Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big horsepower buggies, What transmission???
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Big horsepower buggies, What transmission??? Reply with quote

So I need to do my homework here. I am in the early stages of planning a Porsche type 4 IV build. I don't think I will stroke it so it will be a 2365cc. Would be a 2.6 if I stroke it...

Anyways I need to plan this build so I have all my ducks in a row. Planning on adding rear disc brakes but the major thing I need to get figured out is what transmission to run.

Need some examples please of your big motors HP and what trans you are running. AND how you are driving it.

Can I go with a Type 1? Should I go bus and change the 1st,2nd 3rd, and 4th gears go get a decent ratio.
Keep in mind this type 4 will probably out last 2X any type 1 built so I need a trans set up that will do the same.

I am completely guessing but hoping to be in the 130 to 140 HP range. This may all change when I send the heads in to get checked for cracks. If they need to do any work on them then I'll be stuffing larger valves in and probably do some porting work.
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Big horsepower buggies, What transmission??? Reply with quote

I run a type 1 box in mine, BUT, I run a weld in Berg midmount, steel rear mount, Kafer bar, HD side cover in a single side cover trans, urethane suspension bushings, bigger torsion bars and not so sticky tires. I don't do drag race starts, but once in a while I can paint some nice lines on the road. 200+ rwhp, 3 summers of fun so far, no issues.

brad
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Big horsepower buggies, What transmission??? Reply with quote

Can you spell M-E-N-D-E-O-L-A ....

http://ranchotransaxles.com/mendeola-transaxles/

https://weddleindustries.com/transaxles/mendeola-s4s5-series

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Big horsepower buggies, What transmission??? Reply with quote

Ok you thinking about horsepower, but you also need to think how much torque the engine will have too.
Torque is what breaks transaxles.
What the rear tire diameter and width going to be?
You can get a 4.13 (4.125) ring & pinion for both a 002 and 091 Bus transaxles.
The Side gears and spiders in and 091 trans are the strongest in all the stock VW trans.
You can use 091 differential parts in an 002 trans.

One thing to remember is that aftermarket gears (1st-4th) are made for racing and are noisey. It can be more noise then you want to hear for extended period of times driving.
The quietest ones are Weddle Sportmans Gears, they are still noisier then stock.

I am using a Vanagon 5speed with a 2.5L Subaru in a Buggy. It is holding up well with 33in tires.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Big horsepower buggies, What transmission??? Reply with quote

BERG 5, not much cheaper than Mendola but it gets the job done.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Big horsepower buggies, What transmission??? Reply with quote

Get the 3rd and 4th gear hubs welded and run a stock trans.

As long as you don't launch like an idiot you should be fine.

If you want to do burnouts... then you can spend five grand on a transmission.

I slipped the hubs on two of my stock transmissions at 13 lbs boost which was probably around 130 hp. It just wouldn't shift anymore.
After the spare second transmission did it I had the first one rebuilt and 3rd and 4th gear welded. It needed a main bearing, a couple sycros and reverse gear replaced and adjusted for more engagement.
Cost me $350.00 and now shifts like butter and is holding at 22 lbs boost and who knows how much hp.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Big horsepower buggies, What transmission??? Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Get the 3rd and 4th gear hubs welded and run a stock trans.

I would add a GOOD side plate and a "Super-Diff" to that stock trans.

clonebug wrote:
. . . don't launch like an idiot . . .

Always PRE-LOAD before ya launch!!!!

And do what ever you can do to prevent wheel-hop!!!!!

PS . . . watched yer video Brent . . . cool car . . . sure makes me want to get my buggy going! Smile
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Big horsepower buggies, What transmission??? Reply with quote

Thx for all the replies guys. Yes she should be a torque monger and this has me thinking I'll need to change up my gearing. Right now I have a trans out of a squareback. I believe 4:11 gear ratio. It works great for the 1776 but with this 2365 it would be a waste of torque. As it is now I can't get through an intersection with out RPM sky high when on it. Maybe a regular beetle trans gearing might work better with these tires. 245/60 26" tall.

Neutral drops are not my thing, preload and go like hell is. I'm hoping this engine is going to brake the tires loose once rolling and then on it.

I can't imagine that I'm going to be in a class of my own here, that is why I'm calling out for big HP buggies to see what you are all running. If it's working for you, should work for me. The gearing interests me. I mean the gearing I have now will work.... 110 Kmph at 300RPM. But will it be getting the most out of my engine is the question.

Thx Blitz! Smile
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Big horsepower buggies, What transmission??? Reply with quote

For a 150 HP street Buggy a well built type I is all you need. Don't know where you live in Canada but ask Bruce about a gearbox. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=425
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Big horsepower buggies, What transmission??? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
For a 150 HP street Buggy a well built type I is all you need. Don't know where you live in Canada but ask Bruce about a gearbox. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=425

I agree.....
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
63Fiberbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Big horsepower buggies, What transmission??? Reply with quote

My engine ~300 Hp (Garrett T3/4 custom turbo by G-Pop, SuperFlo heads, 2276cc, FK-8, etc/etc); rears are 295/50/15s. Tried stock '67 T1 tranny & even without dropping clutch, it got where wouldn't shift. Contacted Geno Boyd for "performance pro street" build & switched to 3.88 R&P; love it! Stayed with stock gears at his recommendation. He has many years of race experience and work at Rancho; in fact his parts come from Rancho. I'd contact him and ask for advice; that's what I did and I'm very satisfied with results.

Will break tires loose after full release & rolling 1st or 2nd gears; so much so that I spun a wheel adapter last year...scary when left rear was hanging on by 1 lug.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Big horsepower buggies, What transmission??? Reply with quote

Thx Dave I'll look him up. He's one province over beside me so real close.

Thx 63 Fiberbuggy, I'll check him out as well.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Big horsepower buggies, What transmission??? Reply with quote

I got a transaxle for my Bonneville car from mcmscott (Metal Craft Motorsport) Couldn't be happier http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=216444

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: