Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone else an A&P mechanic ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

minger wrote:
Sorta related: did y'all see a B-29 just got certified and will be flying soon?

Yes I did and I'm excited! I can't wait till they have Fi-Fi and Doc flying together in formation won't that be cool?! Cool Very Happy Very Happy

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Yes sir tommorow is the day. Last year they bought us lunch and gave us a flashlight. To show the ❤️
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

I am also an A&P, I started wrenching on OH-58's back in the mid to late 80's. They were the military version of the Bell Jet Ranger.

I actually got my A&P from Greenville Tech at Donaldson Center in SC. Its an old WWII facility if i remember correctly. I was in the second class to graduate from the then new program

I got tired of trying to find solid work so I am now doing other work and can retire in five years, maybe I will go back to wrenching on planes part time when I am done with this job. I miss that kind of work, but then again I have probably just forgot that it has its moments as well.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Wow another year gone by this year everyone got a genuine Snap-On
1/4 drive ratchet for AMT day, people still don’t know who Charles Taylor was. Lunch was a free hamburger which gave me the shits as we reflected on decades of service to the company almost 30 years for me. We watch as they don’t hire any new people for us to train and they are busy shipping the work out of the United States. That thing that happened a few weeks ago where an engine exploded and killed a woman was example of foreign repair work. All hushed up now more important stuff to worry about like royal wedding and such. See you next year😁
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Bummer, I didn't get my free tool. That's ok. I think I already have 4-5 1/4" snap on ratchets.

I'd like to hear more about the engine losing the blade. Very uncommon failure. I've done many CFM blade changes. Looks like it broke near the root. I know there is allowable damage further up the blade that can be profiled but I don't think so near the base. Who does the engine work for SW?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Good to hear from you. I used to do bill of work job on those blades on RB211 on 757s. Specifically you are removing the blades checking for cracks, weighing them test run and check for vibration before return to service.

The work for SWA gets done through partnership with engine manufacturer and another outfit in South America. General public has no idea nor do they care till something happens luckily that’s infrequent but as more stuff transitions outside US control what could go wrong? Ever heard of Aeroman in El Salvador? Multiple U.S. flag carriers going there for heavy maintenance now, not engine work specifically but lots of B check and light C checks. Just googled aeroman lots of info including prominent shots of well known US Airlines getting service there. As an older guy nearing the end of my career I count my lucky stars I managed to hang on here. People getting into this business now has much less opportunity.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Thu May 24, 2018 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

I’m totally against moving this work offshore. Remember Sabertech? They were in Miami but most of their workers weren’t licensed mechanics
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Sabertech was a subsidiary of a major US airline, Two of the supervisors were transferred to our station for reasons unknown to us. About a month after that fiasco people here unloaded oxygen generators and stored without protection of the lanyard. Thrown into a cardboard box, this was on an F-100.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

A subsidiary? They did the Valuejet work which resulted badly. I always heard they were third party maintenance. The plane was a DC9. Are you saying these same people did the same thing again and shipped O2 generators unsafely ?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Sabretech shipped the oxygen generators without locking the lanyard. The lanyard when pulled begins the chemical reaction which generates intense heat which in turn can and did cause a fire. What I saw was same scenario but without the fire, we were lucky and training is better now I hope. FAA is still looking for one guy from sabretech after all these years he’s still hiding.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Amazing. I saw that they renewed their search for the south american mechanic. Seems like a strange thing to do after so long.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Happy AMT day to all those hardworking men and women in the aviation industry. I would still recommend this as an occupation to youngersters that enjoy turning wrenches. This year we got a hamburger and a 3/8 drive Snap-On ratchet. I’m still on the books here as full time but only work 2 days a week. Retirement looking great
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: