Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn)
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

My parents bought a new '66 Beetle. At the time, the Gov. had VW disable the headlight flashing (silent horn) feature for U.S. bound cars when VW put the dimmer switch on the turn signal stalk. Has anyone found a way to restore the feature? Is there a European turn signal stalk dimmer switch that can be swapped?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

Never heard of that, a governor having any sort of authority. Sound like some wires are probably just disconnected. Here's a wiring diagram for the '66 that shows the dimmer and associated wiring to the headlamps.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/Beetle_1966_Clymers.jpg

Maybe the turn signal is kaput. Plenty in the classifieds

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant the US Government. The way they mandated a different type of headlights and so forth. I was thinking back to 1966 when the car was new. On European bugs, you could use the dimmer switch to "flash" your high beams when the headlights were off, or have them come on for as long as you held the switch in, besides the regular high beam dimming function. Hence, the term "silent horn". By pressing the switch when the headlights were turned off, you could still activate the high beams. I gues the law was changed later because my 1984 BMW had this function (pull the stalk to flash with headlights off and push it down to activate the high beams when the headlights were on).

Thanks for the link to the diagram.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

Oh! I didn't know that. I thought driving lights were a european thing and folks just flashed their brights to pass. If you're handy with electrics, and could find them, maybe you could install a european relay that kept the dimmer hot/independent of the light switch or, perhaps, you'd need a euro light switch too. Although, I see no euro/us designation on any switches or relays in the classifieds. Maybe someone else can offer a better answer.
Cheers!
Mike
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

Your link was very helpful. I went to the Samba wiring diagram archives, and the Non-USA Beetles had a "Combi relay for headlight flashing and dimming" J2 while US models have J2 as "Dimmer relay". More wires on the non-USA relay.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

The only difference is that on Euro cars, relay terminal 30 goes where it should-- to "always hot" power; on USA models, they jumpered terminal 30 to terminal 56 of the relay, which only has power when the headlights are on.

This is from the Type 3 forum but the relay is wired the same:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341307

See the jumper from 56 to 30 below? Remove the jumper, run a new wire 30, and presto. Just make sure it is a thick enough wire to handle the load of both left and right headlights at once.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

That looks pretty easy, thanks.
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

The addition of a powered Hi/Low relay was covered here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7851495&highlight=#7851495
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

Thanks; all of the information that everyone has offered is very helpful. I'm buying a nice '67, but I don't have it yet. This will be something to play around with when i get it. I'm guessing the newer bugs, '72-ish, had a turn signal switch that you could pull toward you to flash and push down to turn on the high beams.
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

You can do it with a 67. You just need the powered Hi/Low relay mentioned in the other post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

I'll do that; thanks again.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

Rickles wrote:
Thanks; all of the information that everyone has offered is very helpful. I'm buying a nice '67, but I don't have it yet. This will be something to play around with when i get it. I'm guessing the newer bugs, '72-ish, had a turn signal switch that you could pull toward you to flash and push down to turn on the high beams.

I don't think they ever worked that way. You pulled it toward you to either flash (if headlights were off) or to alternate between high and low beams.

The stalk just made momentary contact which flipped an oscillating relay to either high or low position with each press.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

Do you still have the switch on the turn signal arm?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1799658

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Rickles wrote:

I don't think they ever worked that way. You pulled it toward you to either flash (if headlights were off) or to alternate between high and low beams.

The stalk just made momentary contact which flipped an oscillating relay to either high or low position with each press.

Thanks, I was just guessing based on a BMW I once owned.
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Do you still have the switch on the turn signal arm?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1799658

Yes, switch is fine. Thanks.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

I have learned something new finally here- "silent horn"!

I didn't realize I've been using one for years- favoring it as a friendly(er) reminder on my M/C. My Volvo may as well be stuck in silent horn mode all the time- my morning commute involve 1000s of idiots. I'm always flashing to get the doofi out of the fast lane driving at the posted limit.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I have learned something new finally here- "silent horn"!

I didn't realize I've been using one for years- favoring it as a friendly(er) reminder on my M/C. My Volvo may as well be stuck in silent horn mode all the time- my morning commute involve 1000s of idiots. I'm always flashing to get the doofi out of the fast lane driving at the posted limit.

I liked that too, learning and stuff. I have heard this referred to as autobahning, but couldn't find any mention of that term on the cave walls (google). Silent horn is nice, now to build a bigger motor to necessitate the need for a silent horn.

Really glad you found what you were looking for Rickles.

Cheers!
Mike
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

I certainly appreciate everyone's help, thanks.
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '66-'67 Headlight "Flashing" (silent horn) Reply with quote

I finally replaced the flasher relay this afternoon. Very easy; so cool to have my "silent horn" working. Thanks for all the help and to everyone that replied. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: