Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint job to start tonight Hood and windshield alignment tips
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Paint job to start tonight Hood and windshield alignment tips Reply with quote

Fingers crossed. The paint job is supposed to start tonight. Is there any tricks or tips to aligning the hood and windshield? I do have the brackets from TTS for the windshield but I have never tried to align anything on this car. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gerald
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
117harv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint job to start tonight Hood and windshield alignment tips Reply with quote

Here is a tip shown to me years ago by a painter. When you have the hood or trunk lid aligned and all gaps are where they should be, drill a small 1/8 inch hole in each hinge and the hood where they bolt together. After all is painted, when the hood is bolted back on just line up the holes.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint job to start tonight Hood and windshield alignment tips Reply with quote

I posted a reply here before then looked back at my own thread and realized what I wrote was wrong, I was confusing some early test fitting with my final assembly. Being late in the evening I just deleted it, sorry about that. Anyway one thing I did was put sheets of paper between the windshield frame and the body so I could move it around on the paint. I also put the lower frame on first without the glass and upper frame, easy to lift the glass and upper frame in afterwards, just don't let the glass slide out (I used a lot of tape). I just centered the frame with a tape measure. I couldn't get my hood centered perfectly, the whole car is off I suspect it always was. You can put the hood seal on then set the hood up on it and carefully rotate the hinges down onto the hood. I put mt TTS brackets on last as they have to match up to the edge of the windshield. They're great by the way. It all goes together pretty quick when you get rolling on it. I saw your paint pictures, mine got painted in pieces like that too. Hopefully they're lined up to do the rest right away.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: