Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
The Flying Scotsman retired? Wow, that's sad. I saw it in NYC as a boy when it visited the USA. I bought a Bassett-Lowke hard-cover catalog from the traveling shop housed in one of the coaches accompanying the train.

I saw it around 1968 just before it went to the U.S. and remember taking pictures with the only camera I owned at the time, a Kodak Brownie 127 (Google it Wink ) I can't find the negatives otherwise I would have scanned them and added them to the topic.

Incidentally the late Frank Saarni, Betty the previous owner's husband was a great railroad enthusiast. Betty told me he left two locomotives to the Sacramento Railroad Museum.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by John Moxon on Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

i have a similar interest in capturing a photo of my ghia next to a train. i have tried several times at railroad crossings when a train is going by, and here in el paso i drive a long a stretch of road that has the border fence on one side and union pacific railroad on the other, its a great stretch of road, and i want to capture it before things completely change down here. love these photos john, very cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
i have a similar interest in capturing a photo of my ghia next to a train. i have tried several times at railroad crossings when a train is going by, and here in el paso i drive a long a stretch of road that has the border fence on one side and union pacific railroad on the other, its a great stretch of road, and i want to capture it before things completely change down here. love these photos john, very cool.

The long stretch of road with the track running alongside is your best bet John...that way you're not holding up traffic and you can take it as a leisurely pace.

The Flying Scotsman is coming back tomorrow and it will be the last time I get the chance to take it at my # 1 favoured spot. I'm just praying there's no media coverage as all the ballyhoo last week ensured grid lock everywhere around the railway lines, with very few clear shots of the train.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Don't worry. I'm already using your photos as the desktop on the PC at work. So far my peers have commented on your lovely the car looks.

Hmmm. Now I can agree with that!

N
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Today was the final chance to put everything in place. After this season's enthusiast outings the Flying Scotsman will be retired to the National Railway Museum in York.

After abandoning last weeks attempt to take pictures here at my #1 chosen spot due to crowds of people I had one last chance. The Flying Scotsman was to repeat last week's route, this time with no media attention, which meant no crowds of people to get in the way.

It turned out well, pretty well as I imagined the picture when I first heard the loco was paying us a visit. Smile

A colour one for "KG Coupe"...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and a black & white one for me. Wink

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Beautiful pic, John.

I liked the Flying Scotsman more without the smoke deflectors.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Beautiful pic, John.

I liked the Flying Scotsman more without the smoke deflectors.

Yes this recent restoration is to it's last British Rail spec up to when it was withdrawn from general service in 1963. They are German style smoke deflectors.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

OK, now I realize why no "4472" or "LNER".

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
OK, now I realize why no "4472" or "LNER".

http://www.flyingscotsman.org.uk/about/
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Last of the Flying Scotsman is a bit of period style fun...

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Today was the final chance to put everything in place. After this season's enthusiast outings the Flying Scotsman will be retired to the National Railway Museum in York.

Very Happy Why Thank You - it's Beautiful!

Any chance you could try just one more time in a place where the fence is all the same colour?

Wink

Laughing
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

Any chance you could try just one more time in a place where the fence is all the same colour?

Wink

Laughing

I don't see why not...I'll get the National Railway Museum's email address and you can ask them to bring the loco back so we can sort that for you. Smile
Gnasha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Nice car John, looks really good in black good choice Cool
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Gnasha wrote:
Nice car John, looks really good in black good choice Cool

Thanks John, I can't claim to have chosen the colour...the car chose me Wink
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Making the most of the good September weather...the dog and I went for a drive this afternoon. Lee Park Farm, Romsey U.K.

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

...and black & white for me Smile

thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Gorgeous shot. Doesn't even look real! Thanks for sharing.
By the way, I think I still owe you a shot of my car down in front of San Xavier Mission. One of these days...

John Moxon wrote:

After abandoning last weeks attempt to take pictures here at my #1 chosen spot due to crowds of people I had one last chance. The Flying Scotsman was to repeat last week's route, this time with no media attention, which meant no crowds of people to get in the way.

It turned out well, pretty well as I imagined the picture when I first heard the loco was paying us a visit. Smile

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

thruhiker74 wrote:
Gorgeous shot. Doesn't even look real! Thanks for sharing.
By the way, I think I still owe you a shot of my car down in front of San Xavier Mission. One of these days...

Yes it's funny you should say it doesn't look real because I was tortured by trying to decide to either use a slowish shutter speed to show some motion blur or a fast shutter speed to freeze everything and capture as much detail as possible. Because this was the last time it would be in this location (now retired in the National Railway Museum) I decided to freeze it. The shutter speed was 1250th of a sec and the train was doing around 30mph...slowing down for the junction 1/4 mile away. Sometimes you have to make compromises. Wink

Ah San Xavier and the Ghia would be nice. Smile
corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Great photo op. Well done.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

corythosaurus wrote:

Great photo op. Well done.

Thanks...it would be negligent of me at this point not to point out you can buy this picture as a poster sized photograph: http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/johns-posters.htm Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 46

Jump to: