Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bretberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I like the look of the Audi winter wheels on the burgundy California van just above. Any thoughts on the suitability of these for a 2WD diesel Westy?

ET: 45
7J x 16 H2

edit: part number is: 4A0-601-025P

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by bretberger on Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
euro911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Per Chris' recommendation, going to order some longer studs for the rear (as I'll be installing some spacers), but the mock-up tells me that 'Eileen' and are going to like these Very Happy

(the jack is still holding up the rear driver's side - it doesn't sit this high normally).
'70 Karmann Ghia Coupe
'84 Vanagon Westfalia Camper ("Eileen")
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

bretberger wrote:
I like the look of the Audi winter wheels on the burgundy California van just above. Any thoughts on the suitability of these for a 2WD diesel Westy?

ET: 45
7J x 16 H2

edit: part number is: 4A0-601-025P

Those wheels will work well, but you will need to have the center bore machined to 66.56mm by a machine shop. You will also need to run spacers front and rear, new front lug bolts, new rear studs and new rear lug nuts. The rear center caps will probably still snap into place (of you leave enough material when machining the center bores), but they won't fit on the front unless you do something custom. If you search in other threads here, there is a very smart solution to getting caps like these to fit using rare earth magnets epoxied to the cap in the five lug bolt head locations.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

euro911 wrote:
...but the mock-up tells me that 'Eileen' and are going to like these Very Happy

I like the silver paint on these. It tones them down a little and looks very factory. Cool!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
jouko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Yep. Thanks for the caps and other hardware!

Christopher Schimke wrote:

I like the silver paint on these. It tones them down a little and looks very factory. Cool!
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Is there somebody can tell me please what is this nice rim ?

Thanks in advance,

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

A question for Chris
Will touareg rims fit on the Vanagon? I think I saw a post on them, but with 130 some posts..................
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Michael4104 wrote:
A question for Chris
Will touareg rims fit on the Vanagon? I think I saw a post on them, but with 130 some posts..................

The Touareg wheels came in both 5x130 and 5x120. 5x130 is by far the most common. Whether or not they will work in a Vanagon depends on the actual Touareg wheels were are talking about since they came in all sorts of sizes.

We can make adapters to go from the Vanagon 5x112 to the 5x130 or 5x120 bolt pattern, so that's not really a problem.

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

maco70 wrote:
Is there somebody can tell me please what is this nice rim ?

Thanks in advance,

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1572_1256/carrot-alloy.html
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Michael4104 wrote:
A question for Chris

The Touareg wheels came in both 5x130 and 5x120. 5x130 is by far the most common. Whether or not they will work in a Vanagon depends on the actual Touareg wheels were are talking about since they came in all sorts of sizes.

We can make adapters to go from the Vanagon 5x112 to the 5x130 or 5x120 bolt pattern, so that's not really a problem.

Thanks Christopher for the information. Have not decided whether to go for them or not.
TheArmand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

So tried my best searching this thread, but doesn't seem like there is any talk of these particular Passat wheels. Anyone have experience with mounting 2003-2005 16" Passat wheels, part number 3B0 601 025 T? They are 5x112 with ET 37. Seems like they have potential, probably need the center bored out a bit. Potentially quite handsome wheels, albeit they are probably pretty hefty. Found a sweet deal locally on a set of these.

What ye say, Chris?

backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

New 16" wheels finally installed like 3 years later! I did 3/4" spring spacers at the rear as well and like the look. I got new tires still to go on but haven't quite got to it yet! These are ET37 and with 10mm wheel spacers all 4 center caps just fit! Just have to CNC machine up some VW logos to replace the Benz stars!

Check out my Classified Ads for neat stuff:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2364358
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

VW Tiguan stock 16x6.5 ET33 5x112 wheels with stock Pirelli 215/65-16 tires. Bored centers to 66.6.
Van is 1990 GL on original factory lowered springs.
Rides great and doesn't touch anywhere.

I am tempted to try Weitec springs but I think it might start rubbing under heavy load in turns.

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Brand New-bie here.

Short and sweet, I picked up an '84 Adventurewagen on Monday and am elbows deep into this wheel-changing project.

It has the stock 14's. I heard it was best to change that as quickly as possible.

So I thought I was being so clever (thrifty) and got some 15" Passat wheels (9-spoke variety) with the 5 x 112 pattern/spacing. Today, I realized that the center hole is too narrow. So the wheels are at a machine shop now and tomorrow will have the correct (63mm) center hole to fit on the Vanagon.

Question: Do I need to use spacers?

Question 2: What are the specifics?

Question 3: Should I be asking more questions?

Thank you!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

It would help if you supplied ET information about the wheel.
That would most likely be on the back side of the wheel, possibly ET45, I don't remember.
That number tells what the offset of that wheel is, and how much it deviates from the stock configuration of ET37
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Quote:
So the wheels are at a machine shop now and tomorrow will have the correct (63mm) center hole to fit on the Vanagon.

You will want to call up the machine shop and bump that center bore diameter to 66.56mm. The depth of that bore needs to be correct too. Without any spacers in place, you would need to have them bored to minimum depth of 50mm, but adding spacers reduces the required depth.

Quote:
Question: Do I need to use spacers?

Most likely, yes! Most Audi and VW wheels do require spacers

Quote:
Question 2: What are the specifics?

Depends on the size and offset of the wheels, like Levi said.

Quote:
Question 3: Should I be asking more questions?

I can tell you that you will also need new lug nuts, lug bolts and longer rear studs if you run rear spacers (which is highly recommended) and that the center caps of your wheels will probably not fit. This is very common with most Audi/VW wheels.

iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Okay. Thank you guys. The wheels are at the shop, so I don't know the ET, but the dude is going to call me when he gets back from his break. I can ask him then.

My mechanic measured and gave me 63mm as the center hole number. Are you sure about the 66.56? If so, I'll go for that.

And the spacers depend entirely on the offset?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Quote:
My mechanic measured and gave me 63mm as the center hole number. Are you sure about the 66.56? If so, I'll go for that.

I can't even tell you how many of my customers come to me after their mechanic has recommended parts for installing their new wheels only to find out that they really didn't know what they were doing. The mechanics meant well, but these things are tricky the get the wheels and tires to fit just right. There are a lot of details involved that many are not aware of.

I am 100% confident in the 66.56mm center bore diameter.

Quote:
And the spacers depend entirely on the offset?

Height, width and offset all play a role in deciding which spacers are correct. For example, a 16x7 and a 15x7 wheel can have completely different spacer requirements depending on the offset. In addition, different spacer requirements determine the proper stud and lug lengths.

iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I'll have more information soon.

Last edited by iheartstrangers on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:12 am; edited 2 times in total
iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Was able to reach the machinist before he got to them. They'll be bored to 66.56. Thank you again and again.

I've also learned that the ET is 37, which is the same as the stock wheels, right? Any chance that I will not need spacers and bolts?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Page 130 of 173

Jump to: