Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newby questions regarding "swaps"
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

I recently became the proud owner of a 1972, 411 squareback "patina" (lol). Some of the basics that are currently working but that I would like to update.

Mirrors: they seem pretty basic, can ghia, bug or type 3 work?

Wheels: everything I've read says the size and number of holes are common to all VWs true or false?

Defroster repair kits, do they work? Are they worth it?

Consoles or parcel trays: are either available or are there work a rounds?

There will be more questions I'm sure, thanks in advance for your input!

Deacon
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

Welcome Deacon! We would love to see some pics of your find!

Trying to answer your questions, others will fill in:

There are exterior mirrors right now in the Classifieds section here at theSamba:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...rds=mirror
Late Ghias exterior mirrors are also wery Close, other temporary VWs not so close.

Yes the wheels are same as the late Type3 and bug.

Sorry, dont know about defroster repair kits...

I have only seen one factory made tray type for the 411/412, a bit strange design and wery rare was only available in the '70s.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

Welcome Deacon, hoping to see some pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kgarchivinusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

Welcome here,

There is an underdash parcel tray avaible.

1968 VW 411 4-door royal red
1968 VW 411 L 4-door cobaltblue
1988 Porsche 924S Targa alpinweiss

(O = i = O) Karmann Ghia rassig und charmant [hot-blooded and charming] [O o\ i /o O]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kgarchivinusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

I have an old style bamboo tray in my car.

(O = i = O) Karmann Ghia rassig und charmant [hot-blooded and charming] [O o\ i /o O]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

kgarchivinusa wrote:
Welcome here,

There is an underdash parcel tray avaible.

Who has the same floor tray as I have kgarchivinusa?

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
kgarchivinusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

This car was sold on bugbus in 2012, Lars.

Greetings Lutz Wink

Deacon64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

wow! Awesome trays, not sure how I feel about that floor console, it's pretty funky. I'm sure that if one comes across my path I'll be vying for it.

Tires and wheels?

I found a set of 4-lug 4.5x15 Riviera rims. I love the Hot wheels look, but want to be sure they wil work and find out what tires I should put on them.

Pics attached for reference, also this is my 1972-411.

Thanks in advance and if anyone has a line on those parcel trays or consoles, hit me up!

Deacon

Deacon64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

Well, that was a big dead end. I didn't get the wheels, too big a risk. I did get a great set of front seats, waiting to redo the interior. Still just driving around, took a 250 mile round trip jaunt to the nor cal coast, ran like a champ.

More questions, how do you swap out the windshield mirror?

What do I need to know about wheels? I really want something more interesting.

I look forward to hearing from you.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

Deacon64 wrote:
Well, that was a big dead end. I didn't get the wheels, too big a risk. I did get a great set of front seats, waiting to redo the interior. Still just driving around, took a 250 mile round trip jaunt to the nor cal coast, ran like a champ.

More questions, how do you swap out the windshield mirror?

What do I need to know about wheels? I really want something more interesting.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Typically if the wheel fits a late type 3.....the late body style like 72 and 73......it should fit the 411/412.

As for the door mirrors.....the late type 3 mirrors will install into the stock mountng hole. DO NOT get rid of the original mirrors though.....you can have new glass cut for them and they are unique ro type 4 cars.

As for the interior mirror......why are you swapping it out? Is it broken? You can most probably get new glass cut for it as well.

As far as I know the type 4 mirror is unique to our cars. To remove it....you grasp the stalk and twist it. It has a cam shape on the end that holds it into the body.

Glad to see you working on a 411 wagon!

Just a couple of things though.....I know one always wants to work on making cars look better......what are you doing or have you done on the mechanicals of the car?

On virtually all type 4s found these days......there is a lot that should be done before just driving it around. Most that have sat for a while and even most that have been running but owned by owners who are not really into these cars....."seem" to run and drive ok. ....but if some basics have not been done at this age......there are certain items that are prone to failure that start destroying parts you cannot easily replace. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

Front what I remember, Riviera's won't fit. Well, they will on the back but there is a clearance issue on the fronts. I will dig up the thread if I can.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

My bad, they do fit.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419546&highlight=riviera
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

2.0 liter Fuchs & the reproductions will fit good! They are 5.5" wide & I have 185X60 & 205X70 on my squareback.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deacon64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

I'm replacing the center mirror because it won't stay put, the glass is fine. I points to the shifter knob great, not so great out the rear window.

As far as mechanics, I think I really lucked out. The PO is a VW guy, racing and busses mostly. He had a 411 and 412, I got the 411, he kept the 412 4 door for his daily driver. Apparently my car was a bit of a fixture in Sacramento, and has been very well maintained and serviced. I had another VW guy here go through it, he said it was in great condition.

Hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow I'll have the new seats and mirrors in place and will post before and afters.

Where would you go to get mirror cut for the passenger side mirror?

You guys are great, thank you Ray for all the patience with a Type 4 newbie.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

Deacon64 wrote:
I'm replacing the center mirror because it won't stay put, the glass is fine. I points to the shifter knob great, not so great out the rear window.

As far as mechanics, I think I really lucked out. The PO is a VW guy, racing and busses mostly. He had a 411 and 412, I got the 411, he kept the 412 4 door for his daily driver. Apparently my car was a bit of a fixture in Sacramento, and has been very well maintained and serviced. I had another VW guy here go through it, he said it was in great condition.

Hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow I'll have the new seats and mirrors in place and will post before and afters.

Where would you go to get mirror cut for the passenger side mirror?

You guys are great, thank you Ray for all the patience with a Type 4 newbie.

No problem! .....but......I have to give my standard disclaimer and warning and this is about the right time.

1. Take it slow.

2. I have rarely found that any 411 or 412 is in as good of shape as new owner or current commercial mechanic.....thinks it is.
There just are not.....to my knowledge and experience. ...ANY mechanics......who are experienced (and this is the qualifier).......with 40+ year old type 4s.

I knew a handful when I was in high school in the late 70s/early 80s......and have met more than a few ex-dealer mechanics over the past 30 years......but the problem with all of those people....is that all of their experience was with .....NEW and YOUNG.....type 4 cars.

None of these mechanics.....back in the day...... had ever had to rebuild a worn out front or rear suspension.
The problem is that there are parts that wear out....that wear out after the main glory days of these cars.....that were not really planned on from the maintnace point of view Only a few of the dealer guys have ever had to replace items like radius arm centering rings, or had seen the long term wear issues to stock strut bushings, the centerlink or even worn out front or rear control arm and trailing arm bushings. What the dealers saw of these were mainly due to accident damage.

3. My point being that about 85% of new owners who buy cars in the past 10 years......make the mistake of getting out and driving. .....a lot......before really going through the car.....and quickly run into parts.....mostly in the front end.....starting to quickly break. Its usually a shimmy or drive quality issue they can't explain......and alignment won't fix.

If the owner you got this from says it was well cared for and he never had to do anything......and it seems solid at the moment. ...it means it was lightly driven, short distances.....and he didn't do anything.

Its usually someone who buys a lightly driven carefully cared for car.....who gets in it and drives a long weekend to his first show with the car.......that causes the problems to surface.

The parts in question. ....die from old age just as much as miles....partly due to some material flaws common in the era they were built.

My suggestion is to carefully go through the car after doing some reading.

But......you are going to love this car. Wink

Any decent glass shop should be able to cut mirror glass for you. Take your old mirror to them.

What is wrong with your interior mirror. Is it an attachment issue or does it pivot on the ball? There are a couple of fixes to tighten up the ball. Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Tue May 31, 2016 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Newby questions regarding "swaps" Reply with quote

By the way, Mk1 VW Golf rear view mirror is the same as used in type 4. The arm is different but the mirror is the same. Only difference is that the Golf mirror has some stamps in the back. The material is better quality and stand better uv-rays and heat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: