Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2387cc combo
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2387cc combo Reply with quote

You are going to love those heads and that SLR choice looks to be a great midway between street and strip. The springs you have look like the K-800's I took out. Couple things on them....They wore out my, guides lifter bores, bend steel push rods and helped wipe two cams (FK8-FK10) in under 500 miles and maybe 4 drag runs. Maybe they weren't set up then or there was something else going on. I had Steve and Greg Tims rework them and I think they mentioned they had to cut the pockets a little deeper to prevent coil bind but that is the way they came new. As soon as I got hem back from them I put CB-650 spring and titanium retainers on just to relieve stress and heat on the street. The other thing is they run hot which is why the other thread that got dug up today about adding cooling fins was started by me. I also have plans for rocker arm spray bars. The plumbing is partially done already. Update the thread after you get some time on the new parts to let us know how they are doing I go to St Thomas, St John and Sint Maarten a lot so it would be great to go to a show to see the cars while I am there.

Also, you are a lucky guy to have such nice cars on an island. I know it's not cheap and is hard to get parts there. It's hard enough on the East Coast for me. I cannot imagine where you are.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2387cc combo Reply with quote

Wow that buggy must haul ass...
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
Deh Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2387cc combo Reply with quote

Yes... I broken the engine about 2 weeks ago. The C. E. heads had race masters springs & valves, CNC ported, 54cc'd. Also.. I live on St Thomas USVI. Look me up when you come through. I can take u around n have a few drinks. Also there are alot of buggies with big CC's. lol. Parts are always mail ordered from CB, Pierside, Carcraft and a few other vendors. Kinda expensive but what can we do? lol... Even my chassis was built in Cali and shipped here. I have a build thread in the Fiberglass Dune Buggy section. USVI Manx Buggy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

55 3 fold Ragtop
Manx Dune buggy 2387cc
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2387cc combo Reply with quote

The Race Masters are the valves and locks but eh springs are still probably the heavy K-800's. Either way you may want to keep a journal of before and after clearances when you do valve adjustments to make sure you are not sinking any seats or flattening the cam. Sure I can look you up for a drink on an island. That's a no brainer!
Keep us posted on what you think of this combo and if any problems arise.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2387cc combo Reply with quote

Every person I've ever talked to from the Virgin Islands who's into VWs owns a 2387cc with superflos Smile
Deh Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2387cc combo Reply with quote

I sure will keep an eye on the valve train set up. The C.E. is basic n CNC ported. I was thinking on replacing them with the K800 springs but I was told not too by a good friend. Street driven K800 will cause to much stress to your valve train like you mention. I'm running from that.. I will sure keep you guys informed of my set up.

Most guys with buggies run a 2 liter motor with 48 IDA's oor Turbo.. Big CC's or bust... lol

55 3 fold Ragtop
Manx Dune buggy 2387cc
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: