Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible baja bug "jeep"?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason41987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Convertible baja bug "jeep"? Reply with quote

ive been looking for a new offroad vehicle, and i really like the idea of these classic beetles but wouldnt mind something that could go topless and doorless in the summer

so i had the idea of finding a convertible beetle for a project that i could put a rollcage into and maybe even remove the doors or fabricate some door inserts for an offroad beetle that is topless and doorless like youd typically find a jeep

has anyone done this before? i am unable to find photos of such a creature but i would definitely be interested in seeing something or hearing more feedback on the idea.. the rest of the body would be all beetle.. maybe some more offroad friendly fender flares though
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: convertible baja bug "jeep"? Reply with quote

One of my neighbours has a Wombat. Kinda cool.

http://www.wombatcar.com/
jason41987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: convertible baja bug "jeep"? Reply with quote

but that wombat is a complete body kit, i was just thinking of taking a convertible VW, putting in a roll cage and removing the doors, all on top of a baja bug conversion for the summer, then put the doors back on and maybe fab a hard top or an insulated soft top for the winter
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible baja bug "jeep"? Reply with quote

Lots of examples of that in the HBB off-road forums & off-road classified section. I would love build myself one but it rains too often here.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jason41987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible baja bug "jeep"? Reply with quote

well, thats what the soft top would be for

and could someone explain to me what this vehicle is?.. i would love to get a hood i could set a spare into like that.. it looks like with that and the headlights someone made an effort to copy some design details form the kubelwagen

http://d1mquhhbkq1b1r.cloudfront.net/2011/07/18/360199_web.jpg
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible baja bug "jeep"? Reply with quote

I would think body flex would make the doors removable, but by the end of summer- difficult to reinstall. Any guesses if you could retain a spare pair of doors- but gut them as a step through like the fiberglass doors from mid-70s scouts and broncos? Just a thought.

There are always convertible bajas for sale. You'd be saving another from a never-to-be-completed apron re-graft if you bought one already hacked.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
jason41987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible baja bug "jeep"? Reply with quote

thats exacttly what i was planning on doing is make "door inserts" by taking some old doors, gutting the insides, cutting out the large step through area and then bending and welding a piece inside to make the inside edge and install those in place of the doors like the bronco door inserts
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible baja bug "jeep"? Reply with quote

Get a Thing! Top down, doors off, fold the windshield down if you want, what more could you ask for on a fun in the sun car.
jason41987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible baja bug "jeep"? Reply with quote

id love a kubelwagen more.. if i could find some plans to construct an accurate kubelwagen tub to put on top of a VW chassis id totally do that.. id probably even go for the geared hubs for the ground clearance and maybe even a 4wd conversion.. but i cant find that sort of information to build the body

even better would be the plans for a schwimmwagen tub.. that way i wont even need to tow a boat to go fishing on the lake
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible baja bug "jeep"? Reply with quote

Like this?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=364294&highlight=police
jason41987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible baja bug "jeep"? Reply with quote

or maybe like this but without doors

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: