Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New custom feature.
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: New custom feature. Reply with quote

These have probably already been done by somebody else before but, I haven't seen it. It's hard to be the "first" nowadays. Confused lol
This is something I had planned from the start and a big reason for side pods and glassing them on. I figure it is a good place to stash a couple hoodies, the bikini top, Linda's (small) purse, etc., and be able to lock it up. I still have to clean the edges of the fiberglass a bit but I thought you guys might like to see them.
Hopefully they will inspire someone else.
Cheers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New custom feature. Reply with quote

Line the pod with something, just in case. Some of the fiberglass resin on my old Sterling was still tacky after 40 years. But a neat idea - good job! Could put a kill switch in there, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: New custom feature. Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Letterman. I especially like the kill switch idea. I have been contemplating one for awhile.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: New custom feature. Reply with quote

Nice touch. I like it!
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: New custom feature. Reply with quote

Nice. I was looking at a couple boat deck plates on a flea market table a while back thinking they would be good for something like that in the buggy. I have one that covers my battery.

Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: New custom feature. Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I too looked around for some ready made doors but could not find something that fit what and where I wanted, and there are a lot out there. (maybe I'm just too picky Smile ) Just be sure you make sure the size fits and opens the "best" way. For me, hinging down seemed to be the best, especially if you or a passenger is sitting there. Not much space for an open door and your legs.
If you can't find anything, locate a Water Jet Cutter, usually at a machine shop, and they can cut something out to your exact specs. And, out of ANY material you want. Mine is a 400 series stainless. (very hard)
Hope this helps!
Chaz
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: New custom feature. Reply with quote

Great idea and a clean looking install. Lockable space on a buggy is at a premium. It's nonexistent on my car.

One suggestion if you don't already have this sorted: Look for some small dry bags used mostly for kayaking and open hull boats to keep equipment dry. A couple of small ones in different colors (for quick identification of contents) stowed in that area would keep your stuff dry, organized (I put different things in clear ziplocks inside mine), and rattle free. Also keeps individual items from wandering into an area in that well beyond the reach of your arm.

I have two storage wells in my fiberglass kayak where I've used the aforementioned system on multiple week trips with success.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: New custom feature. Reply with quote

Sweet idea, nicely done.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: