Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What bracket/shield/guard thing is this?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
BugNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: What bracket/shield/guard thing is this? Reply with quote

I had a pair of these mounted to the rear bumper brackets inside the fenders. They look like some kind of gravel guard or heat shield, but I don't see them protecting anything. I've search the net far and wide, but I can't find anything that looks like it, and not knowing its name or purpose makes any additional search a challenge. Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tucker

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 Beetle, 1776cc, manual conversion (done by PO), Bosch 034 SVDA, 34Pict-3, 2.5" drop spindles w/disc brakes, DIY 4” narrowed beam w/Airkewld adjusters, 205/65R15 out back and 175/55R15 up front on EMPI GT-8s.

1974 Kombi Safare Custom Camper NUGGET that needs everything

My YouTube build videos: School St. Garage.

Sold with sadness:
'73 VW Bug
'79 VW Bus

Sold with joy:
'99 VW Beetle TDI (all I miss are the mpgs)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What bracket/shield/guard thing is this? Reply with quote

It looks a little like the bracket that holds the trans oil tank or the vacuum tank on an autostick beetle.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
BugNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What bracket/shield/guard thing is this? Reply with quote

We have a winner! It's for an autostick vacuum canister. There's one in this eBay auction mounted to the can:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vw-Beetle-Autostick-Vacuum...mp;vxp=mtr

Wow, what a pull, Brian. Thanks!

Now if anyone knows why my manual Bug would have two, one on each bumper bracket, I'll rename my oldest kid after you.

1969 Beetle, 1776cc, manual conversion (done by PO), Bosch 034 SVDA, 34Pict-3, 2.5" drop spindles w/disc brakes, DIY 4” narrowed beam w/Airkewld adjusters, 205/65R15 out back and 175/55R15 up front on EMPI GT-8s.

Sold with sadness:
'73 VW Bug
'79 VW Bus

Sold with joy:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What bracket/shield/guard thing is this? Reply with quote

BugNerd wrote:
We have a winner! It's for an autostick vacuum canister. There's one in this eBay auction mounted to the can:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vw-Beetle-Autostick-Vacuum...mp;vxp=mtr

Wow, what a pull, Brian. Thanks!

Now if anyone knows why my manual Bug would have two, one on each bumper bracket, I'll rename my oldest kid after you.

It's been converted to manual. His name will be VICTOR.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BugNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What bracket/shield/guard thing is this? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
It's been converted to manual. His name will be VICTOR.

Lucky me. My oldest has VICTORIA as a middle name. I'll inform her of the slight edit in the morning. Very Happy

Just dug into the service manual. One was for the ATF tank and one was for the vacuum canister.

The conversion theory makes sense. The engine is an exchange 1600, and there was no year-correct deck lid with the Autostick script on it. Anything else peculiar that would let me know this used to be the automatic?

Sold with sadness:
'73 VW Bug
'79 VW Bus

Sold with joy:
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: What bracket/shield/guard thing is this? Reply with quote

An autostick will have a hole in the passenger fender well where the neck for oil tank went through. Oil fill/dipstick was inside the engine compartment while the tank was under the fender.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
BugNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What bracket/shield/guard thing is this? Reply with quote

Confirmed. The hole is there.

I also just noticed the Autostick shift pattern on the ashtray (never looked closely), as well as some wires on the passenger fender well hole and the transmission, one of which is likely a temp switch.

Sold with sadness:
'73 VW Bug
'79 VW Bus

Sold with joy:
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: What bracket/shield/guard thing is this? Reply with quote

Kind of too bad it wasn't left an autostick, but what's done is done-- drive it and enjoy it!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
BugNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: What bracket/shield/guard thing is this? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Kind of too bad it wasn't left an autostick, but what's done is done-- drive it and enjoy it!

Yeah, it's a bit of a mystery. The whole drive train was replaced (it has an exchange 1600, not the original 1500, and the manual tranny), and based on my research, the engine (and likely the trans) was swapped out within just a few years of its birth. Fire? Abuse? Who knows.

I'm just trying to bring the little guy back to life, give it some dignity, and have some fun. Hasn't run since 2003!

Sold with sadness:
'73 VW Bug
'79 VW Bus

Sold with joy:
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What bracket/shield/guard thing is this? Reply with quote

active atf light in instrument cluster as well
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: