Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Comparing Solex 32 carbs Okrasa
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Comparing Solex 32 carbs Okrasa Reply with quote

Hello,
We're recently building up an Okrasa TS-1200 engine and I wondered about the carbs...
First of all, can somebody explain the difference between 32 PCIB, PICB and PCI? Rolling Eyes
When we cleaned the carbs after 50 years of oil and dust, I couldn't find any identification of the type, but it is one with 32mm in diameter. Do other Okrasa guys also noticed that?

The question why I started the topic is to find out something about "D.R.P" that can be read on the carb. As we know, it stands for Deutsches Reich Patent what means German Reich Patent and I found out, that things were produced till 1952 with this pre-war identification. Do you think the workers at Solex were too "lazy" to change DRP to DBP or are my carbs produced before 1952? Maybe someone can have a look on his Solex 32 carbs?
Thanks Jan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing Solex 32 carbs Okrasa Reply with quote

32pbi (sometimes called 32pbj) had a 2-piece carburetor body, the throttle body bolted to the carburetor body. The 32pbic had a one piece carburetor body. 32picb had an additional triangular diaphragm device, the purpose of which I have never understood. Each of these basic types came in a wide variety of detail configurations depending on the application, these included variations of body drilling, types of floats, jet sizes, carburetor top configurations, arrangement of choke orientation, etc.
Alan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing Solex 32 carbs Okrasa Reply with quote

Hi Alan,
You mean this part?
This what looks like a propeller Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing Solex 32 carbs Okrasa Reply with quote

Yep, that's the part. Never have figured out what it is supposed to do! I think your carb is a 32picb.
Alan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing Solex 32 carbs Okrasa Reply with quote

I found out that membrane means the same as diaphragm Very Happy
So they were found on my Okrasa engine parts, does it means, originally they used Solex 32 PICB? Because you can read more often, that they took PCIB or they used both.
alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing Solex 32 carbs Okrasa Reply with quote

I thought the Okrasa engines normally came with 32pbic carbs, the same carbs as were used on Porsche 356 Normal engines in '56 and '57. But I am no expert on the Okrasa engines so will defer to folks who know way more than I do! I have actually never heard of a 32pcib. In any case I am sure your 32picb carb can work fine on your engine, with the correct jetting. As an aside versions of the 32picb carb were used on Borgwards and on Mercedes and versions of the 32pbic carb were used on Porsches and Simcas.
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing Solex 32 carbs Okrasa Reply with quote

My Okrasa came with PICB. I have also read both versions mentioned. I would also like to know if Oettinger used both?
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing Solex 32 carbs Okrasa Reply with quote

alanhall wrote:
I thought the Okrasa engines normally came with 32pbic carbs, the same carbs as were used on Porsche 356 Normal engines in '56 and '57. But I am no expert on the Okrasa engines so will defer to folks who know way more than I do! I have actually never heard of a 32pcib. In any case I am sure your 32picb carb can work fine on your engine, with the correct jetting. As an aside versions of the 32picb carb were used on Borgwards and on Mercedes and versions of the 32pbic carb were used on Porsches and Simcas.

According to what I have found Okrasa started with PBI/PBJ, later that did switch to PBIC (My guess: around 1957 when the TSV 1300 was introduced). In the 60's they switched one more time to PICB (around 1960/1961 I guess).

This is what I have found studying material from the time (price lists, magazine articles, catalogues, ads).
GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing Solex 32 carbs Okrasa Reply with quote

32PBIC to the left and 32PICB to the right

I let you look for differences

56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing Solex 32 carbs Okrasa Reply with quote

Cyril, thanks a lot for the photos, that should make the differences clear!

Any guess why my carbs have no type indication? Confused
Couldn't notice if you're carbs are D.R.P. stamped, are they? You have a source to identify the age with the number?

Thanks, Jan
GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing Solex 32 carbs Okrasa Reply with quote

if this can help you Very Happy

No DRP stamped on this carbs, and no information on the number of series stamped
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing Solex 32 carbs Okrasa Reply with quote

Early Porsche 356 engines used Solex carburetors.

32 PBJ, and more commonly, 32PBIC / PICB on Normal engines, and the
40PBIC/PICB on Super engines. (the difference between a PBIC and PICB is the presence of a starter jet set up on those earlier PBIC carbs, deleted in 1955) These are all single barrel carburetors.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing Solex 32 carbs Okrasa Reply with quote

I am sure many people already know this, but may not be real common knowledge; but the US / France military used the 32PBIC carb prior to and during WWII on the M201 / jeep- maybe back to almost the 1940's ?
I have guessed in the past that the manufacturer for that market is where Wolfsburg West might source the Okrasa carbs for their kit. And possibly many of the variations come from those applications?

http://www.m201.com/tech/solex.htm

More Solex info:

http://cj3b.info/Tech/SolexTips.html

Lots and Lots of replacement parts available via those jeep groups:
https://www.desmetjeep.com/product/detail/57-kit-c...amp;page=1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: