Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No spark MS2 V3 board 1967 Beetle
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bug_n_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: No spark MS2 V3 board 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

I am finally trying to start my car and I don't seem to have any spark. I have had my Megasquirt hooked up to my Stim and everything seemed to be working fine but in the car no spark. The whole megasquirt is pretty new to me so if anyone has any thoughts as to settings I might be missing that would be great. A run down of what I'm running. 1915 turbo engine, EFI throttle bodies from CB Performance, EDIS with ford module, 42lbs injectors. I have 40lbs for fuel pressure.
Also with the key just in the on position the fuel pump comes on and stays on is that correct or should it just prime for a sec and then go off till the car starts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks
John
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark MS2 V3 board 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

When cranking, does megatune/tunerstudio show an rpm signal?
What are you using for rpm input?

Do you have the MS controlling a ground for a fuel pump relay? That is all it is designed to control.

Many other questions, but we'll start with the basics. And and licensed version of TS is highly recommended for tuning.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark MS2 V3 board 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

The EDIS Module is self contained and will run the engine without the MS unit.
You might want to check your PiP and SAW wires to make sure they are correctly wired.
Also check your VR wires to make sure they are connected to the EDIS module correctly.

It's usually something simple like a wire connected backwards........BTDT.

I've been EDIS free for two years now..... Wink

But it worked flawlessly for me for two years also. It is a robust system.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: No spark MS2 V3 board 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

bug_n_67 wrote:
I am finally trying to start my car and I don't seem to have any spark. I have had my Megasquirt hooked up to my Stim and everything seemed to be working fine but in the car no spark. The whole megasquirt is pretty new to me so if anyone has any thoughts as to settings I might be missing that would be great. A run down of what I'm running. 1915 turbo engine, EFI throttle bodies from CB Performance, EDIS with ford module, 42lbs injectors. I have 40lbs for fuel pressure.
Also with the key just in the on position the fuel pump comes on and stays on is that correct or should it just prime for a sec and then go off till the car starts?

Thanks
John

Your fuel pump should prime and stop on start up , and like clone bug said the EDIS basically can run the motor on its own so as long as you have the crank sensor and all the wirring correct it should spark , check your connections .. If your willing to take some more time why dont you just eliminate the EDIS and have one less component to fail , you can do spark with the megasquirt alone ,,,
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
bug_n_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark MS2 V3 board 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

So to start, I undid my MS2 and turned the engine over with just the EDIS module hooked up and still no spark. I checked it has power to it and it is grounded. So thoughts on what to check on the module?

John
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark MS2 V3 board 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

bug_n_67 wrote:
So to start, I undid my MS2 and turned the engine over with just the EDIS module hooked up and still no spark. I checked it has power to it and it is grounded. So thoughts on what to check on the module?

John

You sure EDIS module is good... If not, good reason to eliminate it...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark MS2 V3 board 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

I've never dealt with EDIS, always used direct control single coil setups. I will be helping with a wasted spark direct control on a VR this summer. You have MS2, you should be able to do any config you want w/o some other controllers being involved. That just makes for more complication and more things to fail.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: No spark MS2 V3 board 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

EDIS is a very solid system and has a limp home mode.
If it doesn't work it will more than likely be a wiring issue.
Make sure the VR sensor is connected to the Module correctly.
Make sure the module is wired correctly and the grounds are connected.

Last, make sure you have the PIP and SAW wires connected to the ECU correctly.

Here is an old pic of my module connection.

The MS Extra Site should have a diagram of how the wires go. It's been over 2 yrs. since I messed with EDIS and can't remember details.
I know Mario at thedubshop.net used to have the diagram posted on his website that you could download.

Do you have the VR sensor and trigger wheel installed correctly????

Once you have it wired right the engine should start without the ECU hooked to the module.
If you leave the SAW wire disconnected you can then check that you have the timing correct. It should be at 10 degrees BTDC at idle to full throttle.
That is the limp home mode.

If the timing is not at 10 Degrees BTDC then you do NOT have the Sensor/Trigger wheel set up correctly.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: No spark MS2 V3 board 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

It should run on the 10deg limp all by itself if its correct .
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
bug_n_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark MS2 V3 board 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance yet to test the EDIS module, but I'm running the MS2 extra V3 board. Also the toothed wheel and VR sensor is from CB Performance (http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2093) coil and module from a Ford. I will try over the next couple day to check that I'm getting 12 volts coming out of the module to see if that is working right.

John
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: No spark MS2 V3 board 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

bug_n_67 wrote:
I haven't had a chance yet to test the EDIS module, but I'm running the MS2 extra V3 board. Also the toothed wheel and VR sensor is from CB Performance (http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2093) coil and module from a Ford. I will try over the next couple day to check that I'm getting 12 volts coming out of the module to see if that is working right.

John

So you are not using the Ford VR sensor????

You might want to check if the CB sensor is compatible.

I use the EDIS coil with my V3 MS-2 but I eliminated the EDIS module and went to direct fire.
Once it is set up it is much easier than all the wiring of the EDIS module.

Mario has a very nice Crank fire system with sensor and I had him modify my V3 board for direct fire.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: No spark MS2 V3 board 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
bug_n_67 wrote:

John

So you are not using the Ford VR sensor????

You might want to check if the CB sensor is compatible.

I use the EDIS coil with my V3 MS-2 but I eliminated the EDIS module and went to direct fire.
Once it is set up it is much easier than all the wiring of the EDIS module.

Mario has a very nice Crank fire system with sensor and I had him modify my V3 board for direct fire.

Thats the first thing i thought too , i wnt on the cb site and checked it , its a 2 wire sensor so its a vr but you never know ?? , i think hes got it wired wrong.. there is plenty of info on install of that EDIS go step by step and it should crank on limp 10 deg ...
"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: