Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Hmmm, I'm not sure about the 195's now, my buddy just bought his about 4 months ago brand new, mounted and balanced at $730 in Little Rock. I called guy at shop about two months later and he told me they were still available to get a few sets in if need be, so again I'm not sure.

They stopped making them in February and old stock lingered for a month if that. BFG told me over the phone that they would re release them April 30th but then decided they wouldn't make them again. When I inquired about old stock they said that they tell all of their vendors to send back old stock to BFG HQ as returns. No idea what happened to the old stock but they are NLA sadly.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Well dang, I'm calling up the shop first thing tomorrow morning just to verify that don't have any left.
Looks like my option of the RA18's is looking pretty imminent.

I'd love to have some "meaty" tread tires for this Ozark red clay down here

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Well dang, I'm calling up the shop first thing tomorrow morning just to verify that don't have any left.
Looks like my option of the RA18's is looking pretty imminent.

I'd love to have some "meaty" tread tires for this Ozark red clay down here

You can go with the General Grabbers in 27*8.5r14. They fit and look pretty good on stock wheels. Here is my bus with them as of a few days ago. The cost of the tires ended up being $400 plus mounting and balancing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3 Amigos Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I like the General Tire option. My 71 Westy on stock 14's , GT via nationwide Wal Mart coverage sounds good for a road trip plan. Western USA and Baja travels are planned.
andrew_c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Hey guys, I just got a set of RA18's which I'm pretty excited about.

Based on what I've seen on here, I'm going to go with 30 PSI front and 38 PSI rear.

The '77 that I just bought is my *first ever* vehicle - so forgive this silly question - is there anything in particular I need to mention/specify when I'm getting the tires balanced? Will be taking my new powder coated wheels to have the tires mounted shortly..

Last edited by andrew_c on Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

andrew_c wrote:
Hey guys, I just got a set of RA18's which I'm pretty excited about.

Based on what I've seen on here, I'm going to go with 30 PSI front and 38 PSI rear.

The '77 that I just bought is my *first ever* vehicle - so forgive this silly question - is there anything in particular I need to mention/specify when I'm getting the tires balanced? Will be taking my new powder coated wheels to have the wheels mounted shortly..

Not really. The only thing I'd suggest to protect that investment in tires is to have you front end alignment and suspension components checked if you haven't already. You don't want to wear your tires out faster due to parts suspension parts or an alignment that's out.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Hankook RA18's set of 4 $286 shipped. Off of eBay from vendor out of PA. Fast lane Tires.
Received mine last week.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Ended up ordering some General grabbers after getting passenger tires on accident Embarassed So I will update with pics of wheels at full lock ect when I get them Very Happy

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
bent_karma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Been searching and searching I may need to call the main company for this but will these fit my 71 bay deluxe?

I'm going as close to the manual as possible not sure if the new ones I found are 6 ply or... I bought the bus with these:

Here's the website I don't understand if it's commercial or passenger tires
http://www.duraturntires.com/tires/consumer/passenger-cuv/mozzo-4s/
I know the weight ratio is slightly lower than what's on the manual
'07 Mazda3 Hatchback GT [the Mazda]
'06 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S (gone at the moment) sold
'18 Subaru Forester 2.5i [Sue Bee]

"Water is for drinking"

Last edited by bent_karma on Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

See where it says R14...
That's your rim diameter.
So yes, they'll fit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

They are a bit shorter than the stock tires would be.

The P = passenger car tire= weak sidewalls.

You can do a lot better.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
I respectfully disagree. I've been driving Buses and Vanagons for 25 years and have had any number of tires on them, including OEM Michelins, Conti's, Bridgsestones, etc. etc. etc. (To be fair all of them were highway tires; I have no comparison with off-road tires as I don't care for the extra road noise so I never use them.) Of all the ones I have tried, I have found the Hankooks to be the best of the all-season options on snow and ice (although not as good as actual snow tires, of course).

I completely agree. The Hankooks are an awesome time. No experience with its wet capabilities, but they are excellent in dry conditions. Little or no noise on the highway and have taken me to some moderate rocky off road jaunts. People would tell me I'd never make it back to that spot......

Going with the General Grabbers to replace the aged Hankooks. Main reason is the amount of rocky roads I frequent..... I would have no regrets going with Hankooks again. Even better than the Yokohama 356.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

From my short experience with the RA18's, cornering seems firm, braking is responsive, and have had no issues with wet pavement handling.
It has been a 100 miles or so, so time will really tell. Again, I love supporting our true VW vendors, without their efforts and businesses, this community wouldn't be as successful and fun. With that in mind, I didn't hesitate to spend money elsewhere to buy tires, I completely believe I spend good money at VW suppliers. You can't beat $286 for (4) 185/r14 Hankook RA18's. Wth less cash into tires, that means I can buy good VW items!!!
Ride the wave,
Sam

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Hello, i just purchased a 5set of ra18s 185-14s . I've seen allot of tire pressure posts about the ra08s however, i couldn't really find any regarding a hightop camper. I know that there isn't really an exact psi for the ra08s and it's more based on personal preference. However, is there a ball park other than 32-42 psi for the fronts and backs. I do plan on taking it on the highway for only 40 minutes in convoy during early december, i don't know if that will affect the recommended psi (not driving on fresh snow, mainly water and slush and possibly black ice worst case) . I haven't really drove the bus that much yet and these ra18s are still in the mail (i got them off of goga-tire, a 5 set and shipping for 420.66). I plan on starting them at 34 in the front and 42 in the rear based off what everyone is suggesting with the ra08s and adjusting them from there .

Edit for link (they also have 195s http://www.giga-tires.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=30...CJI3w_wcB)
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Why would a high top be any different than a normal bus? Don't overthink this.

Start with 30 up front and 40-44 in the rear. You might add a few pounds if you like later but start there.

ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

All I can think when seeing this bus the other day is that the owner is asking for trouble with those tires and rims. They can't be good for a bus, right?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bent_karma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Maybe he/she knows something we don't. Tires became a huge headache for me, my bus is not ready for tires yet but I know I'll be struggling to find good ones at an affordable price.
'07 Mazda3 Hatchback GT [the Mazda]
'06 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S (gone at the moment) sold
'18 Subaru Forester 2.5i [Sue Bee]

"Water is for drinking"
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I've noticed the RA18's are very popular, so I pulled up the Hankook site.
They label it a "Summer" tire. wth?
Just the fact that it's not all season makes it less appealing to me.
Do the folks running these only take the Bus out during good weather?
I'm thinking they must suck in the snow?

My 1968 Campmobile
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
I've noticed the RA18's are very popular, so I pulled up the Hankook site.
They label it a "Summer" tire. wth?
Just the fact that it's not all season makes it less appealing to me.
Do the folks running these only take the Bus out during good weather?
I'm thinking they must suck in the snow?

Most tires I have used that are labeled as "mud and snow" or "all season" suck in the mud and snow, too.

The RA18 is not designed to be used in anything other than summer driving conditions, but they will probably handle some adversity. Having them siped would help, too.

Many folks only drive their VW's in good weather because they don't want them to get beat up and rusty.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

ewdb92 wrote:
All I can think when seeing this bus the other day is that the owner is asking for trouble with those tires and rims. They can't be good for a bus, right?

Other than the flat left front, why would he be asking for trouble? They make the bus look a bit silly, but they likely won't hurt anything.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 162 of 198

Jump to: