Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6v generator cooling fan set up?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
concepts12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: 6v generator cooling fan set up? Reply with quote

I got this great generator off of eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Generator-12Volts-GR11X...PhgTiJj-3w

It's 12v but its the size of an earlier VW 6v. Really a great find

Im having trouble figuring out the orientation of all the parts. I've got this nice diagram but it don't show all the 6v parts

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's missing this part

Where dos it go?
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 6v generator cooling fan set up? Reply with quote

That piece secures the fan shield to the generator.
Mike
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 6v generator cooling fan set up? Reply with quote

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
concepts12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v generator cooling fan set up? Reply with quote

Hey thanks guy
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v generator cooling fan set up? Reply with quote

So do you have a fan with the extra holes for the generator cooling?

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
concepts12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v generator cooling fan set up? Reply with quote

I do

thanks glutamodo
concepts12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v generator cooling fan set up? Reply with quote

Also shown in the diagram above is a dust cover. Do you know, off hand, where I can pick one up? The engine I have will be driving a Dunebuggy. It would be nice to keep the generator clean on the inside. Would this cover effect the cooling of the generator?
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 6v generator cooling fan set up? Reply with quote

I bought a new generator for my bus and it came with those dust covers , but I thought it was just a shipping item and thru one away. duh ?... anyway wolfburg west has them listed.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113903531
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 6v generator cooling fan set up? Reply with quote

That dust cover won't work... it's for a 105mm diameter generator and he's got a 90mm diameter unit.

edit: I've seen them before, but I suspect they were aftermarket? I just thought I'd look and see if there was a VW part number for a brush cover and I'm not seeing one for 90mm units. Not in the diagram or the parts list.

The Fall 1971 parts book mentions one for 105mm generators under a type 181 part number ("Cover Band - Generator" 181903197)

Porsche used a cover band on 90mm generators on 356 models - but those are expensive. probably wouldn't be too hard to make one out of sheet metal anyway.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: