Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire size
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertburdett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Tire size Reply with quote

I am looking for some advice. I have a 1967 Karmann Ghia and I was wondering what a good tire size is? The car has 2.5 inch drop spindles on a stock width beam. The tire size is 135SR15 in the front and 165SR15 in the back. I am looking for a tire that is going to provide more stability while cruising the highway. I was thinking 195/60-15 in the front and 205/65-15 in the back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Robert
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TIRE SIZE Reply with quote

No need to go bigger than 165's on the front.. 135's are funky! Do what you want in the rear 165's or bigger.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TIRE SIZE Reply with quote

robertburdett wrote:
I am looking for some advice. I have a 1967 Karmann Ghia and I was wondering what a good tire size is? The car has 2.5 inch drop spindles on a stock width beam. The tire size is 135SR15 in the front and 165SR15 in the back. I am looking for a tire that is going to provide more stability while cruising the highway. I was thinking 195/60-15 in the front and 205/65-15 in the back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

I had 185/60/R15s with the same set-up (2.5" drop with stock width beam) but the tyres were too big and damaged my newly painted fenders. The rear can take tyres up to 195 or 205 in width, but the front is problematic. I think 155's are going to be the widest you can go at the front, provided the tyres don't stand higher than 24.5". Perhaps the 145/65/R15 - found on Smart cars.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TIRE SIZE Reply with quote

195/60R15 won't fit in front with a stock width front beam and drop spindles. What rims do you have? Depending on your rims and offset, you can probably fit up to a 165/65R15 up front.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size Reply with quote

205's in the back will work but will be very tight, I would go with 195's to be safe.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mlhsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size Reply with quote

'67s have a "long axle" in the back. Anything other than stock is very iffy. It largely depends on the wheel that you use. I am running 155s on Porsche 2-liter replicas and it is very tight!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size Reply with quote

mlhsquared wrote:
'67s have a "long axle" in the back. Anything other than stock is very iffy.

Very true.
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
mlhsquared wrote:
'67s have a "long axle" in the back. Anything other than stock is very iffy.

Very true.

These are 185/55/15s with SHORT axles on the rear of my '66, but the wheels are 5.5 wide/ET15. Just switching to a 5.5/ET25 made all the difference.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: