Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odometer Gears
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1968KdFWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Odometer Gears Reply with quote

So I have taken my speedometer apart and I am looking to reset the mileage, but I cannot pull the shaft that the odometer gears ride on. I may not be pulling hard enough, I am just worried that I will break something. This is my car's original speedometer and since it's a one year only speedometer I would rather not have to replace it.

Here is the gear I am talking about:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and here is mine:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, and expecting a different result."

1968 Type 1 - Royal Red --- Built: September, 1967
1600 Single Port Engine - F1950480 (VW Exchange) Made January 16th, 1970
113-905-205K
30 PICT-1
Fahrgest.-Nr. 118096544
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer Gears Reply with quote

Well, the ends are peened to prevent that spindle from working loose on its own. You might have to "un-peen" one end slightly to get it out.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Gears Reply with quote

I did both of mine. Just be very careful and try not to take any gears off the shaft. Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: