Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cell phone & Riding a bike
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
candyman wrote:
They just passed a law here in missoula banning cell phone use while operating a bike, similar to cars

See? Apparently we really do need common sense laws.

Only for those who have no common sense. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

Last year my GF and I were riding our bikes home at night in the dark. We had our lights, helmets, reflective gear on etc.
We came to an intersection and were almost sideswiped by a young hipster chick on the ubiquitous upright beach cruiser bike, all in black, no helmet etc. who ran the stop sign because she had her head all the way down and was texting with two hands — no hands on the bike at all.
We made a left and caught up with her at a light that she actually managed to notice and stop at. I didn't say anything but just looked at her (still texting) and shook my head. She must have noticed out of the corner of her eye because she looked up and said "stop being judgemental!".
I said "it's not judging, it's just plain safety".
She just sneered and repeated her "judgemental" comment before riding away into the murky night...

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
Last year my GF and I were riding our bikes home at night in the dark. We had our lights, helmets, reflective gear on etc.
We came to an intersection and were almost sideswiped by a young hipster chick on the ubiquitous upright beach cruiser bike, all in black, no helmet etc. who ran the stop sign because she had her head all the way down and was texting with two hands — no hands on the bike at all.
We made a left and caught up with her at a light that she actually managed to notice and stop at. I didn't say anything but just looked at her (still texting) and shook my head. She must have noticed out of the corner of her eye because she looked up and said "stop being judgemental!".
I said "it's not judging, it's just plain safety".
She just sneered and repeated her "judgemental" comment before riding away into the murky night...

world is full of them Anxious
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

I was riding my bike one day , minding my own bizness headed home and there comes a sherriff.....towards me.....I see he is not looking at the road, not looking at me, but effing with his junk(no not that junk all the crap they have in thier cars that block thier view!!! well it didnt block his view of me I was to the left so....he was just not paying attn at all when he ran me into a ditch and just kept going, never saw shit. I did get a nice road rash.... I see them all the tyme on the phone&also texting.I nolonger ride bike.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I was riding my bike one day , minding my own bizness headed home and there comes a sherriff.....towards me.....I see he is not looking at the road, not looking at me, but effing with his junk(no not that junk all the crap they have in thier cars that block thier view!!! well it didnt block his view of me I was to the left so....he was just not paying attn at all when he ran me into a ditch and just kept going, never saw shit. I did get a nice road rash.... I see them all the tyme on the phone&also texting.I nolonger ride bike.

Don't be fooled Mark- he noticed you. Why did you choose a ditch over the front page?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

didnt want to wake up dead. Wink
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

We took a bike ride to our "town center" to get breakfast last weekend, and then a short excursion to a market to get stuff for dinner...

Yeah, of course, guy texting & riding his bike came cruising by, passing us in the middle of a traffic lane.

But what made it special, was the fact that he had one of those bike-trailers with 2 kids in it.

Wow.

So the issue is... If you're driving a car & slam on your brakes to not hit the guy's 2 kids... The guy texting while driving the car behind you, will probably slam into you...
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

e&m_ghia wrote:
We took a bike ride to our "town center" to get breakfast last weekend, and then a short excursion to a market to get stuff for dinner...

Yeah, of course, guy texting & riding his bike came cruising by, passing us in the middle of a traffic lane.

But what made it special, was the fact that he had one of those bike-trailers with 2 kids in it.

Wow.

So the issue is... If you're driving a car & slam on your brakes to not hit the guy's 2 kids... The guy texting while driving the car behind you, will probably slam into you...

Are you sure he wasn't just trying to find Jigglypuff?
Texting is so lame now that we have a new juvenile app that is apparently as addictive as crack and makes peoples brains turn to poo.

--Oh, snap! Just caught Charizard. I'm so baller I'm gonna take a screen shot and post this shit on social media. Huh, how'd I get here in the middle of I-5?--
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=boombox+on+bi...ajaxhist=0

the next wave ... Wink
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

No the next wave is Pokémon Go Mad
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

olspeed wrote:
No the next wave is Pokémon Go Mad

and its only out in what, 3 country?
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
e&m_ghia wrote:

Wow.

Texting is so lame now that we have a new juvenile app that is apparently as addictive as crack and makes peoples brains turn to poo.

--Oh, snap! Just caught Charizard. I'm so baller I'm gonna take a screen shot and post this shit on social media. Huh, how'd I get here in the middle of I-5?--

Two idiots walked off a cliff in northern San Diego County playing that game and ended up in the hospital. I guess it's a good thing they weren't riding bikes.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
awreed wrote:

Two idiots walked off a cliff in northern San Diego County playing that game and ended up in the hospital. I guess it's a good thing they weren't riding bikes.

Finally something comes along that forces the couch potatos to get up and actually go for a walk, yet some are too stupid to handle the real world Rolling Eyes

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Maticus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
e&m_ghia wrote:

Wow.

In Pokemon Go's defense, it's a pretty fun game, and it's getting kids (and young adults alike) outside. People who grew with the games and shows have had fantasies of traveling and capturing pokemon (which the original games kind of did). Also, if you catch a Charizard out in the open, that IS pretty baller. Regarding going out to "the middle of I-5" I've never seen any near highways, and rarely on busy streets. But, stupid is as stupid does. Wink
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

Maticus wrote:
awreed wrote:
e&m_ghia wrote:

Wow.

In Pokemon Go's defense, it's a pretty fun game, and it's getting kids (and young adults alike) outside. People who grew with the games and shows have had fantasies of traveling and capturing pokemon (which the original games kind of did). Also, if you catch a Charizard out in the open, that IS pretty baller. Regarding going out to "the middle of I-5" I've never seen any near highways, and rarely on busy streets. But, stupid is as stupid does. Wink

I live across the street from a park and work downtown near several. It's nice seeing people outside. I've seen some fairly overweight very pale couples playing, that look like they havent been outside at a park in ages. Ditto lots of parents with their kids running around the park.

I wish it wasn't with their screens in their faces, but...

also - fair warning ever time you open the game

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

There are times I am really glad I don't give a shit about phones/games/tech, etc.

This is one of those times.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
There are times I am really glad I don't give a shit about phones/games/tech, etc.

Me too, people point and laugh at me when they see my Flintstones flip phone, I believe it makes me much more efficient since I rarely take it out of my pocket, sometimes I don't even open it for days.
When I'm helping my son work on his truck I make him surrender his phone so I'm not standing around every 5 minutes while he "checks on something".

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Me too, people point and laugh at me when they see my Flintstones flip phone, I believe it makes me much more efficient since I rarely take it out of my pocket, sometimes I don't even open it for days.
When I'm helping my son work on his truck I make him surrender his phone so I'm not standing around every 5 minutes while he "checks on something".

I have a dumb phone, but I use it as a watch so I look at it regularly at work. I probably make 3-4 calls a day. Maybe a text a couple times a week. That's enough.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

I have a dumb phone, but I use it as a watch so I look at it regularly at work. I probably make 3-4 calls a day. Maybe a text a couple times a week. That's enough.

I've never owned a cell phone of any kind. I just started a new job where everyone says "just call in" if I have any questions, need assistance etc. Everyone just assumes I have a phone without even asking.
I just say "sure" and will try and find a business that will let me use their phone if I really need it. Otherwise I just try and be self-reliant and figure out stuff on my own.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phone & Riding a bike Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
As long as you pay attention it really isn't that complicated. I've texted while riding my sport bike down the freeway and I'm still alive.

People are legally obligated to render aid to a person injured in an accident (under a concept called "Duty of Care").

That being said, I would have a difficult time rendering care to someone who Darwin is trying to remove from the gene pool.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: