Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flat Cam???
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72squareguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me the symptoms of a flat cam? What happens??
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

Valves don't open.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72squareguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Valves don't open.

Well yeah but how would it start running? I know itll run like crap but I'm trying to be specific.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

It will only run on 2 cylinders.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

Easiest way to see if a cam is going flat is to do a valve adjustment.

brad
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

Yeah, they start knocking and you wind up with like a 1/4" of valve to lifter clearance. They loose a lot of power but will keep running. It happens when you run an engine that's been sitting a while and has gotten water in the oil that rust out the cam. It will be fine for a while then ware down very quickly. Not too big a deal just a rebuild with new cam and lifters.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sat May 28, 2016 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

The valves on that lobe don't lift as far as before
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

The engine will sound horrible and shake more.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

As already mentioned, regular valve adjustments will tell the tail. Keep a record or how much take up you do at each valve adjustment. When you notice you have to take up more and more last, you know the valve gain is wearing badly, and it is most likely the cam/lifters. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

You'll also have a gray metallic smear in the oil.

Your magnetic oil drain plug will attract some of that smear.

A rebuild will require drilling the oil galleys and a new oil cooler to clean out the crap!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

As mentioned above, you will get too much valve clearance. However, what was not mentioned is that it will occur on the two opposing cylinders at the same time. 1 & 3, or 2 & 4 since they share the same lobes. However, the two sides may still have different clearances. This is because as the cam start to go flat, it usually takes the lifters with it. So you can have more valve lash on 1 than 3. That is because the #1 lifter has worn more then the #3. I have seen this clearance grow to such a point, that the pushrod actually falls out of the rocker arm.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

Also, as a lifter is going away the grit is going through the rest of the engine and chewing up all the bearing surfaces.

This is a good reason to run a filter.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

Actually, it doesn't shake and run as bad a you think until the cam goes almost to a circle. True story:

Back before I joined the Samba (pre 2006), I had a very important meeting in Los Angles. I live in the Central Valley (elevation 0), to get to LA you have to drive 300 mile and through the Grapevine. The Grapevine is a very serious mountain range, where the elevation changes over 4000' in a very short time. If you want to test your engine this is the place. At the time, I was running a 2010 in my DD that had about 20K miles on the engine.

I hit the steepest part of the grade, and opened her up (I love passing new cars). 3/4 of the way up, I start loosing power (look at gauges - OK). Head for the nearest off ramp, and as soon as I got on the off ramp, lost a cylinder. Pulled into a parking lot, started checking things over - no external problems, started cranking the engine and heard a weird noise. The first think that popped into my head - Broken push rod. Pulled 3/4 valve cover and the #4 intake pushrod was out of the rocker arm.

I blamed it on myself, screwed up during last valve adjustment. Connected everything back together, adjusted valve lash by feel and made it to my meeting. It was a 3 day meeting, and I explored LA every night after the meetings, then time to head home. This time I never made it to the grapevine before loosing power. Pulled over popped off 3/4 again, no problem. Popped off 1/2 valve cover, #2 intake way loose. Adjusted it by feel, then drove the 300 mile home.

Once I got home time to diagnose the problem. Even though I had building VW engines for 20 years, at this point in time I was out of the social media. No Hot VWs, no Internet, did not know about the ZDDP issues. After thinking what was the commonality between 2 & 4, I thought cam. Pulled off a rocker cover and didn't need a dial indicator to see that the lift was way off. The ironic part was with all of this going on, the engine was not running that bad, no shaking, and seemed to drive fine. I wasn't pushing it though, because I suspected something was amiss.

Here is a picture of #4 intake lifter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

Can you send that lifter to me? I need a new salsa bowl Shocked
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Cam??? Reply with quote

I had an engine I built in the late 80s (1776) and the engine seemed a lot more sluggish 60k mi later.

I tore it down, and found the W110 cam was lifting the valves around .150".

Laughing

Everything looked great, but the lobes were a fraction of their proper size.

The engine ran very smooth and quiet, just way down on power.

Not all "flat cam" situations are catastrophic.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: