Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help ID year of oval
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorCal Case
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Help ID year of oval Reply with quote

My buddy an I picked up a oval today. We were told is was a 55, no semaphores no ribbed doors. Ok so late 55. Car was cut into a baja a long time ago. Problem is I'm not sure I'm reading the numbers right. The engine has a hand crank pulley on it and a 28pict carb. It has a trip odometer speedo.

The vin plate says 486550
The body right below the vin plate says 487140
The engine on the lower left side say 111 101 101A

Any help would be great.
I can post pictures of everything if that will help.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID year of oval Reply with quote

Assuming the chassis number is 1486550, not 1-0486550, both the chassis and body date from March 1957.
NorCal Case
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID year of oval Reply with quote

Don't see a 1 or 0

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID year of oval Reply with quote

That last pic is the case half part number. That's not going to help you date your engine much. The one you want is on the generator pedestal.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCal Case
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID year of oval Reply with quote

There is no number on the post stand. It is blank so it's a factory replacement engine right? Just wondering why it has a crank start on it. Also the pan number does have the 1 in front of the vin number. The vin plate just doesn't have the 1 at all. Kinda weird. It also has the luvers in the heater channels right by the door pillers so it's a 57.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID year of oval Reply with quote

NorCal Case wrote:
There is no number on the post stand. It is blank so it's a factory replacement engine right?

Probably.
If it has a crank start nut on it, it may have been in a Bus at one point - they were crank start through 1959
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chthemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help ID year of oval Reply with quote

Are there any stamps on the sides of the generator stand I f it's a factory rebuilt unit it should have kd then another letter then numbers

Chrisstiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help ID year of oval Reply with quote

Hey everyone, Appreciate all the help thus far. So being that it's still raining a little, I only Took a quick look and at a glance it seems to be completely smooth.There does seem to be a bit of natures build up in and around the area lol. In a few i'll get out there and see if I can clean her up a bit more. Thanks again Smile
Chrisstiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID year of oval Reply with quote

Am I in the correct location?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID year of oval Reply with quote

Yes but what he said above is not always true.
If it's a completely new case they didn't always stamp the older numbers on the side.
I have 2 cases right now with no numbers on the face or the side.

You can look at the left side of the generator stand and see the engine case casting dates.
Thread about those from the Oval FAQ:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380362
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chrisstiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help ID year of oval Reply with quote

I just found that link after i had already posted. I'll check the above listed location when i'm back at the car.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID year of oval Reply with quote

Looking at the engine that is in the car now is not a good way to determine the year of yer Oval Window.
janerick3 wrote:
Assuming the chassis number is 1486550, not 1-0486550, both the chassis and body date from March 1957.

That's gonna be my guess as well.
What's the number on the pan?

On a bare body shell (or a car that has had parts swapped or is missing the VIN plate), check for the location of the interior heater vents.
If the heater channels have not been replaced, these can be important clues to determine the year of the car.

'55 and older has an oval-shaped heater vents with mesh screen inside.

'56 has one-year-only heater channels . . . louvered heater vents way up by the front bulkhead.

'57 and newer has louvered heater vents close to the hinge/door pillar.
747frieghtdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID year of oval Reply with quote

Bump.

I hate stories with no ending.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: