Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Witch Hats Which?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Witch Hats Which? Reply with quote

So for all you anal retents....Do all the moulding holes, front quarter,doors,rear quarter and hood all have rubber witch hats on the backside of the hole? I know the front quarters do. And hood. And the speaker trim plate. But what about the door and rear quarters? Im thinking they must. Which is a pain to replace or re-glue them if you have to take the door apart and the rear panels out to get access. Just curious. I need to push the existing moulding cups through to the backside rather than pulling them out becuase when i pull them out, im pulling off paint with the cups. Crying or Very sad

So i need to push them all through, and it seems there are rubber cups on the backsides which must mean all the holes have the witches hats.

Rob
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Witch Hats Which? Reply with quote

All holes originally had witches hats, I usually use the modern push thru stuff and the witches hats both so it's less likely to leak. The modern push thru type is much better in the blind area such as the doors and rear quarters for the reason you stated.
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Witch Hats Which? Reply with quote

Oh, i see. So originally the car would not have had the modern clip cups then? Its a 57 Oval. If so, wouldn't the original clips have been a differnt size or were the original clips all the scissor style? Since the cups are fairly thick i would think they mist have all been scissor style? Or original clips were larger since if no rubber cups, the diameter of the hole would be larger. I am going to use both too. Especially since from what i can see all the witch hats are stiil present becuase the cups, when pushed through dont fall, the hats are still back there holding the cups from dropping. Pain.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Witch Hats Which? Reply with quote

My understanding is that the cups replaced the witch hats as a progressive refinement, the clips stayed the same and the hole size in the body stayed the same. Use both if you wish but it would be redundant. In my book, witch hats are cool. Those rear quarter panel hats take some extra work but in the end it's worth it to have the right pieces for the right year.
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Witch Hats Which? Reply with quote

With no cups though, it would be metal (clips) on metal when inserting the molding with clips attached. And if cups replaced hats, it would seem that the diameter of the clips would have had to change (smaller clips). But we know that there are not 2 different types of clips/ Well there is if you count the scissor clips.

So would a 57 have had no rubber cups, but just witch hats on the backside? Seems unlikely. My car is both cups and hats. But it has been repainted, and the original clips are long gone. But the witch hats are all there.

Maybe Bruce is reading this and can comment, at least from a '57 standpoint since his car is all original very low mileage.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Witch Hats Which? Reply with quote

I can't speak to the other years but my 57 had only witch hats from the factory, no cups.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Witch Hats Which? Reply with quote

Witch hats through 1960; cups 1961-on.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Witch Hats Which? Reply with quote

The cups replaced the witch hats as has been stated. The cups provide superior sealing and protect the holes from the clips. If you can fit the cups and then cover them with the witch hats then you will have the best of both worlds and unless someone pulled one of the witch hats off they would never know.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: