Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inner cross shaft bushing removal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metsven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Inner cross shaft bushing removal Reply with quote

Hi,

I am replacing all the gaskets and bushings of my transmission. How can I take out the inner cross shaft bushing, the one inside the transmission. Not the one that's being held in place with the screw.
Thanks,

Sven
metsven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Inner cross shaft bushing removal Reply with quote

Alright, found the answer myself. What I did was use a 3/4NF16 tap. Make sure you center it correctly. Slowly I tapped it all the way down until it bottomed out. Then continue to turn the tap the same way and the bushing will be pushed upwards. In my case it went up about a 1/4", enough to get my water pump pliers and twist it out after I removed the tap first. You do have to clean out all the shavings from tapping the bushing. It didn't cut through the bushing. But in your case, check if the tap is not bigger then the bushing.
Good luck!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner cross shaft bushing removal Reply with quote

A better solution is to leave it alone. That bushing never, ever, ever wears out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metsven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner cross shaft bushing removal Reply with quote

I should have, but things do wear out eventually. And in my case, the transmission had sit unused for maybe 30+ years. So, I decided to overhaul it completely.
Plus, if it never wears out, it is a serious waste to have that bushing always included with a rebuild kit.
But the next time, I will take your advice and maybe skip it that time.

Bye,

Sven
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: