Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magnetic Bikini top
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
driftman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Magnetic Bikini top Reply with quote

I just thinking of how to connect a bikini top on a budget. I see that there is some cheaper bikini tops available that require you to drill holes in ur windshield frame to connect. Has anyone ever used Magnets to do this function? I know they make some pretty strong magnets so I was thinking of making one of these like this. If no one has any experience with this, maybe Ill try it out.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetic Bikini top Reply with quote

Intuitively I would guess that it wouldn't take too much speed to get the top flapping enough to dislodge the magnets. But my intuition has been wrong before.

Magnets will scratch the paint.
driftman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetic Bikini top Reply with quote

Well I planned on sewing the magnets inside little pockets covered in fabric, so no direct contact between magnet and frame. I also intend to put several magnets on it, like every 6" so like 10-12 magnets and would be the Neodymium aka rare earth magnets. they are cheap and supposed to be the strongest magnets you can get. each one will hold 80ish lbs of direct pull. I'm not an engineer so I dont' know how to calculate this but just in theory it seems possible. I think I will try it out and if it works, it could have some great uses.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetic Bikini top Reply with quote

I have the tops with the channel that screws to the wind shield frame and really like it. You don't see it with the top installed and with the soft top up you don't notice it as it lays just below the top. Easy to install the bikini top. There is a lot of air pressure on the top and do not think magnets will hold as you have to put a lot of pressure on the back straps to stop the top from flapping around. I have put the Thing Shop windshield braces on both Things so as not to bend the windshield.
GB
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
driftman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetic Bikini top Reply with quote

awe! see I haven't had any experience at all with a top on my thing yet. I am still restoring it some before its maiden voyage. So I guess I can see pulling that hard could possibly pull those off. I'm just so stuck on not putting holes in my windshield frame, since everyone thinks the replacements are gold. hahaha
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetic Bikini top Reply with quote

How about removing the weather strip from the channel at top of the windshield frame and have a strip sewed in to slide into the channel .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetic Bikini top Reply with quote

I thought the same but when I bought the white one it had about 10 snaps screwed into the frame. We just removed them and welded up the holes and ground it smooth, never knew they were there. The holes I drilled for the channel were drilled and taped. The channel was painted the color of the car. Just makes it so easy to install and remove. Don't have to worry about looking for the weather strip when I want to put the soft top up. Or storing a frame. Just remove the tie downs in the rear and fold up.
GB
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetic Bikini top Reply with quote

I bought that bikini with the channel for the windshield from the guy in Florida who makes em. Pretty reasonable price, he got measurements of stuff like my rollbar, and then made me the top.
Fits great, flaps only a little and sure has saved my bald head on top from overdoing the sun. I am surprised how much quieter the Thing is with the bikini on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: