Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine mounting nut is not a nut!
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Engine mounting nut is not a nut! Reply with quote

Removing engine of 74 KG Coupe. Have done all steps and up to removing the four mounting bolts. Three are off - two on the bottom and one on the top passenger side (LHD car). The fourth nut is the problem. Its not a nut. It is smooth. So smooth I don't even suspect it is a rounded nut. It is also the hardest to get too which makes me wonder if a previous owner put something other than a nut on the bolt...

With the other three off I wiggled the engine. I thought the fourth nut could be a dummy a lazy person put on… The engine moves a bit but that last "nut" is holding it.

Any ideas? Has anyone ever seen this before? Do I need to break it to get it off?

Included picture but hard to see. Its the shiny piece….

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Engine mounting nut is not a nut! Reply with quote

Doing some research…wondering if it is a captured nut and I need to get at it from the other side…

Is this stock? Or a modification?

Thanks,
Matt
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Engine mounting nut is not a nut! Reply with quote

The number three cylinder top bolt is a bolt that slides inside behind the doghouse..it's a bit of a tangle to get out, it has a bolt on the front of the engine side on the bell housing, with a nut behind the fan shroud

Last edited by fes on Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Engine mounting nut is not a nut! Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
Doing some research…wondering if it is a captured nut and I need to get at it from the other side…

Is this stock? Or a modification?

Thanks,
Matt

This is stock for your setup..later cases had a threaded sleeve welded to the case to eliminate someone having to hold the nut in front of the doghouse..
to simplify, there's studs in the case on the lower half, you remove the nuts at the transmission side, the top has threaded studs that are opposite, (including the "D" bolt at the starter) and tighten at the engine side..
some people put the nut on #3 anyways for extra insurance, even though it's not technically needed..
Do yourself a favor when re-installing and put a couple washers behind the bolt if they're not already there..this helps tightening the bolt easier with a wrench or socket because I find the head of the bolt tucks in really tight to the bell housing, making it hard to get a good bite in it with a wrench
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Engine mounting nut is not a nut! Reply with quote

One last thing.. You say '74? that motor should be a dual port 1600 with the doghouse setup on your fan..In other words, I should not be able to see your exposed oil cooler in the pic you posted Question Missing tin or maybe a older single port engine? But if indeed you have the sleeve on the case of top#3, this wouldn't make much sense, unless of course a rebuild..engine case number would help here
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine mounting nut is not a nut! Reply with quote

It is a capture nut ,pressed into the case. You have two crawl under the car to remove it. Usually an assortment of long ratchet attachments and a swivel joint are in order to make a quick game of it. Start of with a bright flash light to get a good visual of it. Then really this more of a touch and feel process to remove.
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine mounting nut is not a nut! Reply with quote

Fes,

We removed a piece of tin to get better access. According to our birth certificate from the factory it's the original engine to the car, being built in late 1973 as a74 model.

Thanks to all - it was indeed a captured nut and we got the engine out. Only to find someone had welded the pan to to the rocker panels!! Had to do some cutting and the body is free. We'll get it on the body dolly tomorrow...
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine mounting nut is not a nut! Reply with quote

floorpan welded to heater channels>
oh, those old VW's.... you never know who worked on them before you Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine mounting nut is not a nut! Reply with quote

I have a question on this topic.

Does anyone have an exploded view of the engine mounting bolts?

Mine has been out for 2 years & is going back in soon. It'll just help my confidence seeing it in a diagram form. I am also cutting an order to WCM and it seems like a best practice to get some new bolts to torque so I'd like to know qtys of each. I couldn't find anything after a 15 min samba-search.

thanks!
1974 coupe - 1600DP stock
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: