Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonujj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

Hi guys ,i need some help here , i bought Heater channels from CIP1 for my 70 KG vert, did not come with the re enforcement bar in it and it came with the dog leg welded all one piece,
i am not sure how to weld the bar inside the heater channels as only one end is open how do i weld the other end where the dog leg is welded?
i would appreciate any help ,advise how to get inside the channels and weld it in .
thanks guys ,greatly appreciated. Sad
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

You may want to return it and buy all the pieces separate.

Alternatively you can drill holes every 3-4 inches along the top and bottom of the rocker where the flange of the support will meet. slide the support in with persuasion and plug weld it in.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

bonujj wrote:
Hi guys ,i need some help here , i bought Heater channels from CIP1 for my 70 KG vert, did not come with the re enforcement bar in it and it came with the dog leg welded all one piece,
i am not sure how to weld the bar inside the heater channels as only one end is open how do i weld the other end where the dog leg is welded?
i would appreciate any help ,advise how to get inside the channels and weld it in .

It is my understanding ( which probably means I'm wrong ) that the re-enforcement bar goes into the rocker, not the heater channel. I also have a 70 vert.
The PO of my car installed the heater channels from the inside of the car ( off the pans ) without disturbing the rocker area at al,l and where that re-enforcing bar lives.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything

Last edited by CiderGuy on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
bonujj wrote:

It is my understanding ( which probably means I'm wrong ) that the re-enforcement bar goes into the rocker, not the heater channel. I also have a 70 vert.

You are correct. It goes between the outer rocker skin and the heater channel.

There is an illustration in this link towards the bottom:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...p;start=20
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

Is this what you bought, right?
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D141%2D801%2D041%2DBCOM

You need to study this diagram

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've not used this part before but it seems to be a good idea to have dog leg fitted together. The cabriolet rocker is made up of four separate pieces spot welded together along the top and lower edges. The Coupe uses the same inboard and outboard pieces but misses out on one of the internal reinforcing piece in-between the inner two and outer skin.

This part I've shown from CIP (hopefully is the one you ordered) seems to be the heater channel and divider joined with the dogleg. Buying like that saves a few bucks fitting it all together yourself. To complete the Cabrio rocker you would need to add the outer skin which is this part here

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TAB%2D404%2D421

and the convertible reinforcement, this part here….

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D141%2D801%2D132%2DA

There are left and right side variants so four different pieces are required.

I hope that helps you.

Good luck and tell us how you get on

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
bonujj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

kman wrote:
You may want to return it and buy all the pieces separate.

Alternatively you can drill holes every 3-4 inches along the top and bottom of the rocker where the flange of the support will meet. slide the support in with persuasion and plug weld it in.

I might try to drill holes 3-4 inches and weld will be easier than returning it.
bonujj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
bonujj wrote:

The PO of my car installed the heater channels from the inside of the car ( off the pans ) without disturbing the rocker area at al,l and where that re-enforcing bar lives.

have any pictures to give me an idea, would appreciate it .
bonujj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Is this what you bought, right?
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D141%2D801%2D041%2DBCOM

You need to study this diagram

I've not used this part before but it seems to be a good idea to have dog leg fitted together. The cabriolet rocker is made up of four separate pieces spot welded together along the top and lower edges. The Coupe uses the same inboard and outboard pieces but misses out on one of the internal reinforcing piece in-between the inner two and outer skin.
Thanks for yoour help . will get them and see what goes here and will post result.
This part I've shown from CIP (hopefully is the one you ordered) seems to be the heater channel and divider joined with the dogleg. Buying like that saves a few bucks fitting it all together yourself. To complete the Cabrio rocker you would need to add the outer skin which is this part here

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TAB%2D404%2D421

and the convertible reinforcement, this part here….

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D141%2D801%2D132%2DA

There are left and right side variants so four different pieces are required.

I hope that helps you.

Good luck and tell us how you get on

Nicholas
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

bonujj wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
bonujj wrote:

Is this what you are looking for? This is the convertible support and heater channel before the outer skin went on.

bonujj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
bonujj wrote:

thanks buddy just been away getting back now to the KG appreciate your help,
bonujj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
bonujj wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
bonujj wrote:

Sorry took long to answer , but been away starting back on the KG yeah this is the answer i was looking for thanks for your great help.wow

Is this what you are looking for? This is the convertible support and heater channel before the outer skin went on.

bonujj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

First of all sorry taking so long getting back , just been away,, getting back to my KG,,thank you guys so much for your help on this situation here with the Heater Chanel , really appreciate all the help , going to start on it this week ..again greatly appreciated .
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

isn't there one with the support already installed to the heater channel?? and I've noticed some suppliers state the heater channel won't mate up correctly to existing doglegs?? so you are stuck with a mangled job or buying their doglegs??

Enquiring minds want to know
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
isn't there one with the support already installed to the heater channel?? and I've noticed some suppliers state the heater channel won't mate up correctly to existing doglegs?? so you are stuck with a mangled job or buying their doglegs??

The support s not needed on a coupes.

The heater channels are not year specific so there may be some modification required depending on the year of your car due to slight differences over the years.

I think the parts fit best the later (newer) the Ghia.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
63 vwnotch wrote:

The heater channels are not year specific so there may be some modification required depending on the year of your car due to slight differences over the years.

I know, I'm talking about a vert, I thought I saw some channels with the support rails installed you just need to install rocker over it but I can't remember where I saw them, if in fact it was for a ghia...
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
NOVA Airhead wrote:
63 vwnotch wrote:

I know, I'm talking about a vert, I thought I saw some channels with the support rails installed you just need to install rocker over it but I can't remember where I saw them, if in fact it was for a ghia...

I noticed at CIP1 that they offer two different styles of convertible Reinforcement Rails, this one which has a right and left side.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D141%2D801%2D132%2DA

And this one, which they say fits inside the panel.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D141%2D801%2D131

I'm a little confused, which one do you use ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

I'm planning on installing the reinforcement onto the heater channel prior to the outer skin (as Nova did). Doing it that way I should be able to tie the support to the bottom of the pillar.
Prior to all that I want to make sure I have all the details on what the factory did in the lower area of the hinge pillar. I had pic's from prior but not particularly helpful but gives you an idea of the area.
Would anyone have a pic to share if they did the fix in this manner?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: KG Vert Heater channel re enforcement bar install. Reply with quote

Pressed on with what seemed reasonable. Cut a gusset plate to match the rocker contour. Welded to CV reinforce channel with a 25mm strip to plug weld the rocker to.

CV reinforce strip welded to the heater channel / lambchop. Gusset is welded to the lambchop from the front. Everything is epoxy primed or Cu weld through, then seam sealed followed by a epoxy sealer.

The rocker went on with no issues. Hopefully this gives some ideas to anyone installing their CV reinforce in this manner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: