Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
don't know if this might help...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645719&highlight=windsheild

Yep I read that thread a long time ago, provided that man with a template for his windscreen and he determined it was the seal that gave him difficulty.
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Made a little progress.
Got the heater boxes back from being cleaned and to my brother to hammer some of the dents out.

Got my window sashes back and are plated. Got more hardware and stuff back that is plated.

Can you believe these are zinc? They are so shiny! These are the headlight clips.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I met with the engine and transmission guy today. We have a solid plan for return dates and I gave him some parts to complete the transmission at his shop. I'm feeling much better having met him in person and we had a lengthy much needed chat about what to expect. Here's to hoping my transmission is delivered in a couple weeks as promised.

I gave him my fuel pump and carb as well to be rebuilt.
I just need to get my heater boxes to him once my brother is done with them, so the j-tubes can be attached, and then the tube and half the shoe will get ceramic coated along with my muffler and intake manifold. I plan to get him more parts when the transmission arrives.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Yesterday, I got some plated parts back. I was told that my bulb holders couldn't be plated with the aluminum rivets in place so I had to drill them out. One of the bulb mounts was broken anyway and needing replacement. I drilled them out, now ready to go back for plating.

So now my question.. I would prefer to put in new bulb contact points and wire connectors. Mine are old, appear unreliable and fragile. Since one was toast I was needing to replace anyway. I looked at WW to see if any of their repro holders had parts I could use but no dice. Any pointers on what to replace the old contacts with? Something more sturdy? Where to buy?

The hood catch turned out well Smile

And since I've been following the 54/55 engine correctness thread I realize I have the wrong fuel pump tin and clamps for the plug wires. So I'd really appreciate if anyone has extra if they'd be willing to sell. I need the fuel pump tin to be smooth without the channel, and the clamps to have the weldnut attached.

I dropped off my regulator yesterday to be tested with my generator. So hoping to have that back and ready to go by the time the transmission is here.
2016 Golf R - my daily
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Wow that hood latch looks really nice! It looks like the 3 bolt later style though. I believe your car should have the 4 bolt style. Your cars apron does look correct on the picture after blasting.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Joshua B wrote:
Wow that hood latch looks really nice! It looks like the 3 bolt later style though. I believe your car should have the 4 bolt style. Your cars apron does look correct on the picture after blasting.

Interesting; I'll have to look into this further. I don't believe my car had any front end damage and has the original front apron. Can you share what a 4 bolt latch looks like? I also did not take note of any drilled holes in the apron but I will check for sure now. On inspection of photos, it does appear there is another hole but I will verify if it a factory hole.
2016 Golf R - my daily
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I was going to post the same thing last night, but wanted to make sure you slept through the night! Very Happy

The original apron would have 4 slotted holes, not 3 or 6 like some repros. The six allow for both versions to be used...

Looking through your pics, it appears at one point someone changed the latch and drilled a middle hole to allow the use of this latch

Picture:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I was going to post the same thing last night, but wanted to make sure you slept through the night! Very Happy

The original apron would have 4 slotted holes, not 3 or 6 like some repros. The six allow for both versions to be used...

Looking through your pics, it appears at one point someone changed the latch and drilled a middle hole to allow the use of this latch

Picture:

Well, it's 4am and I can't sleep so I'm reading this now. I've been awake since 2. Crying or Very sad

Well, guess I need to find another latch and let the body guy know to fix that extra hole.
2016 Golf R - my daily
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

There are a few for sale in the classifieds...I think their asking prices are BS, but that's just me.

WW sells them for $24...either way you'll need to re-plate them to match your other zinc parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Before plating another one, make sure it wasn't painted.

Heinz Nordhoff
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Before plating another one, make sure it wasn't painted.

Was it plated black? I wonder. Since it gets hit with the handle, painting it kinda seems like a not-so-good idea.

But good catch in any case.
2016 Golf R - my daily
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

They were painted.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
They were painted.

Alright then. Painted it will be. I have sourced one close to home, so I'll refinish it myself once it gets here. Smile Thanks for the heads up.
2016 Golf R - my daily
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Somewhere in this pile of junk which we keep meaning to haul to the shredder there must be a shock bolt.

Don
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I bet there is a hood latch too...
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I bet there is a hood latch too...

He already found me one Wink

Well shit, as someone else already told me... NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY!!
Omg. You guys. My problem here is clearly that this is my first bug. Lol.
Does that orange standard have hearts and semaphores?! Surely that and the Barndoor SC aren't for the shredder....
2016 Golf R - my daily

Last edited by TheLadyBug on Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

You sir, are a hoarder of the first order! Keep up the good work!

sunroof wrote:
Somewhere in this pile of junk which we keep meaning to haul to the shredder there must be a shock bolt.

Don
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I think th black one next to it has hearts as well
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I'm a shit disturber. This is someone else's stash. Except for the blue car. That is my 1959 Canadian custom sunroof. A very rare car that took me 25 years to find.

Don
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Just wanted to post a quick update.

Dropped off a piece of glass at a local decal shop to see if stencils for etching the glass can be made.

Picked up all my new glass on Wednesday, tucked it away safely.

Got some parts in the mail (thanks Don!!) and I'll send them for cleaning next week.

Got my m6 weldnuts in the mail for the heater box and the spark plug tube clamps, lol. So I'll have those welded on as the weldnut was correct for early cars.

My brother brought back my shoes yesterday as he tried his best to straighten them out/remove dents. The guy who is doing my engine will finish prefecting them and then they'll be ready for coating.

Transmission should be here in about a week, pretty excited.
2016 Golf R - my daily
schwartzkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Any luck on the stencils for etching? I was hoping to get some made out of self adhesive vinyl, so I can use the etching solution from craft stores. Used it on some wine glasses, and it works great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 53

Jump to: