Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

air cooling and making electricity the peltier way
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

peltier modules are...
cool
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
hot
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: air cooling and making electricity the peltier way Reply with quote

not too sure if this is good enough to be off-topic... it goes to anything really. I just want to apply it to a bug.

I got one of those electric iceless coolers off cl just for the peltier module. for this idea of some DIY AC. The bugs roofline might look a little finny. I dunno, just an idea.
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: air cooling and making electricity the peltier way Reply with quote

The ideea is "cool" and tempting indeed, but it doesn't seem to be practical.
According to Wikipedia, a typical A/C unit draws about 4hp or 3Kw of power - that's 3000 Watts. And it would appear that the efficiency of Peltier modules is even less than that of a conventional A/C unit using a pump and refrigerant.

A typical 45Amp bug alternator will deliver 12V*45Amp=540Watts. (considering Power=Amperage*Volts ) - this means that you are a long way from achieving the necessary power for your cooling needs. And the problem gets worse considering the lesser efficiency of Peltiers.

However, I must admit I have played with this ideea also, and even bought some Peltier modules from Ebay. They "seem" to be working, but also is clea that they require a lot of work in order to achieve any practical results.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: air cooling and making electricity the peltier way Reply with quote

Now are you saying you want to bolt this thing somewhere hot and cool the other side and make electricity? They are just forward biased diodes with heat sinks. Or to put it another way a thermo pile. Probably similar technology to a plutonium powered thermo electric generator.
Here: http://www.mpoweruk.com/thermoelectricity.htm
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: air cooling and making electricity the peltier way Reply with quote

Too much amp draw for little return. Works great for an enclosed cooler, or even in the newer Mercedes seat "air scarf" setup, but for a/c.. nope. Researched that years ago for my old Sterling, bought the two largest Peltiers I could find at the time and with testing, they just couldn't keep up with even a cloudy day. What most people don't understand is that you must separate the two sides of the unit, much like a VW engine. Forced air over one side of the unit (usually has built in cooling fins) is crucial, else the unit just doesn't function as it should.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: air cooling and making electricity the peltier way Reply with quote

Thermodynamics laws don't agree with this line of thinking.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: air cooling and making electricity the peltier way Reply with quote

Cooling, its good enough for a seat cooler/heater. Req's too much W/I to be efficient. Its a basic idea technology from the early 1800's. Needs refinement.

The idea for generating electricity with it is to mount a few of these with headsinks in the roofline and the ceiling. Air flows over the roofline heatsinks cooling that side, on the inside the heatsinks get heated from the cabin heat generated from bodies and heater ducts. This of course would work much betting in the cold, just an idea I had this past winter living in colorado.

Could use it to charge a bank of super capacitors or a battery.

A more efficient use would be for a off-grid cabin in the winter time.

Danwvw wrote:
Now are you saying you want to bolt this thing somewhere hot and cool the other side and make electricity? They are just forward biased diodes with heat sinks. Or to put it another way a thermo pile. Probably similar technology to a plutonium powered thermo electric generator.
Here: http://www.mpoweruk.com/thermoelectricity.htm

So some advances are being made.

Letterman7 wrote:
Too much amp draw for little return. Works great for an enclosed cooler, or even in the newer Mercedes seat "air scarf" setup, but for a/c.. nope. Researched that years ago for my old Sterling, bought the two largest Peltiers I could find at the time and with testing, they just couldn't keep up with even a cloudy day. What most people don't understand is that you must separate the two sides of the unit, much like a VW engine. Forced air over one side of the unit (usually has built in cooling fins) is crucial, else the unit just doesn't function as it should.

Running a higher amp alt could generate enough current to start the cooling effect as long as you have moving air on the hot side (roofline side). I havent put any numbers to thought on any of that. Of course you need to refine the idea to be practical.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: