Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel interference specs
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bowditch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Diesel interference specs Reply with quote

So I know the answer to my question is probably tear it off and look but I was just curious if anyone else has had such a stupid mistake as me and would like to also add your stupidity to the mix. So I've done a handful of head gaskets on the IDIs and so I confidently torqued the head down onto TDC with the head not at TDC and my heart stopped halfway through the second 90 degree turn (for the MLS) on the #6 bolt that I darn f#*£d up. I don't know what position the valves on the head were in but when I went to turn the crank the engine didn't move (I didn't yank hard). My question is do you think I did some valve damage? is it possible it could have turned the camshaft? Is there anyway to know if there's damage without removing the head? Feel free to give me a hard time, I've already worn myself out thinking about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bowditch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel interference specs Reply with quote

I guess a better question is how much clearance do the hydraulic lifters have? Could it be possible that as I was torquing, the springs still had room to compress? and the oil escape?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel interference specs Reply with quote

I suppose you could loosen the cam caps, so you can get the cam into time, and then see what's up. With the cam off you could see if any of the lifters look damaged.

Central Jersey VW Society
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: