Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

please contact the representatives listed on link to end smog testing on pre 81 cars in california.

link...
http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2016CA18&g=SEMAGA

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

Long overdue!!!
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

I'm so torn about this. I really do want to make sure our air that used to be shit to breathe isn't shit to breathe for my kids. But I also don't want 76-79 buses all over California hacked up with dual carbs and progressives. Then again, there will be more fuel injection parts for me....

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

This was being discussed in 2012:

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/california-bill-may-exempt-pre-1981-cars-from-smog-testing/

Every time I see a foaming Toyota Penus driver moan about "dirty cars" I thank them for driving a Penus so I can drive my Bus!
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I'm so torn about this.

Robbie

I feel the same way!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

zoobum wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
I'm so torn about this.

I feel the same way!

It's one thing if we didn't have some of the worst air quality in the developed world quite recently, with spikes in asthma and respiratory diseases FINALLY going down after the wonderful 70s-80s haze that our area went through.

Regardless of emissions testing, I keep my bus tuned to the limits of the design, because I enjoy the efficiency and economy that comes with such. It would bother me on a deeper level than carbon deposits to know that I was churning out excess raw hydrocarbons every day. The '76 I had recently CAN'T have a cat on it by current laws. I would absolutely buy one if I could legally run it.

If anybody reading this thread lives outside of California, and would like to see this legislation passed, please feel free to call and pester our officials as well. They respond to quantity not quality of pesters.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

before going off on these it pays to read the bill which is here. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/15-16/bill/sen/sb_1201-1250/sb_1239_bill_20160426_amended_sen_v98.pdf

When you read it you will find that the waiver would be only until January 1 2019, and that if any of these below happen, and you have made changes to the emissions, you will be treated exactly the same as you are now:

picked up by a remote sensing or other means like mobile smog testing CARB / BAR conduct that your bus has been tampered with or would likely fail a smog test. Other examples could be it comes up in a random generated out of cycle check or CHP notices tampering when you get pulled over for something else. Also if the way I read it you are in an enhanced smog area you will still be required to get smog tests. One sentence says that you must be a collector car and be insured under a collector policy. That means garaged vehicles and little to no daily driving unless the policy allows it. Another sentence says that your car must still meet ALL exhaust emission standards for that class and year as well as a fuel cap and visual inspection for leaks so if you think that means ripping smog gear off no way.

In addition if a vehicle comes in from out of state it must pass a smog test just like now to be licensed.

All this is doing is making it so the shops don't have to upgrade their equipment to test older cars. It is so little of their business it is not cost feasible for them to maintain testing equipment at every smog station in California for 35 + year old cars. If you drive by a remote sensor and it goes - oooooww gross polluter -> snap photo, and they look it up to see you are a 1978 VW bus they are going to send you a note to take your bus in for a visual inspection to a STAR shop. If you are in an enhanced area like http://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Program_Map.pdf then you still have to smog your car the way I read it. The only thing this law will do for me is save me $63 for one biennial smog test.

I might add. I have already been hit with one random STAR test and the reason marked down was VW buses are a high fail vehicle. We are already on their radar. In fact the guy failed me for having my timing off 3 1/2 degrees (I forgot that it was set to 28 - 29 full in which is about 3 -4 degrees retarded off the factory mark. I had to take it home, reset the timing to factory and then pay for a retest. The guy was honest about it and my own test at home verified his numbers.
gacnurse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

California air, especially in the LA basin, is cleaner that it has ever been since the 60's, period. 'Bout time they upped the year for smog exemption. They have already gotten most of those cars off the road already.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

Here is the Bad news from a California representative.....

"Thank you for your message regarding Senate Bill 1239 by Senator Ted Gaines. I appreciate hearing from you.

SB 1239 would have expanded the smog check exemption for pre-1976 model year vehicles to include any vehicles manufactured between 1976 and 1981, if the owner can provide proof that the vehicle is insured as a collector car.

As you may know, SB 1239 failed to pass the Senate on June 2. It received only 18 “aye” votes, three votes short of a majority. With the exception of one senator who was out ill, all the senators who opposed or did not vote for the bill are Democrats.

I supported SB 1239 on three separate occasions. I voted for it as a member of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on April 19, as a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee on May 27 and finally on the Senate Floor on June 2. SB 1239 simply recognizes that most pre-1981 vehicles constitute a very small portion of the overall vehicle population and are well-maintained and infrequently driven. I wholeheartedly agree that it is wrong for the state to continue to scapegoat these vehicles and their owners as a reason for California’s air quality issues.

I believe SB 1239 provides a fair and environmentally sensitive pathway for the “older car” hobbyists to pursue their hobby and should have been approved. If Senator Gaines reintroduces the measure again, it will have my strong support.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance on other state matters in the 36th Senate District (Orange and San Diego counties).

Sincerely,

PATRICIA C. BATES

Senator, 36th District"

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

Hello,
I sure am happy that my NTM bus is a 1971 and I don't live in a smog county.... no bi-annual smog checks up here. Smog a post 1975 vehicle one time (change of ownership or changing to Ca. tags) and forget about it.....
Sorry for those that must go through all the hassles..... and money...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
all the senators who opposed or did not vote for the bill are Democrats.

there's your problem. seems that dem's have left their heads in their mothers asses at birth....

using the classic car guys as a scapegoat is stupid. first, if they would open their eyes and see that they couldn't be daily drives and that the simple act of restoring/keeping them going would keep shops/vendors busy you guys would be better off.

if anything, an I HATE to even suggest it, they could impose a tax on the classic car crowd to offset the "dirty air"

so glad I live over here....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

talk about freaking nuts. I just had to smog my 1980 classic car. looked at the paperwork and found it had been driven only 400 miles in two years. hardly two tanks of gasoline in two years. Now I am told that the only smog guy framilar with my car ear me is retiring soon, his son who is in bussiness with him tells me he dont know enough about these older cars to smog them anymore, he is afraid of making a mistake over some crazy equipement law and be caught in a smog nazi sting operation and thus be fined, or lose his license, hence he wont be smogging the older cars anymore. fuck these stupid laws!

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
all the senators who opposed or did not vote for the bill are Democrats.

there's your problem. seems that dem's have left their heads in their mothers asses at birth....

using the classic car guys as a scapegoat is stupid. first, if they would open their eyes and see that they couldn't be daily drives and that the simple act of restoring/keeping them going would keep shops/vendors busy you guys would be better off.

if anything, an I HATE to even suggest it, they could impose a tax on the classic car crowd to offset the "dirty air"

so glad I live over here....

While I do live here, I'm glad my newest vehicle is the '70 Bug! Razz
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

You guy's in cali have demonstrated to the rest of the country that you don't know how to vote at election time. Simple rules here- only obd2 is tested here. Plug in computer, if you throw no codes you pass. Pre obd2 is exempt.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

being in new england, truth be told there are no "old cars" anymore due to rust. it wasn't too bad here some years ago when the state used sand/salt mixture to clear the roads

now, they use this evil brine that no joke, looks like a cloud if they pork it down on the road too much. it's like a white dust bowl, and sticks to EVERYTHING it touches...real bad

so, for the fine state of Connecticut to keep and maintain equipment to test older cars is the reason (I think) we are exempt.

I am sure the data is out there, but I wonder how many carbureted cars are still out there. the simple reality is it has to be a small fraction of the total.

now, if CA were out trolling in granny's polara with a stuck choke I could see cause for concern, but come on....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
talk about freaking nuts. I just had to smog my 1980 classic car. looked at the paperwork and found it had been driven only 400 miles in two years. hardly two tanks of gasoline in two years. Now I am told that the only smog guy framilar with my car ear me is retiring soon, his son who is in bussiness with him tells me he dont know enough about these older cars to smog them anymore, he is afraid of making a mistake over some crazy equipement law and be caught in a smog nazi sting operation and thus be fined, or lose his license, hence he wont be smogging the older cars anymore. fuck these stupid laws!

Where in CA are you? A good friend of mine does smogs.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
You guy's in cali have demonstrated to the rest of the country that you don't know how to vote at election time.

Only 'cause we have more takers than givers. Rolling Eyes

Not to mention the bleeding heart do gooders that will give you the shirt off MY back! Evil or Very Mad

I've had a few vehicles that needed to be smog checked and even if the "required" catastrophic converter was missing, when properly tuned it would clearly passed the testing. The state, always looking to milk more money out of us, then changed the regulations to FIRST inspect for all the required equipment to be in place BEFORE they even attempt to hook it up to the machine. Confused

Also, just about any old school hotrod you see on the street with YUGE blowers and headers run very clean. Cool
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

Keep it on topic please.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
being in new england, truth be told there are no "old cars" anymore due to rust. it wasn't too bad here some years ago when the state used sand/salt mixture to clear the roads

now, they use this evil brine that no joke, looks like a cloud if they pork it down on the road too much. it's like a white dust bowl, and sticks to EVERYTHING it touches...real bad

so, for the fine state of Connecticut to keep and maintain equipment to test older cars is the reason (I think) we are exempt.

I am sure the data is out there, but I wonder how many carbureted cars are still out there. the simple reality is it has to be a small fraction of the total.

now, if CA were out trolling in granny's polara with a stuck choke I could see cause for concern, but come on....

Yes.....I know exactly what they use.....and it truely is evil for metal. Its a mixture of salt brine (sometimes).....and the evil ingredient(s) that are far worse than salt.....are magnesium chloride and calcium chloride.

These are the liquid pre-treatment anti ice formers that they spray on the roads in those wavy stripes 24-48 hours before snow. Once they get wet from what they melt....they are very concentrated....and very corrosive.....and get redistributed everywhere.

They use them because they work longer than salt....and are more environmentally friendly in run off. Ray
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: california smog law may end testing for pre 81 cars Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
You guy's in cali have demonstrated to the rest of the country that you don't know how to vote at election time. Simple rules here- only obd2 is tested here. Plug in computer, if you throw no codes you pass. Pre obd2 is exempt.

Population in Missouri is only 6 million. Calif population is 38 million. We have 3 million in LA City alone. If you don't like Calif's smog rules in the rest of the country, stand by, the tree huggers may prevail.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: