Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Protecting cleaned and blasted metal
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Protecting cleaned and blasted metal Reply with quote

I am looking for a way to protect metal - both the body and random pieces - after I either media blast the small parts or mechanically clean the larger parts.

Have to keep in mind this restoration will likely take a couple years so parts will sit in this coating for a while. And being WV, the parts will be stored in a relatively humid environment. I have a dehumidifier running but its an uphill battle…

I am leaning towards a metal prep (looking at one from Eastwood) and then a self-etching primer. I have read many opinions on a number of sites - epoxy versus self-etching. I am willing to regrind the coating prior to welding or body filler if that is important.

As always open to any opinions and recommendations.
Thanks,
Matt
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Protecting cleaned and blasted metal Reply with quote

I can tell you that etching primer is best for bare metal finish. I don't think there is anything else that will last months let alone years in a humidity.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Protecting cleaned and blasted metal Reply with quote

i used DP50 epoxy primer
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cleaned and blasted metal Reply with quote

in Australia we have a product called Bonderite M-ZN 253 (previously known as Kephos or Paintgrip 253). It is made by Henkel and is a solvent that you spray onto clean bare metal and it produces a thin coating that prevents rusting and you can paint over it.

I apply it using a household trigger spray after using another Henkel product called Bonderite C IC 624 (previously known as Deoxidine 624) which you apply using a scotchbrite to remove surface rust.

These exact product names don't seem to be sold in the US but Henkel do sell Bonderite solvents in the US so they should be able to tell you the US equivalent.

These are excellent products and are perfect for what you want it for.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cleaned and blasted metal Reply with quote

If it is indoors then the metal prep will be enough. But having used both I vastly prefer Ospho which is sold for $24 a gallon in my local ACE hardware. It is stronger and doesn't leave a brown color. turns bare steel a dull gray and light surface rust black. If you are really worried then a coat of epoxy primer will make it so you won't have a problem even 10 years later. Acid etch primer is not used too much anymore. mostly on just small areas. It will work, but I don't think it is your best solution.
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting cleaned and blasted metal Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The car will remain indoors so I'll start with the metal prep and see how that goes.
Since this will likely go slowly, the metal prep could give me opportunity to get a lot cleaned up and then epoxy prime more at once - maybe the whole body...
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Protecting cleaned and blasted metal Reply with quote

If you're gonna use a solvent, use etching primer. Epoxy doesnt like anything on the metal. If you do make sure to surgically clean it. A bit of heat will help, it releases the solvents. Best would be clean small area then epoxy. Its waterproof and you can put the filler on top.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: