Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chassis number breakdown
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thushantha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Chassis number breakdown Reply with quote

Dear all,
Have an old beetle chassis at my home. The number says 1-0467730. (think this is correct as it is not very clear)
Want to know the details of this. can anyone help?

Thanks,
Thushantha
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Chassis number breakdown Reply with quote

looks to be a april 53 pan. so oval window ? check it out in the technical section on the top of the page.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thushantha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis number breakdown Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply sqmalt46.
Yes, tried to search the chassis number information as you suggested. But, my chassis number has 8 digits, so can't figure out exactly what it is.
Starting numbers 1-04 ... goes way back to year 1944. Any suggestions?
Meanwhile, only have the chassis with me. So no idea whether it is a oval or split.

Regards,
Thushantha
fazeka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis number breakdown Reply with quote

Pics?
Thushantha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis number breakdown Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks,
Thushantha
fazeka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis number breakdown Reply with quote

Ya, so looks like early April 1953, right?
Thushantha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis number breakdown Reply with quote

Thanks.
Really appreciate if you can explain me how you decided that this is early April 53.
I don't get it. This number seems to have 2 more extra digits than the chassis numbers listed on samba site.

Regards,
Thushantha
fazeka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Chassis number breakdown Reply with quote

Hi,

Not sure what you are talking about. Is it really that complicated?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Thushantha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Chassis number breakdown Reply with quote

Hi Fazeka,

Thanks for the link. My bad, I was referring to a wrong list. (on a different site as well)

One last problem for me. While surfing the net, one site said split changed to oval in march 53 and another said it was in August 53.

Since my one is in April 53. I'm curious to know whether its a split or an oval. Hope you can help me on this as well.

I have another 61 model 1192 cc bug as well. It's under restoration nowadays. will post pics in a different forum for all you to see.

Thanks again.
fazeka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Chassis number breakdown Reply with quote

Last Splits were March '53. You have a very early Oval. Still very desirable. If it's in good shape? More pics?
Thushantha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Chassis number breakdown Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

unfortunately I only have the chassis with me. When I purchased it, body and the engine were replaced by a later 59 model. Floorboards are re done. But, the rest of the chassi is pretty solid. i think the gear box is the original 53 one. But, not sure. Gear lever is the straight one.

By the way my 61 beetle (december 1960 according to the chassis number list) is still with its original engine and still running pretty good.

Here are the photos.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1517854.jpg

The yellow one is the one you just pointed out that has a chassis of 1953. The orange one is the 61 beetle which is under restoration now.

Thanks again for the help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: