Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Speedometer?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnydollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: 1968 Speedometer? Reply with quote

I understand '68 had a one year only speedometer.
The one on the left is what I think is for a '68, but it does not match the one in the '68 I'm working on. Of course, the installed speedo in the pic could've been changed at some point as someone has done some modifications to the dash.
Which one is correct for '68?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/b]
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Speedometer? Reply with quote

there should be a date stamped on the rear telling you month/year, something like "8/67" or "11/68" that will tell you. all my VW's have had a date stamped on the back of the speedo.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Speedometer? Reply with quote

The left one is 68. pretty face with fuel gauge. Installed one is 70 or later, I say that only because my old 69 had a chrome center ring where that one is white painted, and 69 didn't have 10th's of miles either. One other thing! oil light in the 68 is green!!

Another thing, the "R" in the 68 fuel gauge would have been a white arrow looking mark, not the red as in the 70's speedo pictured.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Speedometer? Reply with quote

Here's my factory-installed date-stamped '68 Beetle speedometer that has never been removed from the dash:

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Speedometer? Reply with quote

Marked 5-68

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Speedometer? Reply with quote

1969 did have a tenths dial, after chassis number 119474781 (Jan 1st 1969)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Speedometer? Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
1969 did have a tenths dial, after chassis number 119474781 (Jan 1st 1969)

Interesting, and thanks for the information, see pic of my 69 speedo face. i wonder if the chrome ring went away at the same time as 10th's showed up? It is actually 3 pieces sandwiched, the center smaller ring acting as sort of a rivet holding them together. This is from my first bug, aquired in the 80's, speedo went into at least 2 other cars since, it died before I knew any better to rebuild but I did save the face as a wall ornament!!

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Speedometer? Reply with quote

I'm sure you're right that it changed along with the 10ths digit. I have a 3/69 speedo head here with the white line.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
nbuscemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Speedometer? Reply with quote

To the OP, my 1968 Bug has the same speedo as the one on the left. Integrated fuel gauge with the lines between the numbers.

-Nick-
johnnydollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Speedometer? Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Great information here!
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Speedometer? Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I'm sure you're right that it changed along with the 10ths digit. I have a 3/69 speedo head here with the white line.

I have a 1970 Beetle built in January of 1970 that has a speedometer dated 10/69 that has both the chrome trim ring around the fuel gauge and the 10ths digit!
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: