Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

School and work have been extremely busy the past 2 months so i havent been able to get much done on the project. Today i did have a day off and it was nice out so i got all of the suspenion off of the 71 pan and mostly striped and taped to get ready to be brought to a media blaster. I wasnt going to remove the rear bearings but when i got everything off one side had alot of drag and the other had way to much play in the bearings. The car was showing 33,000 miles im assuming it was 133,000 rough miles. Also just waiting on some paperwork to go through before i can have the TurnkeyManx pan shipped. As well as got the trans off to a local builder to be freshend up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

I got the trans back from the builder awhile ago. rebuilt with new FAG bearings for around $580 cant complain about that to much. however I am still waiting on the TurnKeyManx pan. This whole process has been taking way longer then expected. I understand that these things take time but its been about 75 days since I requested it to be built and I got an email on march 26th that the pan was ready. I paid in full on April 1 or 2nd when I got the bill from Dansperformanceparts who Turnkeymanx seems to have partnered with during my pan being made. But since then everything has taken so long, its getting nice out and I still haven't gotten the address to arrange shipping and still waiting on paper work I had to send more then once. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon so I can get the buggy on the road this summer.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

Good luck!

'60's Spatz Buggy body on '74 Chassis (Budget Build)
'69 Bug (Baja-to-be partial daily)
'10 Silverado (My daily)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

Thank you, actually about 4 hours after I posted about it I got an email saying its ready to ship. now I just have to arrange freight from southern California to Maryland.. placed an ad on ushipit.com are there any other competitively priced places to check with?
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

Thee is a whole shipping thread available.

I used a guy to ship a piece of exercise equipment. I posted his info in the thread. he was really good.
jtwells
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My first VW build... A Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

Finally about 3 1/2 months later i have received the Turnkey manx pan. The extremely long time can be attributed to Dan's Performance parts, who TKManx had partnered with as i was ordering my pan. I was told they have since already parted ways. Dan's Performance had my finished pan for 40+ days doing idk what (other then go to the DMV to apply for a title) before i got information to have it picked up. I also dealt with a dead beat shipping company Silver Gate Shipping, if you are using Uship do not accept a bid from them. The pan came in damaged and over 2 weeks later then quoted, but nothing i couldnt fix with alittle time but am going to file a claim.

Other then that i am very happy with the quality of the build, this pan is very nice! as well as Brad over at TKmanx has been more then helpful and responsive through the process. Overall i would recommend TKmanx pans to anyone thinking of building a buggy, they are very high quality and came with a Cali title in my name. i very much like the access holes and braces on the tunnel it will make installing pedals, shift rod and some other things in the tunnel much easier as well as the brace over the E brake is very thick and should stop any cracking issues that can be common in shortened pans. Im glad that i can get to getting this on the road while the weather is nice.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: