Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Well I buy mine from O'Rielly life time warranty. Buy them once and don't look back. They do not like it when I walk in the store and have a part in hand. First one lasted a week the one I have now is two year old.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Gonna have to agree with Ken here. I bought a BMW a couple of years ago and one of the maintenance tasks is flush the brake fluid every two years. I thought, "What?" Then I looked in my '64 owners manual and behold:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Perhaps a stupid question but should you flush before or after changing out the switch? Would flushing possible loosen or dislodge something within the switch to possibly make it start working again? I will say I have very nice pressure at the pedal and the car stops very well. I could easily lock the brakes up if needed.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Try a Standard SLS33. I`ve had good luck selling them in the past. Everything else has been coming back.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

I would flush, change the bad switch and then bleed. The fluid change the dealer used to do was done with a pressurized tank bleeder and made it an easy job. You want your fluid to be just as clear coming out as going in. Not black.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

[quote="glutamodo"]Sorry to hear that one of the better switches went bad.

I don't think anyone sells the Mera brand any more, which I think were very good switches.

In stock.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/667232.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/667233.jpg
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

excellent! The only other place I remember selling those was OEVeedub and when they went away I thought I'd never see them again.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Slight topic detour... but applicable...

flyboy161 wrote:
" Then I looked in my '64 owners manual and behold:

IMO
5 years is WAY too long.. for Dot 3 - 4 (and this new 5.1)
Its not only the moisture content levels.. its also the drop in the boiling point..
The boiling point is generally not an issue on these old German tin cans.. but .. the moisture content degrades the system..

Better safe than sorry, $10 bucks and a half hour is cheap insurance every couple of years...

BUY quality fluid..

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Lot of us have been down this road... with no brakes or inferior parts.

One thing I've had to start doing over the years... clean "New" master and wheel cylinders BEFORE installation.
I know that sounds "Nutty" Wink

I buy most parts locally. Easy to find, no shipping, and has a warranty. Yes some of the quality is low...
For brake parts I try to buy Napa, Beck Arnley, or TRW when I can but sometimes.... cheap out.
Somewhere in the ....inexpensive (and expensive) brand brake manufacturing process, 2 things are lacking. 1 bore surface and 2 bore cleanliness.

When I disassemble new units I have found semi rough honed bores along with a gritty feeling. Occasionally rust..
Clean, lightly re hone, clean everything, assemble and lube with quality brake fluid. THAT"S IMPORTANT. Not all brake fluids are considered equal. Buy good name brand fluid.. I usually use GM brake fluid ... but recently tried some Kia fluid that had completely different smell and texture.. Almost oil like and yet still 100% DOT 3. Needless to say it lubed up the cylinders and cups very well. Castrol LMA brake fluid has proven to be good fluid as well.

After I started my pre cleaning 15-20 years ago.. I've yet to have an issue with new cylinders, failures and the inability to simply bleed.... . Before that.. I wasted lots of gas getting bad new parts swapped out..

FLUSH BRAKE FLUID EVERY 2 YEARS... Period..

flyboy161 wrote:
I would flush, change the bad switch and then bleed. The fluid change the dealer used to do was done with a pressurized tank bleeder and made it an easy job. You want your fluid to be just as clear coming out as going in. Not black.

Thats is a great approach ..works well.. ensures clean fluid is at the new switch.. but does create some extra work..

In the event a switch must be changed....
I start with clearing all the fluid I can from the reservoir...
Use a cheap turkey baster and clean it well afterwards for future use.. DO NOT use the one from your kitchen.. .. trust me on that one..

If you are feeling REALLY OCD.. remove the reservoir.. and clean with ISO 99 or spray brake cleaner and dry.

Change the switch allowing it to drip fluid a little keeping an eye on the reservoir, install the new switch or switches.. then proceed with the single pump, and push exchange method..

Bleeder advice.

A pressurized bleeder can be made with an extra reservoir car, a fitting.. and a cheap tank pressure garden sprayer..
The reservoir just needs a very light amount of pressure to assist the bleeding process.

Vacuum bleeders work but.. at times on drum brakes and wheel cylinders a vacuum bleeder can draw actually air by collapsing the cup seal.. More so if the system has a restriction like at the brake hoses.. Also vacuum bleeders can pull the cups all the way inward and IF the cylinders have issues can actually cause damage and a leak..

By myself.. I sometimes use a high (light) vacuum bleeder..BUT.. I am also slowly pumping the pedal to assist the exchange..

Lots of methods out there..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

For anyone caring, the bad switch in question was an FTE. I looked for a datecode marking on the part, but only thing I saw was 205, so not sure if that's a part number or datecode? Either way, brake lights work using a NAPA switch. Unfortunately, due to time restraints and the lack of a helper, I wasn't able to actually flush the brakes. Swapped the switch, drove it around a little and the brakes are fine and lights are working. I purchased and extra switch that I may swap out when I get a chance to actually bleed and flush the system. Does look like it needs it as I can see some potential crud in the reservoir and the color is a bit more orangy/yellowy than the clear stuff I put in. Needs it, but for right now a lick and a prayer is going to have to work to get it so it can be driven.

Also, for anyone that cares, I did get an offer from Antonio for the Mera switches. Unfortunately, the shipping costs were a bit out of line for shipping from Mexico IMO so I had to pass, but maybe someone would be willing to sub distribute or get a group buy together to offset the shipping?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

[quote="Antonio Trejo"]
glutamodo wrote:
Sorry to hear that one of the better switches went bad.

I don't think anyone sells the Mera brand any more, which I think were very good switches.

In stock.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/667232.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/667233.jpg

Are these switches 3 prong or two? I can't tell in the pictures.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

I'm also an advocate of flushing the brake fluid every couple of years. As mentioned, it doesn't cost much in brake fluid and does only take 30 minutes. I built a hand power bleeder for around $25 bucks though they sell nice ones for $60.

I'm always amazed at how dark and nasty the brake fluid is after only a couple of years. I suffered some wheel cylinder failures in that they leaked. Taking them apart, they were rusty inside. This was before I started flushing the fluid regularly.

I buy good, German made brake parts that are not cheap these days. I want them to last as long as possible and flushing the fluid is cheap insurance.

Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Do you have a parts list or description of what you used? I think I get what you're doing, which is pressurizing the brake reservoir while you bleed them?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

flyboy161 wrote:
Gonna have to agree with Ken here. I bought a BMW a couple of years ago and one of the maintenance tasks is flush the brake fluid every two years. I thought, "What?" Then I looked in my '64 owners manual and behold:

And in the '71 Type 3 manual (among others), VW shortened this to as often as once a year:

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
flyboy161 wrote:
Gonna have to agree with Ken here.

And in the '71 Type 3 manual (among others), VW shortened this to as often as once a year:
]

I guess VW wised up.. at one point..

I used a $9 pump sprayer, an extra reservoir cap with a barbed fitting screwed into a drilled hole..
Simply push the sprayer hose on the fitting and pump.

It only needs a little pressure difference to do the job..
I only use pumped up air in the sprayer.. and add fluid to the reservoir as it gets low and re pump.. That way no fluid is in the sprayer..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Do you have a parts list or description of what you used? I think I get what you're doing, which is pressurizing the brake reservoir while you bleed them?

I'll copy and paste my answer to a PM-

Yup.. it's a $12 dollar hand pump weed sprayer. I drilled a hole into it for the PSI gauge that cost $7-10 bucks. I simply screwed the gauge into the side of the bottle. The end that screws into the reservoir is actually a cap from a quart bottle of engine oil. I made a cork gasket that fits inside the cap to seal the air from leaking out.

Here's how I use it-

I have an old turkey baster. I suck up as much of the old brake fluid as I can out of the reservoir. I then top it off w/new brake fluid. I screw the hose from pump onto the reservoir.

I pump up the hand pump to around 10psi. I then start at the RR and crack the bleeder with a clear hose fitted over the small bleeder screw that runs the old brake fluid into a clear bottle. I let it run until I get clean brake fluid out of it. On this long run, I'll close the bleeder once and pump the hand pump back up untill I get 10PSI again. I repeat these steps hitting one corner of the car at a time. Again, I often check the brake fluid reservoir level and pressure on the pump as I go through all 4 corners. I don't put nor need any fluid in the hand pump. It really doesn't use that much new brake fluid to flush out the old. I think I only re-top off the reservoir as I'm bleeding all four corners once or twice.

As I mentioned in that thread, it really only takes 30 minutes to do all four corners. I usually jack up the bug and put it on jack stands for ease of getting under the car to the bleeders. I'm getting too old to crawl and reach for the darn things! lol

I hope this helps!

Bill

You can probably buy everything needed at Wal-mart as well. I bought my items from Ace Hardware.

Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks. Sounds easy enough.
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

I found VW branded 2 prong switches at ECS Tuning:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/113945515H/ES1358996/
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Hi. I have been a victim of the shit brake lite switches. My parts supplier was selling me these EuroMax switches with the local distributor placing their decal over the "made in china" writing. WTF!
I recognized this problem with the 2 prong/3 prong brake switches and subsequently bought the 356 Porsche switch from Pelican Parts, in the Los Angeles area. The part number is 901-613-401-00. They offer the ATE brand for $15 and the genuine Porsche brand for $24. I bought the ATE switches. The application is for the 356 cars, 1956-1956. This switch is a bit different as the threads are not tapered but straight at 10mm x 1.0mm, with a crushable washer/gasket. I installed the 2 prong switchs, with a minor wiring mod.
To this date I have been happy with this. No leaks at the switch/gasket and pedal effort to illuminate the stop lites is adequate.
I know there are a number of retailers selling switches which tend to alleviate this quality problem with the Chinese crap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: