Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

hi frank .been a long time any update on your motor did you try the 28 mm venture yet ? I have had a slow start this year I am now working on my bug .I just bought a brand new bocar 34pict carb . it runs good the old bocar is being rebuilt by me at the shop I am going to open up the venture but want to know what size works best for you take care spencerfvee
spencerfvee wrote:
hi frank its 15 degs out snow and cold cant do much driving at all I don't want salt on the car . its gong to be about may be for I get the bug out and drive it . remember frank going from a 135 main jet to a 132 main jet with the 75 air will work better. going to a 132 and using a 60 air jet will make it more richer than the 135 main with the 75 air it would be like using a 147 main with a 75 air jet . just my two cents spencerfvee
Frank Bassman wrote:
Well I am back with an update on fuel economy. Not seeing the numbers I wish for but I am close.

On the highway I am seeing 26.5 mpg
Combined I get a solid 24-25.

City about the same. Running on E10.

Jetted 57.5 , 135 , 75 air. I am running a carb opened to a 27mm vent.

The jump from 1584 to 1699 isn't that great, and I used to run a 127.5 on the 1600 without a problem... Plugs looked clean always. But the motor responded nice for a 1600. I don't believe it ran lean either. I'm beginning to think perhaps the 135 is a tad rich for the 1700... Even though the plugs look clean. I mean they are protruded plugs so they stay quite clean regardless. (I have found.) I am going to go through this tankfull and then I will switch to. 132 main with the 60 air and see if it makes a difference. I will be keeping an eye on my oil temp gauge to see if any increase in engine temperature is apparent and reflected on the oil. I know, cylinder head temp gauge is better but I dont have a sender for it and quite frankly after my stripped spark plug fiasco I rather not put a sender there Shocked Will be back with my findings.

Spencer, do share your findings also! Hope your holidays were filled with good times and hopefully no indigestion!

-Frank
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

Hey Spencer! Yea it has been a while. Motor is running pretty good, the venturi ended up at 27 mm instead of 28. Jetted 60 idle, 137.5 main and 75z air correction. It doesn't seem to be rich, it runs pretty strong for what it is. Actually, I am getting tired of the intake manifold lacking preheat over here with the header, so I did the sensible Rolling Eyes thing and got a pair of 34 PDSIT Solexes from CB performance. It was that, or choke the engine with a stock exhaust... I figured the solexes were an economical way to start dabbling with dual carbs. Plus I read overall ok things about them. I worked on a porsche replica kit with dual solex 28PBIC and really liked the way that thing ran so I said screw it I'll jump on the bandwagon. I'm in the process of checking them out and jetting them and stuff... I plan on making a detailed thread on them eventually with pictures and observations and stuff. Being simple carbs I think they'll work ok for me.

27mm for the 34 pict worked out for me though! How is it going around your neck of the woods?

-Frank
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

Frank Bassman wrote:
I plan on making a detailed thread on them (cb carbs)eventually with pictures and observations and stuff. Being simple carbs I think they'll work ok for me.

-Frank

That's a great idea. you should do it!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port 1700 85.5 x 74 Reply with quote

hi frank .nice hearing from you .I don't blame you for going dual carbs . but I understand you drive your car almost every day .and I don't .and it can be a pain in the butt to drive a car that does not warm up fast . so keep me posted on how your dual carbs work out . later on. I maybe will try a set myself. thanks for up date I just new you would end up with the 27 mm . I built a bocar with a 27 1/2 mm took the choke out (yes frank I know the warm up takes a long time but the choke never realy worked well ) I am getting back into drag racing .since they totally rebuilt our ohio drag strip .drag way 42 at one time it was the oldest running drag strip in the usa 2 years .$10,000000.00 later. its about done . it is a water cooled track. all cement 1/4 mile track . I don't want to spend a lot of money on a drag car. so I am redoing my only drag race trans for the street .it was brand new 15 years ago with only 28 runs on it . it has a 355 first gear 246 2nd gear 170 3rd gear and I will be putting a 104 4th gear in .it has a 4.125 ring gear from a thing .super diff with 10 tooth spider gears. my bug is heavy and some tracks run 1/8 mile. so it should work well. if it don't I will up the tire size for the street .and if the trans wont do the job I will pull it out and sell it lol and I don't want to spend a lot of money on it . I am hoping to run some good times with the pict 34 carb .I love being the under dog lol sorry about the long e mail. real glade to here from you did you get your car finished yet on the inside ? "i realy like the looks of your bug .take care my friend keep on bugging spencerfvee ]Hey Spencer! Yea it has been a while. Motor is running pretty good, the venturi ended up at 27 mm instead of 28. Jetted 60 idle, 137.5 main and 75z air correction. It doesn't seem to be rich, it runs pretty strong for what it is. Actually, I am getting tired of the intake manifold lacking preheat over here with the header, so I did the sensible Rolling Eyes thing and got a pair of 34 PDSIT Solexes from CB performance. It was that, or choke the engine with a stock exhaust... I figured the solexes were an economical way to start dabbling with dual carbs. Plus I read overall ok things about them. I worked on a porsche replica kit with dual solex 28PBIC and really liked the way that thing ran so I said screw it I'll jump on the bandwagon. I'm in the process of checking them out and jetting them and stuff... I plan on making a detailed thread on them eventually with pictures and observations and stuff. Being simple carbs I think they'll work ok for me.

27mm for the 34 pict worked out for me though! How is it going around your neck of the woods?

-Frank[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: