Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

901 transmission
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chadd_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: 901 transmission Reply with quote

Hey guys just curious if you could help me out. I bought a bug that has a Porsche 5 speed trans in it that I am going to be selling. I am curious as to what you guys think it would be worth? From what I could find out it's for a 911 between 65 and 68. The number on the trans is 901.301.101.02 and below that there is a stamp that looks like it says 51/65. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 901 transmission Reply with quote

Check the 911 classifieds here and click "show wanted ads only" to see what people are willing to pay that are looking for one. If it's in perfect condition I would list it for $2000 + shipping and see if you get any hits if no hits after a Month lower price to $1500 + shipping. Why would you not want a 5 speed, is geared to high for your motor?
Chadd_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 901 transmission Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me man that helped a lot and I ended up working a deal with a good friend of mine for it. It came in a car I bought that was running a bigger motor. I will be running my 1600CC single port so it would have been to much for that little motor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 901 transmission Reply with quote

Chadd_T wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me man that helped a lot and I ended up working a deal with a good friend of mine for it. It came in a car I bought that was running a bigger motor. I will be running my 1600CC single port so it would have been to much for that little motor.

you got any photos of the set up, it would interesting to see how it was rigged together, the linkage and such. I have thought about doing a conversion into a Bug chassis. I got a few 901's sitting around. (914 style) Id need to flip the ring gear to make them run right in the rear motor car.

Id like to see how yours went together if have any photos.

thanks

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 901 transmission Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Chadd_T wrote:

you got any photos of the set up, it would interesting to see how it was rigged together, the linkage and such. I have thought about doing a conversion into a Bug chassis. I got a few 901's sitting around. (914 style) Id need to flip the ring gear to make them run right in the rear motor car.

Id like to see how yours went together if have any photos.

thanks

Yes like what kind of shifter/shift plate, shift linkage, Trans mount as I have a 901 5 speed out of a 912 which has the right gearing. Pic.s would be great.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 901 transmission Reply with quote

A lot of work went to fit that to the VW pan - frame horns clearanced, different drive shafts, engine mount, new shift rod and shifter plate. Shame you didn't go with a T4 or bigger T1 engine. Many of us only dream of a 5 speed trans!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 901 transmission Reply with quote

That's lame. You should just keep the 5 speed. The ratios will likely be fine. These are NOT freeway flyers! The cars fly because the motors buzz higher. 911 and 912 used the same ratios. (A,F,M, S, X) on early cars. 914's had higher ratios in 5th, maybe 4th. because a bit more torque, and less wind resistance. (914's have very good Cx, actually, witha CDa about the same as Acura NSX)
I doubt a 1600 single port has much less torque, just lower hp peak. Changing back is a lot of work to gain nothing.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: