Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding a tank to your compressor ?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Adding a tank to your compressor ? Reply with quote

Hey folks - I have a 21gal 3hp compressor that I want to add an external air tank to, for more volume. I went out today and purchased an 11gal portable tank, it's a 125psi unit from HF meant for airing up tires, etc, included a removable hose with pressure gauge. Has anyone done this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/11-gallon-portable-air-tank-65595.html

I'm not sure how to plumb it.. I thought about connecting it to my larger unit by adding a 1/4" female quick release to the new smaller tank (where the pressure gauge mounts)... then run a 3/8" quick release out to my gun. Or should I use it in the background so to speak? Thoughts/suggestions/ideas? Thanks.

Doug C
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a tank to your compressor ? Reply with quote

Sure. it's done all the time. but you wont see much difference with only a 1/3 of the volume added. If your compressor is rated for continuous use. I would source an old 60 gallon tank and use that. I go as far as hooking 2 compressors together when sandblasting so I can run continuously at 80psi. I just run them both to an air dryer with an outlet to the sandblaster.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a tank to your compressor ? Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Sure. it's done all the time. but you wont see much difference with only a 1/3 of the volume added. If your compressor is rated for continuous use. I would source an old 60 gallon tank and use that. I go as far as hooking 2 compressors together when sandblasting so I can run continuously at 80psi. I just run them both to an air dryer with an outlet to the sandblaster.

I just bit the bullet and bought a new 60 gallon tank to add to my 60 gallon compressor. I searched for months on Craigslist for a used one, but with what people wanted for them, I bought new.

Looking forward to seeing what 120 gallons of air will do.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a tank to your compressor ? Reply with quote

kman wrote:
..but you wont see much difference with only a 1/3 of the volume added....

OK, I have not opened the box of the new 11gal tank yet, so I could take it back. I just checked my "local" craigslist and I see a 20gal 5hp unit for $50 but honestly the drive is a little too excessive. Nothing worthwhile closer unfortunately. I'm just trying to buy my self a little more time, while painting before the pressure drops and gives me dry areas.

There is also a 21gal unit, probably 2.5/3 hp unit for $50 that has pump issues. Couldn't I rip the pump off and use the tank only? What to do?

BTW - should I just stop painting as soon as the compressor turns on and wait for it to fill up, before shooting at all? I got dry areas in my primer all ready.

Doug C
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a tank to your compressor ? Reply with quote

You could use the tank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: