Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
nice job ...I noticed something that may save you aggravation in the fiture ;

axle boots should have screws at 10 o'clock or 2 oclock not straight up and down ...they will last longer and leak less .

Thanks for the pointer GP! Someone else was also kind enough to point that out as well. The booties will get flipped to 10 once I change out the long axle tube for shorter ones to eliminate a potential tire rub issue.
'67 Bus / Sundial - '59 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Amazing work
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

GAUGE MOCKUP.

The pod will get trimmed 1 inch at the rear and pushed back for better visibility, or I may go with a double gauge pod instead of triple.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

ENGINE DEPT. DETAIL TODAY.

For the life of me I couldn't get the MSD tin seals to fit so the OEM ones did the trick.

Also stitched in the carbs and laced up the oil breather. There are three oil breather lines tapped into the block, then the fumes from the breather are pulled out thru the exhaust which is why a vacuum gauge is fab'd into the unit.

hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Damn, the paint on that is sick I like og paint on bugs but I'm practically drooling at that Evil or Very Mad
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

hoandtina wrote:
Damn, the paint on that is sick I like og paint on bugs but I'm practically drooling at that Evil or Very Mad

I'll pass the Kudos onto my paint guy. It's a contemporary version of 1954-56 VW Type 1 L227 "Strato Silver". The only difference is this is a 2 stage paint with 10 coats of House Of Kolor "USC01 Kosmic Urethane Show Klear. Aside from being block sanded four times, it was cut and buffed for three days with four different grits of wet sandpaper then five different passes of compounds with various buffing pads (wool & foam) then a polish pass. It still needs to be waxed. Personally I just wanted a $3000 paint job, but my OCD painter fell in love with the bug and hit it out of the park and beyond the parking lot. If anyone wants his info, PM me. He's located in Irvine CA. Anyhow here's a OG 54 Bug with the Strato Silver.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=7833
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Rechromed and installed original rear bumper. The original nuts, bolts and washers were cleaned up and put in the same spot as when it left the factory. Nothing fits like original parts.

jensenflagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

I just picked up on your build. I love the way you respect the history and quality of original bug parts, and incorporate superior technology. Great marriage and wonderful over the top attention to detail. True craftsmanship, obsessive to perfection.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Passenger door alignment worked out ok.

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

The alignment on the driver door still needs some tweaking.

It's starting to take on look like a car.

vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Keep up the awesome work. The paint color that you chose is simply awesome.

I'm not sure I could own a showroom new condition vintage Beetle. I would probably come unglued at the first stone chip on the fresh paint job!
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Keep up the awesome work. The paint color that you chose is simply awesome.

I'm not sure I could own a showroom new condition vintage Beetle. I would probably come unglued at the first stone chip on the fresh paint job!

Thanks for the thumbs up vwnut1. The inevitable stone chip thingie is in the mail for any fresh build. Once it happens, I'll leave it alone and make peace with it. Otherwise there will be another one down the road. BTW: Great thread on your build. Very tastefully done!
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

GAUGE MOCKUP #2.

Still a work in progress. The photo is from driver POV and the mockup is just starting to work. The gauges on the hump will be angled up and filled in so they'll be flush with the driver POV. The tach will get adjusted down a touch so it's balanced between the steering wheel spokes.

FUEL LINE, FUEL FILTER AND FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR INSTALL.

The fuel chain came out ok. The axle boot will get turned to 2:00 in the near future. Thanks GP!

RUNNING BOARDS.

These are from Wolfsburg West with the wide stainless steal trim. They tie in nicely with the SS body trim.

vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

"Thanks for the thumbs up vwnut1. The inevitable stone chip thingie is in the mail for any fresh build. Once it happens, I'll leave it alone and make peace with it. Otherwise there will be another one down the road. BTW: Great thread on your build. Very tastefully done!"

Thanks! Now that your on the home stretch, do you plan on finishing in a couple of weeks to attend The Classic VW show?

Again, I am simply in love with your paint color choice. I have followed tons of build threads here on The Samba and yours is my #1 favorite.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:

Thanks! Now that your on the home stretch, do you plan on finishing in a couple of weeks to attend The Classic VW show?

Again, I am simply in love with your paint color choice. I have followed tons of build threads here on The Samba and yours is my #1 favorite.

Thanks for being a fan and enjoying the build. The list of "to do'z" is to long to compete in "The Classic", but there is a small chance it may be driving by then and I could attend as a "work in progress. Only time will tell. I'm not in a rush.

"Install" list: Wire gauges, windshield, wire radio & speakers, assemble doors, sort out rear tire issue (wheel arch rub), conv. top frame, conv. top wood, dynomat, carpet, door panels, seats, conv top, and finally shake down. My guess is it's 2 1/2 months out at best. Stay tuned....
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

I agree, too much to complete in time for the show.

Your signature lists 16 cars. Are all of these currently in your stable or cars that you have owned in the past?
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
I agree, too much to complete in time for the show.

Your signature lists 16 cars. Are all of these currently in your stable or cars that you have owned in the past?

Only VW's. It's a short list of the ones that have gone through my wheelhouse...... Some are sicker than others, right? "Guilty!" But in a good way... Well most of the time.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

SOME DOOR DETAIL.

Did a quick cleanup on the drivers door latch and assembled the original rechromed drivers door handle.

I like how the door handle guards prevent paint scratches plus they look nice.

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

The way the drivers door handle and door latch went together wasn't to par so it was time for a redo. The screw finishes didn't match exactly and the original door button didn't get rechromed so a new door handle was purchased from WW then the old tumbler was transferred into the nice chrome button. Only the button was only used from the new door handle.

THREE STEP PROCESS:
1) WIRE WHEEL
2) ZINC PLATED
3) POLISHED

REASSEMBLED. (THE PAINT CHIP WILL GET FIXED AFTER THE CAR IS COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED)

ORIGINAL CLOTH AND NEW ANTI RATTLE RUBBER WHICH IS ROUND AND JUST TO LEFT OF THE CLOTH.

STRIKER CLEAN UP.

ZINC PLATED THEN POLISHED.

[/b]
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

cjargo wrote:

The purple tape you places on the edges is a excellent safeguard. Plagiarism is the highest form of flattery. Thanks for that tip. I'll do that around the entire car.

Your project is coming along GREAT .
Now that your almost finished I have a chuckle for you ; That " tape " that you saw on the edges ; It's the purple paint that is on the top half of my " custom spray can paint job Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I hope the extra tape saved you a scratch or two . Laughing great idea though ; I wish I had thought it up .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: