Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dietz Headlight Question?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Dietz Headlight Question? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm finally getting ready to buy some new headlights for my buggy after I've blew them off for several years. Anyway, I 'm hoping one of you guys out there can give me some info on a set from Speedway.

I'm looking to get some gloss black powder coated ones [Dietz if possible] and the one on the link [below]don't actually give hardly any info about them and talking to Speedway on the phone was no better.

I asked a question on the Q & A [ the third one] and he said painted gloss but I think he may be wrong and they actually might be powder coated. I was hoping that a knowledgeable employee would answer like on some other questions I'd read, but no such luck.

I'm hoping someone out there knows one way or another. Paint or powder coat? The picture on the link sure make them look flat.

Thanks

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Black-Dietz-Type-Headlights-Halogen-Bulb,35748.html
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Dietz Headlight Question? Reply with quote

The video that is also part of that link also states that they are painted black, and in the video they appear to either be glossy or semi gloss, but there may be a mesh-type filter between the headlight and the studio light to soften the reflection. I have had the stainless steel version for 10 years; I wipe them down occasionally with Windex just to get off the grime and the bugs.

My headlights came separate from the bulbs, so if Speedway Motors has a return/refund policy, what harm could it be to order them to see if you are happy with the results? If no one else chimes in from having actually purchased this exact set, that may be the way to go. And also just to clarify, Speedway Motors does advertise these as being Deitz-type; they do not claim that they are actually the Deitz brand.

Maybe this photo of the headlights can help sway your decision:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Dietz Headlight Question? Reply with quote

If they're painted, easy enough to get the shells powder coated whatever color you want after purchasing. I've had good luck with Speedway parts - never disappointed and generally some of the best prices around. Only drawback I can see is you'll start getting their 1/2 dozen of so catalogs about every 3 months!
Jeff
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Dietz Headlight Question? Reply with quote

Gary
Awesome highbeams yes but....
It's not the stainless headlights that impressed me most in your picture! Shocked
I bet they were expensive, or would be after your wife caught up to you!

(With way more projects than spare time!)

Last edited by hillmotorsports on Sat May 28, 2016 7:38 am; edited 2 times in total
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dietz Headlight Question? Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
Gary
It's not the stainless headlights that impressed me most in your picture! Shocked

there is headlights in that picture??????
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dietz Headlight Question? Reply with quote

I see three pairs of headlights........ Wink

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dietz Headlight Question? Reply with quote

Headlights are headlights, my friends; we all know that they can come in many shapes and sizes.

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dietz Headlight Question? Reply with quote

Dietz sold their assets in 1990 and closed their last plant in 92.

If you're trying to restore a Meyers Manx and want American made Dietz 820 or 9-82 headlights, you'll need to find a used or possibly an NOS pair. Its easier to find a good used set of Dietz 820s than it is to find a pair of the cast steel bases. The bases have an upper and lower cup. The upper fits the headlight mount and the lower fits the body mount. For the 9-82 s you can use the pressed steel base. Its not a bad idea to fill the pressed steel base with chopped fiberglass and resin (kitty hair) and press it onto the body mount(covered with aluminum foil) to conform to and fit the shape

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dietz-820-Pair-Head-Lights...1963049135

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1805662

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dietz-9-82-Headlig...1867315688

56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dietz Headlight Question? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Gary0302, when I said Dietz I meant Dietz type. Incidentally when I first seen the Dietz styles advertised I almost thought at first they were in fact the real deal as Summit sells real King Bees. Although they're probably not near as good as the older ones, not too mention not made in the USA. They're still an option though.

BL3Manx, thanks for the links but I'm not trying for an old look, I'm more interested in a gloss black PC. I have some gloss black powder coated wheels that are described in most stores as painted when they are in fact powder coated, that's why I was hoping to find someone on here who knows either way. Stores don't always describe their products as they really are and the employees sometimes know even less sadly.

Thanks anyway guys and have a pleasant Memorial day.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dietz Headlight Question? Reply with quote

56 manx wrote:
Anyway, I 'm hoping one of you guys out there can give me some info on a set from Speedway.

I'm looking to get some gloss black powder coated ones [Dietz if possible] and the one on the link [below]don't actually give hardly any info about them and talking to Speedway on the phone was no better.

I'm hoping someone out there knows one way or another. Paint or powder coat? The picture on the link sure make them look flat.

Thanks

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Black-Dietz-Type-Headlights-Halogen-Bulb,35748.html

I run a pair of those exact Speedway Black Dietz knock offs on my Volksrod..

Not gloss... more satin.. and they are just paint..
I used a pair of chromes on my buggy.. Cool
Neither are a bad product for the price...

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Dietz Headlight Question? Reply with quote

5-6 ...other than rubber and fluids, I prefer 60's era parts if available, but if you don't care, and are looking for gloss w/o paying more for coating than the tin, consider 2K clearcoat. I used it once just to see and it worked OK. Not bad, if you don't have access to a decent gun and/or have need for more paint. (I used Amazon's link because it has reviews..)

http://www.amazon.com/Spraymax®-Glamour-Gloss-Aerosol-Usc-3680061/dp/B0043B7UQY

Jim
Manx #2614
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: