Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Issue
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Fuel Issue Reply with quote

New 71 Ghia. Not running, PO claimed it was running the week before I purchased, he went to move it, wouldn't start. We can believe that or not, not sure.
Anyway, I'm not getting any fuel into the fuel filter. PO put a filter between the pump and the carb. That doesn't thrill me and I'll change it out, but for now it's helpful. I put a new clear filter on there, no gas whatsoever getting to the filter. The old filter also, had no gas in it....

So, I double checked the battery, trying to start we only had 6 volts, so I bought a new one. I also went ahead and replaced the fuel pump (mechanical). Still.. nothing. No gas to fuel filter. Pushrod was 13 mm and everything is back on nice and snug. Even if I was off a little, I'd think I'd at least get some fuel.

Another thing to mention, the garage and our downstairs smells pretty badly of gas. I looked around underneath, no fuel on the ground, but there's definitely a very strong smell of gas coming from the tank area. I'm a Westy owner, first ghia but I'm going to assume the smell of gas, that strong, is not normal. I'm open to any suggestions and strongly suggest something up front now, rather than in the back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue Reply with quote

I'd say it's process of elimination at this point, Start up front and pull the carpet back to expose the tank and check the vent lines and the tank for deformation, then pull the passenger front tire off, check fuel line from tank to where it enters the tunnel, then if you can, pull the line off of the tank, have plenty of rags and a drain tray and work fast..the fuel should dump out of there..if not..there's your problem, clogged filter screen or valve in the tank..
If it does pour out, put the line back on the tank and crimp it with a pair of vice grips..then take it off the nipple where it enters the tunnel..( this is all tight working quarters, but you have a bus Very Happy )
Go to the back and remove the line exiting the fire wall before the filter and blast some compressed air on an air chuck..
PS, now would be a good time to replace those cloth fuel lines with some Gates R7
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue Reply with quote

Todays task, acquire new fuel line (thanks to my friend and mechanic JP) and get a 2nd key cut. Aquire proper fuel pump, I had one for alternator, not generator. Drained fuel tank (what does one do with a bucket full of gas) pulled out the screen and it was pretty solid. Also made a trip for a 22 mm open end wrench, didn't have one of those. Banged out all the rust and sludge, cleaned it with carb cleaner and it's passable now. Blew out the line front to back with a compressor, got some rusty sand out that way as well. Thought my bucket to catch was in the right place but it blew out across the garage floor. Not sure if there was anything super solid in there. Replaced fuel lines up front and put everything back together. Tomorrow I'll replace the rest of the line move the fuel filter out of the engine compartment and install the fuel pump. After that it will be the moment of truth. I also found my gas smell issue. The vent line that runs from the tank down the passenger fender and under to the rear charcoal filter has broken. I'll get some proper tubing to replace that but want to get started first. That's goal #1. So tomorrow is sink or swim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue Reply with quote

(what does one do with a bucket full of gas)

Kill weeds. Start fires. Gum up your lawnmower, burn ant trails. Not much really. Gasoline is more toxic than most things. I would much rather stick my hand in a bucket of paint thinner for example.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue Reply with quote

Sounds like you're on the right track..
By "solid" do you mean it was blocked solid or like "right on man, far out and solid"? Very Happy
If your tank is nasty inside, and you can check by pulling out the sender and using one of those inspection cams you can rent from Home Depot or the like,
I'd pull it out now and re-seal it..
POR sells a great kit for less than $100 and have instruction on their website.
The whole process takes about a weekend, which allows for proper curing.
If you want to run the car in the mean time you can put a jerry can in where the spare tire lives with a length of hose submerged
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue Reply with quote

By solid I mean that I could roll the screen in my fingers like it had a soft dowel in it. I seriously doubt it has ever been changed or cleaned. I was able to tap out a good amount of junk that looked almost like pieces of wood covered in rust. Who knows what it was. For now I just wAnt to see about getting it started and take a drive. If I can get through the summer as is, great. Fall/winter it will be off the road to fix rust so I want to get some enjoyment out of it. Hopefully later today there will be a success post. Getting ready now to head down and finish up
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue Reply with quote

New fuel pump, lines are clear , blew through air no problem, cleaned screen, I really think all is good there. If I put gas in the carb I can get it to turn over no problem but it burns up that gas and then dies. SO CLOSE! I pulled the fuel line off the carb and had wife start it, no fuel from the fuel pump to carb.

Easy check, I put new fuel filter in backwards. Other than that.. pushrod perhaps too short/worn? Suggestions?
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue Reply with quote

Confirmed fuel filter is in correct direction
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue Reply with quote

So there is fuel in the filter now right? feeding the pump? Do you have the intake/exit lines from the pump hooked up backwards maybe?
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue Reply with quote

I got it, and yes, exactly it. I put some gas in a bottle and a little in the carb to start it. Figured if it ran off the bottle it was my line, if not, it was my pump. The inlet hose was blowing bubbles into my bottle. Swapped hoses, ran fine. The suspension is terrible, the brakes are just about non existent and I may or may not have heard my wheel bearings screaming in anger... but IT RUNS!
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue Reply with quote

mfemenel wrote:
I got it, and yes, exactly it. I put some gas in a bottle and a little in the carb to start it. Figured if it ran off the bottle it was my line, if not, it was my pump. The inlet hose was blowing bubbles into my bottle. Swapped hoses, ran fine. The suspension is terrible, the brakes are just about non existent and I may or may not have heard my wheel bearings screaming in anger... but IT RUNS!

That's awesome man..congrats..now, about them brakes Wink
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue Reply with quote

Front pads and rotors are in the garage waiting for me. Tomorrows project. For tonight I'm having a beer and watching a movie with the kids. I'll finally get a good nights sleep tonight. Oh and I'll also be fixing my seat so I can actually move it back and not have my knees in my chest.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue Reply with quote

Tomorrows project. For tonight I'm having a beer and watching a movie with the kids.
Got to love those encouraging productive Sundays! Here's to many more to come..keep us posted
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Issue Reply with quote

All right, brakes and rotors and front bearings done. I hadn't planned on doing bearings but when I pulled those front rotors and everything else fell out like a vegas slot machine I decided I may as well do bearings as well. The rental presser from O'Reilly said to use a mallet and I banged the heck out of things for a while until I realized I should switch to hammer. Magic. Now it's time to play what's that knocking when I turn right.. I'll start a different thread. At least we run and stop now. Much better than where I started Thursday night.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: