Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convert Porsche 901 tranny back to Vw
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Born Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Convert Porsche 901 tranny back to Vw Reply with quote

I have a five speed Porsche 901 tranny in my 64 vert with a 69 IRS pan. I'm having problems with the tranny. It does not want to shift into 2nd, 3rd or 4th. I'm going to have it looked. Prayerfully it is only the linkage. Any thoughts?

My second question is how hard is it to convert back to the Vw tranny? I want to go with a IRS freeway flier since the motor is a 1904.
Thank you for any information.
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Porsche 901 tranny back to Vw Reply with quote

You would need to get your car up in the air and take some photos. How the 901 was installed will definitely determine who easy it is to go back. I did a lot of cutting and welding to put mine in, but I wanted my engine to sit exactly where it did with a stock Type 1 trans. Most people won't push the 901 as far forward as I did, but that doesn't mean there wasn't cutting and welding done.

• Shift linkage enters the transmission tunnel at different heights, cutting and welding is usually done here.
    • Front mount is vastly different, lots of ways to do the 901, but stock mounts have probably been cut out.
    • Rear mounts are different, depending on year of 901. Changes are made accordingly.
    • Shifter is usually either a modified beetle setup, or a 911 setup welded into the beetle pan. Again, photos and information on what you have will help answer your questions. Regardless, the stock beetle shift bushing bracket is going to have to be replaced (welded) into the tunnel.

Was it shifting fine previously? You have no problem with 5th, but you have an issue with 4th? How about going down from 5th to 4th? Have you checked the shift bushing, or the attachment to the transmission selector shaft? How was the Z-Bend done in your conversion, bent shift rod or u-joints? How was the conversion done at the front for the shifter? Stock beetle modified to 911, or 911 modified into the beetle pan?

Lots of things it could be in the shift linkage, besides a bad trans...
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1993 C3500 with Cummins swap
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: