Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long time VW mechanics?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

A question for the long time VW mechanics. I clearly do not qualify as such.

What are the most common reasons for breakdowns on the road in regards to air cooled VW's? (not including flat tires or running out of gas) I'm just curious about this since old VW's have a reputation, real or not, for breaking down. I've broken down twice with 2 different VW's and both times it was a bad condenser, but I doubt that would be near the top of the list for common breakdowns.
mrmdls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

While I won't qualify myself as a mechanic, I'll venture that the following are some of the most common:

Broken Accelerator cable
Broken clutch cable
Blown brake hose or wheel cylinder
Poorly adjusted carb causing stalling, or no start issue.
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

By far the most common reason that I have seen is ignition failure due to closed up points. Vacuum leaks on fuel injected models is probably the second most common reason. Fuel pump failure is all to common now with the crappy parts available...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I'm just curious about this since old VW's have a reputation, real or not, for breaking down.

I've always wondered if that "reputation" came about from some folks thinking that these would just run forever by themselves without any maintenance, or from hindsight comparison to more-modern vehicles. Maybe too-many oil changes and valve adjustments were overlooked.

In the 1970s I worked on VWs for a VW/dune buggy rental agency, and most failures on the road were points rubbing block not being lubed or from people abusing the dune buggies off-road, bending tie rod ends.

Here's the on-road issues I've had since the 1970s, with my 2 VWs.

Wire back to coil shorted and burned, got home by running wire over the roof (my 1970).

Cusser's mom had generator pulley break 20 miles from home in late 1970s (my 1971).

Clutch cable snapped in California in 1979, had spare and wingnut in trunk (my 1970).

GF broke accelerator cable in 1980 while loaned to her for a month (my 1971)..

Mrs. Cusser also had accelerator cable break while driving, in 1990s (my 1971).

Mrs. Cusser also had clutch cable break in a parking lot, in 2000s (my 1971).

I had a generator bearing go out in 1980s, still made it home at night (my 1970).

I once had the fuel tank vent line plug up coming back from California, limped it into Blythe before I figured that out, in 1984 (my 1970).

Personally, I've never had a distributor, carb, or fuel pump issue on the road in any of mine. I did carry the replacement clutch and accelerator cables, a spare set of points, a fan belt, and a new generator pulley with me.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

Lack of maintenance.

Poor quality of replacement parts.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Lack of maintenance.

Poor quality of replacement parts.

The only time I've been on the side of the road in the last 4+ years of ownership was due to a broken rubbing block on cheap replacement points. Engine failed exactly at my exit after a 25 mile drive home at 11:30 PM.

A little love and PM goes a long way. Don't skimp on the parts that count.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

Interesting that the rubbing block on the points is a common problem here. I didn't know that. Are these rubbing blocks failing because of age or poor quality? If it's poor quality, like my 2 new condensers that failed within 2 weeks, maybe the switch to an electronic ignition system is worthwhile?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

Here is what I carry during my travels.
Complete German 009 distributor, it has points preadjusted, rotor, cap, condenser.
Fuel pump with matching push rod.
Coil.
basic tools.
As far as break downs all of the above.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Interesting that the rubbing block on the points is a common problem here. I didn't know that. Are these rubbing blocks failing because of age or poor quality?

The points that left me stranded had a plastic rubbing block. It snapped off right at the base, so there was nothing left to ride the distributor cam.

The good points have a fiberboard block of sorts, much more durable.

Part of what I love about the old VW is having to keep all these little things in adjustment. It's part of the experience for me, and I plan to run points for the foreseeable future. Your stance may differ.

I did go to an electric fuel pump because I was worried about my aftermarket mechanical, and it seems rebuild kits for original pumps are flaky at best.
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

I've never heard that bugs have a reputation for breaking down. I think reliability was always a plus for them. Maybe that's changing due to hack repairs by inexperienced DIY'ers, dying out of shops that actually know ACVW's, and crappy after market parts.

I've encountered 2 Bugs on the road having problems over the past couple years. Both times they ran out of gas because the driver pushed their luck on inaccurate gas gauge readings.
LocknFestBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

Back in the day, with my first '68 bug, I remember only one time having an accelerator cable breaking, and the occasional points needing adjustment and that's about it. And back then we ran the piss out of them cars. I also had a '68 bug in the 80's and I hardly ever did any maintenance to it and it was very dependable.
But in the last year and a half of owning another '68, I have been chasing the same two problems since I have had the car. Not idling, and vaporlock. Both are because of the aftermarket junk that's out there today. I contacted Volkzbitz and have a rebuilt Solex 30pict3 on the way and I decided on an electric fuel pump. I found two solex carburetors and two German distributors and I will never use another aftermarket part again. Lesson learned.
Other than the aftermarket carb and fuel pump, my DD is very reliable. That say's a lot being it is a 48 year old car!
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

My 69 bug left me stranded once in the Pearl Harbor NEX parking lot due to running out of fuel which in turn burned up the electric fuel pump. My 71 vert left me stranded the day I bought it because I was not aware that the fuel gauge was not working (according to gauge, had half a tank left). Walked 1 mile to buy fuel can from Sears (29 dollars...total rip off), then walked 1/2 mile in opposite direction to gas station.

Bought new components to include the fuel indicator and vibrator, "thought" it was working. Few months later, got on the freeway heading to Waikiki for Toys for Tots cruise and parade, gauge went from half to full then empty.....shut off on freeway shoulder.....

So.....fuel issues have been, well a issue for both of my most recent bugs! Surprised).....albeit self inflicted Embarassed . Have since learned to keep it fueled up even if I'm making a quick trip to 7-11 down the road. regardless of the fuel indicator Very Happy

Other than that. I also keep spare points & codensor, oil, belt, assorted tools, fix-a-flat, spark plug, clutch and accelerator cables, zip ties, electrical and duct tape for those "just in case" moments. Rolling Eyes

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
155/60R15 74T tires FRONT
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

Mudpump wrote:
I've never heard that bugs have a reputation for breaking down. I think reliability was always a plus for them. Maybe that's changing due to hack repairs by inexperienced DIY'ers, dying out of shops that actually know ACVW's, and crappy after market parts.

I've encountered 2 Bugs on the road having problems over the past couple years. Both times they ran out of gas because the driver pushed their luck on inaccurate gas gauge readings.

HAHAHAH Was on of them a purple pearl Vert with white top and interior? Laughing

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
155/60R15 74T tires FRONT
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
I'm just curious about this since old VW's have a reputation, real or not, for breaking down.

I've always wondered if that "reputation" came about from some folks thinking that these would just run forever by themselves without any maintenance, or from hindsight comparison to more-modern vehicles. Maybe too-many oil changes and valve adjustments were overlooked.

In the 1970s I worked on VWs for a VW/dune buggy rental agency, and most failures on the road were points rubbing block not being lubed or from people abusing the dune buggies off-road, bending tie rod ends.

Here's the on-road issues I've had since the 1970s, with my 2 VWs.

Wire back to coil shorted and burned, got home by running wire over the roof (my 1970).

Cusser's mom had generator pulley break 20 miles from home in late 1970s (my 1971).

Clutch cable snapped in California in 1979, had spare and wingnut in trunk (my 1970).

GF broke accelerator cable in 1980 while loaned to her for a month (my 1971)..

Mrs. Cusser also had accelerator cable break while driving, in 1990s (my 1971).

Mrs. Cusser also had clutch cable break in a parking lot, in 2000s (my 1971).

I had a generator bearing go out in 1980s, still made it home at night (my 1970).

I once had the fuel tank vent line plug up coming back from California, limped it into Blythe before I figured that out, in 1984 (my 1970).

Personally, I've never had a distributor, carb, or fuel pump issue on the road in any of mine. I did carry the replacement clutch and accelerator cables, a spare set of points, a fan belt, and a new generator pulley with me.

And there is your answer seems to be the accelerator cable that is the axis of the troubles with these cars. I will be honest i cary a spare in my on road kit even though i use a thick hd cable. Everyone with dual carbs should be more concerned about a snaped cable. Would not hurt to carry a spare spark plug as well last thing you want to stiffle you and keep you jammed up.
doc hopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

To these others I would add fuel pump failure, specifically the pumps without a circlip on the pin that supports the pump operating lever.

I had one of those pins walk itself out of the hole while I was changing lanes at 70 mph on the freeway.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

andrewvwclassic wrote:
And there is your answer seems to be the accelerator cable that is the axis of the troubles with these cars. I will be honest i cary a spare in my on road kit even though i use a thick hd cable. Everyone with dual carbs should be more concerned about a snaped cable. Would not hurt to carry a spare spark plug as well last thing you want to stiffle you and keep you jammed up.

In 44 years of driving VWs as daily driver, out-of-state vacations, and now just around town, I've NEVER had an accelerator cable break while I was present or the driver.

And now that my 1835cc engine has a solid threaded insert on #2 cylinder, I started carrying the extra inserts (from the pack of four), a spark plug, and a rachet wrench & spark plug socket. It was driveable, but loud and underpowered, when the spark plug blew out. I'm on the second insert now (since November), and haven't had any issues, but this time I actually used a torque wrench to tighten it, feel I babied it when I tightened first insert, but that one did last like 6 years.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jgcooney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

I've been driving and working on these cars for 55 years. The only problem I've ever had that left me beside the the road was a fuel pump a couple of years ago. I have always been thorough in my maintenance; replacing clutch and accelerator cables before they were worn out, checking points and plugs frequently, oil changes and valve adjustments every 2,000 to 3,000 miles. My experience has been that if they are properly maintained these old cars are very reliable.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

Maybe the title should have been generic to bug owners. I've had my share, maybe cuz I'm not a mechanic.

5 bugs over 8 years (4 in the 80s):

- points closing - worse w today's points than 80s
- bad crankshaft seal soaking clutch
- dropped a valve requiring lower end rebuild
- bad flame thrower coil
- broken clutch cable shaft inside the tunnel
- broken accelerator cable
- vaporlock 1x
- shorted license plate light wires
- flat tire, no spare
- ran out of gas
- failed pertronix module
- crappy pertronix svda dizzy (there's a pattern here)
- bad needle valve in the carb bowl
- finally just yesterday, a corroded fuel hose by the tyranny swelling and blocking fuel flow

Quite a list!! Shocked

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

From up in Canada down in to Mexico thousands and thousands of air cooled miles, only two breakdowns.
#1 Original equipment, 60k miles not rebuilt, pierburg fuel pump crapped out in San Antonio , TX (breaking down you meet some of the nicest people when you least expect it : )
#2 Generator brushes wore down killing battery at night in the jungles of Vera Cruz, MX ( pure stupidity for not looking at them and not much fun in dark jungle : (

Actually one more, almost forgot #3, aftermarket distributed cap with a weak spring behind the center contact let me down a mile walk from home. It was intermittent and a real pain to diagnose.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time VW mechanics? Reply with quote

Old n' slow wrote:
From up in Canada down in to Mexico thousands and thousands of air cooled miles, only two breakdowns.
#1 Original equipment, 60k miles not rebuilt, pierburg fuel pump crapped out in San Antonio , TX (breaking down you meet some of the nicest people when you least expect it : )
#2 Generator brushes wore down killing battery at night in the jungles of Vera Cruz, MX ( pure stupidity for not looking at them and not much fun in dark jungle : (

Actually one more, almost forgot #3, aftermarket distributed cap with a weak spring behind the center contact let me down a mile walk from home. It was intermittent and a real pain to diagnose.

As a matter of fact I had a lot more breakdowns in water cooled VW's ....that's why I'm back to air cooled : )

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: