Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help anybody oil strainer cover oil leak
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaupu714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Help anybody oil strainer cover oil leak Reply with quote

1979 super beetle. I replaced the old strainer cover with a new oil strainer cover, replaced all the studs going into the engine block and used new gaskets. I replaced the cap nuts with regular nuts and washers. Finally, tightened the nuts and allowed the gaskets to expand and re-tightened the nuts.

It still leaks!!!!!! Is there anything more that i can do???

Thanks for any help
Mark
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help anybody oil strainer cover oil leak Reply with quote

kaupu714 wrote:
I replaced the cap nuts with regular nuts and washers.

This is your problem. The oil can leak along the length of the threads and out the end of the nut. That's why VW used a cap nut.
Then the washers are more trouble. Steel washers are too hard and will not conform to any irregularity in the surface. You need soft copper washers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaupu714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help anybody oil strainer cover oil leak Reply with quote

Thanks makes sense.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help anybody oil strainer cover oil leak Reply with quote

And DON'T OVERTIGHTEN !!! Then you'll be posting about how you broke a stud or stripped the case threads.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help anybody oil strainer cover oil leak Reply with quote

6ft/lbs. Cap nuts and OG sump plate. All bets are off if the sump plate is chrome...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help anybody oil strainer cover oil leak Reply with quote

The spec is 5 ft-lbs.
On my current driver, I used a new genuine VW sump plate without the plug in the middle (a source of leaks I don't need) and a genuine VW oil seal kit.

Whatever seal kit you use, you must check the "copper" washers with a magnet. The copper plated steel washers that are so common don't seal.

Spend time going around the nuts with the torque wrench until they don't move. Then repeat a few days later.

Right now my sump plate is completely DRY. Not one single drip has happened since the plate was installed.

I have noticed that even when limiting the torque to 5 ft-lbs, sometimes the holes around the plate get distorted. Sometimes not. I suspect my torque wrench is not accurate enough at that low setting.
kaupu714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help anybody oil strainer cover oil leak Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,

I checked my copper washers and i have the copper plated steel washers. Where do you purchase your seal kit?

Thanks,
Mark
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help anybody oil strainer cover oil leak Reply with quote

kaupu714 wrote:
Hi Bruce,

I checked my copper washers and i have the copper plated steel washers. Where do you purchase your seal kit?

Thanks,
Mark

WTF Is copper becoming that rare of an element?
Have you tried Pierside parts in HB? They are in your city.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help anybody oil strainer cover oil leak Reply with quote

Copper is more expensive than steel
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help anybody oil strainer cover oil leak Reply with quote

These Fel-Pro "OS21625" gasket sets are the best I've ever used:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These high quality gaskets come with nice real copper washers, so there's no need to strongarm those M6 nuts.
Lots of places sell these; here's one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-os21625?seid=srese1&gclid=CKyO4tDUgs0CFRIbgQodiBwKmA

Confirm that your drain plate is flat. Often, due to over tightening, the holes get distorted (cupped). They can be hammered flat with a little care.
Those aftermarket "billet" drain plates are a good way to prevent this. Mine is re-threaded 1/2" NPT for the drain plug.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help anybody oil strainer cover oil leak Reply with quote

kaupu714 wrote:
Hi Bruce,

Look up Samba user: Antonio Trejo
He's in Mexico City and sells genuine VW parts. Look at his ads to see what else you need.
The genuine VW oil change gaskets I have are sold in Mexico, but they say they're made in Germany.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help anybody oil strainer cover oil leak Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113198031SI

I was fighting slightly leaking sump plates for too long. I finally got a tip about this kit, installed it and now all three of my VW's have them installed. None of them leak anymore.

To Bruce's point, you do need to retorque them a day or two after you install the kit.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: