Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600sp exhaust questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshuabiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: 1600sp exhaust questions Reply with quote

I have a 1600sp motor that had the factory muffler on it but I installed the headers low clearing style with a stinger. Do I just start it up and drive or do I need to do the timing or anything after installing the muffler system? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600sp exhaust questions Reply with quote

I too a 1600sp.

I just did the opposite. Went from a stinger to an original exhaust/peasooters.

It ran a little too rich for me once I put the stocker back on. A quick adjustment and I was good to go. I should also mention... the recent weather change I also adjusted the choke as well.

I didnt touch the timing.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
joshuabiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600sp exhaust questions Reply with quote

Awesome Glad to hear some insight on the subject.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600sp exhaust questions Reply with quote

No need to touch the timing but you're likely to have icing problems at some point if you're using a center mount carb. This is because the headers aren't designed to properly flow exhaust gasses thru the heat risers.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600sp exhaust questions Reply with quote

VeeDubDoug wrote:
I too a 1600sp.

I just did the opposite. Went from a stinger to an original exhaust/peasooters.

It ran a little too rich for me once I put the stocker back on. A quick adjustment and I was good to go. I should also mention... the recent weather change I also adjusted the choke as well.

I didnt touch the timing.

Not trying to be a b-- buster, but I'm really curious.......by a quick adjustment do you mean change the main power jet or just actually "adjust" an external screw (as in idle adjustment)?

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600sp exhaust questions Reply with quote

Going to a stinger will put you lean at higher RPM, good way to drop an exhaust valve eventually. Read your plugs and go up a tick or two on your main jet, but especially if you aren't running a baffle in it...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600sp exhaust questions Reply with quote

[quote="Old n' slow"]
Quote:

Not trying to be a b-- buster, but I'm really curious.......by a quick adjustment do you mean change the main power jet or just actually "adjust" an external screw (as in idle adjustment)?

A good question, I did not specify. I did NOT change jets... Only fiddled the mixture and idle screws.

I knew someone would poopoo the ol' stinger too...

Lean is bad, yes... but you can run lean with any exhaust.

NOT ONCE have I ever had a valve problem from a stinger. Used them EXCLUSIVLY for over 20 years! On street cars, used daily.

Cheap header problems and low flanges sure... Im sure the icing may also be true with some of these cheapo headers... but I'm lucky, or unlucky enough to live in southern California.

... I understand the theory of the problem... However, I go by experience.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: