Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

solex 28 pci carb seepage
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eliacona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: solex 28 pci carb seepage Reply with quote

I have a 36 h.p. motor with the stock Solex PIC carbm with a new gasket fom Wolfsburg West, and it has a little gas seeping from the top gasket, just enough to make it annoying etc.
I understand there may be soetypical factors as to why it does this, one being the two surfaces are not flush because of age, and warping etc.
Unfortunately the gasket that comes form W. West, is very Thin!!! I wonder what remedies could be done to solve this,less having it machined down surfaces.
I would think a thicker gasket couild do the trick. I am reluctant to use Permantex or "Loctite",as I read comments about the possible truouble you can have with so called gasket/sealer makers breaking off and getting into the carb.
When I called the aprent co. "Henkel" the tech guy, said not to use Loctite 515,but some other product hi tack , which I can't seem to get from the "distributors".
Anyway, naturally Wolfsburg doesn't sell the top gasket alone anyway!.
Anyone have some remedies?

Thanks
Paul
56 Oval
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: solex 28 pci carb seepage Reply with quote

my 28pci had the same seepage issue so I finally took it off the car and all apart and used a flat sharpening stone (about 2"x7") to grind and true up the mating surfaces. It took awhile to do properly but it was worth it

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: solex 28 pci carb seepage Reply with quote

The WW carburetor to manifold gasket is thin, aircooled sells one that is 1.5mm thick. Part #N137761 or N137991. As Bug-nut stated, flattening the matting surfaces may also be necessary.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: solex 28 pci carb seepage Reply with quote

A machine shop belt sander, fine grit, will make short work of this problem once the carb is apart. Some carbs are so bad (over-tightening of screws?) that you will see lots of light passing between the two halves held together by hand. I've found carbs with doubled gaskets, but really, anything short of truing up the halves will be a half-measure.
eliacona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: solex 28 pci carb seepage Reply with quote

Yes, it makes sense to true up / flatten the two carb mating surfaces, I I assume you used a honing stone? and the belt sander is another method, I have an old Craftsman belt sander, but you suggest a machine shop/
Thanks
for your help.

Paul
alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: solex 28 pci carb seepage Reply with quote

Sandpaper (150 grit or so) on a piece of plate glass can be used to true up these surfaces. Done by hand...much more control versus a belt sander. I don't recall if you have to remove the emulsion tube holder or any jets that are above the surface of the carb body.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: solex 28 pci carb seepage Reply with quote

If I remember right all I had to remove was the venturi (yes it was a pain but lots of PB blaster and gentle application of heat got it out)

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: