Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you identify these two cars?
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstouffer 1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Can you identify these two cars? Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the black one is a Tootsies, but I don't see the name on it anywhere. If it is a Tootsies, can anyone help me figure out what year it was made? The brown one is a complete mystery to me. I've never seen another toy car like that in my life. I think it's a toy, it could just be a little trinket... any ideas? I got these is a grab bag at a rummage sale today with a few other cool non VW cars, but my collection is mainly any brand Volkswagens and very early Redline Hotwheels. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. -John

PS If there are no pictures, please let me know. I've been a Volkswagen fanatic all my life, but I'm a newbie when it comes to doing stuff like this. Lol

The pictures are in my gallery, sorry I just caught on. Haha

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by jstouffer 1965 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify these two cars? Reply with quote

If I recall correctly- it's an eraser! I had one many years ago- still might tucked in a box somewhere. Gently try to erase a little pencil mark or a Clinton email with it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify these two cars? Reply with quote

I have a couple similar to your black die cast toy. This is an 1/76 or HO scale (or close) 60's beetle. One of mine is not marked and the other is marked 'USA TOOTSIETOY'. The one marked 'TOOTSIETOY' has a significant amount of flash, and a few casting defects indicating a worn die and therefore a much younger toy.

TOOTSIETOY also made a 1/54 scale beetle in early 60's and a 1/32 scale oval window before that. Other than the shape of the rear window, these have a lot of similarity in design which differs from those of the smaller HO version. This leads me to believe that the HO scale toys were not originally TOOTSIETOY, but the die was purchased from someone else at a later date.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm or deny this, it would be interesting to know. As for the eraser, I had one like that as a kid too, but the bottom had a round hole so that is could be attached to the top of a pencil.
jstouffer 1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify these two cars? Reply with quote

An eraser! It might not be the coolest thing ever, but now that I know what it is, I love it even more because it survived considering what it was used for, it's definitely earned a spot in my collection. I didn't even consider that because it feel like hard plastic or something, but it would dry out over time. Thanks for your responses, I appreciate it. Now on to the other one. I keep saying the black one but there's barely any black paint left on it. The bag did contain some other old Tootsies cars, but I could clearly read it on each one. I'll figure it out eventually. That's why I love played with toy cars, I feel like they each have stories. On top of my any brand Volkswagen collection and my Redlines, I also love early Matchbox Volkswagens, or any Lesney Matchbox actually. My goal is to eventually own all Volkswagen car Matchbox and hotwheels made, I know it will take aawhile, but the hunt is my favorite part. I really love the early Leaney Campers, but I feel like it hard to find one with all its doors that I can afford. Anyway, you guys have any favorite Matchbox or Hotwheels Volkswagens? Are there any other brands out there that don't cost an arm and a leg to add to my collection? Thanks again for all the help and sorry for such a long message. Lol I have three loves in my life, Volkswagen's, toys, and trains so when I start talking about them it make me feel like a kid again!
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify these two cars? Reply with quote

There is a sticky with 44 pages of toy collector glory - read and drool! I personally favor toys from the 50's, 60's, and 70's when these cars first appeared on the road (at least in my neighborhood). Buy what you like, but I would rather have one vintage matchbox, dinky, marklin, or bandai than 10 new toys made in china. There is just so much new stuff out there that won't be worth much in the future whereas there will always be a market for the vintage toys.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify these two cars? Reply with quote

Some variations of the diecast bug said Toosietoy, or VW under the roof, and most didn't, but they were all made by Tootsietoys of Chicago, whether marked or unmarked.

They were made in the hundreds of thousands, so chipped up ones are still easy to find. The tough ones to get are the ones that are still in mint condition, such as this one still sealed in the original "Jam Pack" from the 1960s. (And yes, that's a red 911 Porsche.)

The erasers were made in the early 1970s. This particular set is unmarked, except for "Made in Taiwan."

jstouffer 1965 wrote:
On top of my any brand Volkswagen collection and my Redlines, I also love early Matchbox Volkswagens, or any Lesney Matchbox actually. My goal is to eventually own all Volkswagen car Matchbox and hotwheels made!

I hear ya brother!

If you have any more toy questions, ask the baron!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: