Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914-912E smog stuff discarded
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dearindeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: 914-912E smog stuff discarded Reply with quote

I removed smog pump tubing from my heads and promptly lost one of the fittings when obtaining a like-threaded plug. Now on startup it roars up to 4K rpm and likely dies regardless of idle-valve opening. Since I don't know if reverting to the tubing, (which would only cushion exhaust pressure since it was blocked from the smog-pump input afaik,) would resume normal running, has anybody a clue about this? If you can even figure out what this says, do anybody know where info exists for motorists who have removed some or all of their smog-control equipment? Thank yeu
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 914-912E smog stuff discarded Reply with quote

Dearindeed wrote:
I removed smog pump tubing from my heads and promptly lost one of the fittings when obtaining a like-threaded plug. Now on startup it roars up to 4K rpm and likely dies regardless of idle-valve opening. Since I don't know if reverting to the tubing, (which would only cushion exhaust pressure since it was blocked from the smog-pump input afaik,) would resume normal running, has anybody a clue about this? If you can even figure out what this says, do anybody know where info exists for motorists who have removed some or all of their smog-control equipment? Thank yeu

Which engine do you have?
Are you using stock injection?

If you are using stock injection......its not clear from your post....which tubes you removed from the head.

If you removed the cloth covered hoses that connect to a nipple on each rocker box....put them back on. They do not detract from performance in any way. Those are PCV hoses. They do not vent FROM the head.....they vent INTO the head.

Without them you will have a massive vacuum leak with the fuel injection system and without proper venting you will quickly end up with nassive oil leaks. Also the PCV system on the iniected 914, 411 and 412 engines.....is superb. It works well.....keeps the rocker boxes and oil noticably cleaner and the heads slightly cooler.

If you are speaking of the steel tubes that thread into the exhust ports.....California cars only .....for the exhaust gas injection......most people thread in a 10mm bolt or plug. Do a search for this and you can find the thread pitch as its been wpoken about many times. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dearindeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 914-912E smog stuff discarded Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for replying; My motor is from a 912E and has no tubes in the valve covers. The fittings I removed are the California pump inlets that add Oxygen to the exhaust for combustion in the can added to the manifolds before the heat exchanger. I found a couple plugs from a spare head and a bicycle axle with the matching threads cut in half. I suspected the throttle valve switch which wasn't on my bus, (by which I'm supposed to be familiar with this engine, or not,) but guess I'll measure things with what tools I have. It seems there is no vacuum leaks if it's giving itself so much gas with no pedal input; disconnecting the cold-start wire didn't change things. It's as if the spring which closes the flap in the airflow meter broke, but I don't know where the air is coming from if the throttle is closed; the only route between the exhaust and intake valve is through the cylinder.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 914-912E smog stuff discarded Reply with quote

Dearindeed wrote:
Thanks a lot for replying; My motor is from a 912E and has no tubes in the valve covers. The fittings I removed are the California pump inlets that add Oxygen to the exhaust for combustion in the can added to the manifolds before the heat exchanger. I found a couple plugs from a spare head and a bicycle axle with the matching threads cut in half. I suspected the throttle valve switch which wasn't on my bus, (by which I'm supposed to be familiar with this engine, or not,) but guess I'll measure things with what tools I have. It seems there is no vacuum leaks if it's giving itself so much gas with no pedal input; disconnecting the cold-start wire didn't change things. It's as if the spring which closes the flap in the airflow meter broke, but I don't know where the air is coming from if the throttle is closed; the only route between the exhaust and intake valve is through the cylinder.

OK....the exhaust leaks are one thing...the high idle and intake is totally unrelated.

From the sound of you...you have L-jet injection?....have the flap box? If so....the rubber boot or hose between the flap box and the throttle body...MUST BE PERFECT. The symptom you are describing is a cracked boot or hose between the throttle body and the AFM metering unit......or could be an auxiliary air regulator unit that is leaking or not closing. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dearindeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 914-912E smog stuff discarded Reply with quote

OK I found the 4th smog pump fitting in the mobile tool bag, saving $75. Removed all the plugs without dropping too many parts in the tin. I was expecting to be driving around, but refitting the smog equipment changed nothing in the faulty operation.

PLUGGING UP SMOG PUMP FITTING HOLES DOESN'T BREAK FI MOTOR

So if this topic has any value it may persuade people who've moved out of CA that setting aside their smog pump equipment has no adverse effect, in agreement with the most recent reply to my request for help in figuring out why on starting up the air/fuel system acts like the pedal is floored and dies, even, from one or two tries, when I open the throttle pedal halfway during the similarly rapid decline in RPMs.

I'm having trouble accepting the good advice of making sure the S-tube coming from the flap is cracked, has holes. That helps explain where all the air is coming from, with a closed throttle, but it means the cold start valve dumped way more gas than before. It makes me think I didn't rightly hook up the fuel pressure regulator, which I'm used to having its input line holding it to the front tin. Or maybe I broke the flap spring dicking with the CO adjustment.

At any rate, I know this has to be something I caused by trying to fix what turned out to be a loose plug, which was in a head I thought I wrecked when a plug without a barely visible helicoil wouldn't thread in. So I must have broken something when tightening a plug would have fixed everything, or mucked things up removing the tin to get at the plug hole. It was a lot easier to fix this motor when it needed to be fixed more often, but I guess I will very carefully check the rubber stuff since listening might help me fix it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 914-912E smog stuff discarded Reply with quote

Bear in mind......with fuel injection you are allowed "0" vacuum leaks.....period.

If anything....any hose or boot...allows air into the center plenum or intakes....downstream of the throttle plate .....it is air.....that has bypassed the metering unit....therefore the metering unit adds no fuel for that air dosage.....so you run lean.

Likewise......a crack or hole in the boot between metering flap and throtgle plate....lets the throttle plate draw in air....that has not moved the flap......to allow fuel allotment for that air.....so you run lean.

Also.....any vacuum leaks in the center manifold....affects the vacuum signature to the fuel pressure regulator.....generally cauing you to run ric at the wrong time.

Yes.....plugging the exhaust gas pjmp inlets has no performance .....other than it will require usually a slight tweak to the CO mixture and idle....due to the valve overlap buult into the camshaft. Ray
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 914-912E smog stuff discarded Reply with quote

Not sure about the 1976 912E heads but what works quite well on 73-74 bus heads with smog tubes removed is late valve adjuster screws. the big ones. I just used old worn ones and locktited them in.
I had a 912e once and I think the smog tubes are similar.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Porsche Driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 914-912E smog stuff discarded Reply with quote

Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum Very Happy

Ray was right, check the rubber boot to AFM. Considering the 912e will not run well with vacuum leaks, I became a fan of self vulcanizing silicone tape! This stuff is not sticky and will self cure itself to form a tight seal. I used it to fix the rubberboot flexible part and it worked great.

Another frequent leak ares is the 90 degree angle rubber boot at oil filler. Remove and inspect as often they are cracked below outside visable area. I replace these things with silicone 90 degree part (original but the original rubber NLA).

Also check all connecting pipes/hoses to this rubber boot.

Check all hoses, once more... and replace them as you will not spot tiny holes. It's not costing a lot to do but will help you in finding the issue and get a reliable nice running engine.

Ensure that you blocked off correctly as it sounds like a major leak to me

Another item to check is the rubber on the idle adjustment screw, very easy to replace, but can be area of minor leaks as well on this engine.

There are a few more options, but if engine ran fine before them unlikely these will be the cause out of a sudden.

Good luck with finding the issue, very rewarding once found and hear a nice spinning engine but be patient.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 914-912E smog stuff discarded Reply with quote

coming into this late, if you have a high idle on a afc injected 912e, either the throttle is open, or the intake air is bypassing the throttle sucking the air flow meter door open. Not a common scenario as in d jet cars. USUALLY, the throttle body boot splits, air comes in from the atmosphere, and the air flow meter door therefore does not react and the car will not idle. (same thing when the oil cap seals are bad) Disconnecting the emission tubing at the heads would not cause this, but there they connect to intake system could
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: