Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How often do you replace your in-tank sock filter?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: How often do you replace your in-tank sock filter? Reply with quote

I've actually never done this before in my life. Seems pretty straightforward, but it got me wondering if anyone has a set schedule for doing this.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you replace your in-tank sock filter? Reply with quote

When I was upgrading my fuel tank outlet to the larger 8 mm FI size, I removed the original screen and it was plugged about 50% of the way up. Not bad after 45 years of use Wink

Replaced it with a new screen and gasket, with the larger FI nut, and it's been fine for two years since. That is the only time in my 35+ years of Beetle ownership that I've replaced the screen.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you replace your in-tank sock filter? Reply with quote

Im skeered to touch it......it might have worms in it.
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: How often do you replace your in-tank sock filter? Reply with quote

I changed mine in 2015...it had not been changed ever. 1970 Beetle. It wasn't clogged. Not a difficult job just a difficult spot to get to. Old and new socks pictured below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you replace your in-tank sock filter? Reply with quote

I've got the original filter sock in my 1971 Convertible...and in my 1970 sedan.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you replace your in-tank sock filter? Reply with quote

Does the tank on a '72 Super have one of those? I know it doesn't have a removable outlet like a standard's tank.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you replace your in-tank sock filter? Reply with quote

The thing I am really wondering about is if I perhaps ruined my original one in there when I pulled the tank a few years back and sloshed cleaning chemical agents around in it. Probably not--but even so I guarantee it looks about like the one pictured above

1600 SP engine
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you replace your in-tank sock filter? Reply with quote

never have changed mine... taken it out and cleaned it every couple years as it is cleanable just like VW designed it to be.
doc hopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you replace your in-tank sock filter? Reply with quote

Doesn't hurt to go through the trouble of removing the center piece where the fuel sender goes now and then to take a peak inside the tank with a flashlight. I have had those mesh socks collapse.

You can be driving along fat, dumb and happy with the road movement keeping the collapsed thing flopping around, allowing gas to get through, and then on a flat surface it folds like a cheap suit and the symptoms make you think your fuel pump has quit.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you replace your in-tank sock filter? Reply with quote

doc hopper wrote:
Doesn't hurt to go through the trouble of removing the center piece where the fuel sender goes now and then to take a peak inside the tank with a flashlight. I have had those mesh socks collapse.

You can be driving along fat, dumb and happy with the road movement keeping the collapsed thing flopping around, allowing gas to get through, and then on a flat surface it folds like a cheap suit and the symptoms make you think your fuel pump has quit.

I am kind of wondering if this is what is happening. I thought at first I had debris particles in my fuel system that occasionally makes it idle low, and I've had it stall out a couple times for no apparent reason over the last week. But most of the time it seems to run fine.
It's ALWAYS hard to restart after driving then parking for a while, still haven't figured that one out. Didn't use to have that problem at all, would always start right up. The ONLY thing I can think of anymore is that it has something to do with my carb (rebuilt by Tim) now having an idle cutoff solenoid on it where it didn't before. Absolutely nothing else changed.

1600 SP engine
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you replace your in-tank sock filter? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
The thing I am really wondering about is if I perhaps ruined my original one in there when I pulled the tank a few years back and sloshed cleaning chemical agents around in it. Probably not--but even so I guarantee it looks about like the one pictured above

You didn't, by chance, use the old "chain trick" when performing that cleaning-------------or maybe seal the tank internally after it was all nice and clean?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you replace your in-tank sock filter? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

You didn't, by chance, use the old "chain trick" when performing that cleaning-------------or maybe seal the tank internally after it was all nice and clean?

what is the old chain trick
All i did was pour the gas out, pour solvent in and slosh it around, then pour it out and put new gas in
To be honest I don't even remember what I used but I think it was Seafoam

1600 SP engine
Old525i
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you replace your in-tank sock filter? Reply with quote

I pulled the tank in my 73 Superbeetle to fix the cabin fuel smell problem. I did not see a nut that can be removed from the bottom to replace the filter. Could it be that my car has an after market tank?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: