Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source?
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IndyCrosstrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

Folks,

Bought a 1973 Allstate by Sears utility trailer with home-made storage top. Purchased from the original owner. Overall, it was in good shape. I know several of you are into these and wondered where you source wheels, tires and bearings or other parts? This one has the original wheels and tires.

I need to at least start by greasing the bearings and wondered what the trick is. One sounds like it might be going bad due to a faint rhythmic, almost bearing like noise.

So far:
Grinded all rust, primed and painted underbody, bed, sides, tailgate and fenders
Cleaned, re-caulked and repainted top sides. Kept historic decals and added a few of the vintage.
New, safer coupler, wiring, and security chains.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

Nice looking trailer. Have you done a sear for 'All state trailer'? There are a few threads on there. When I was sourcing wheels as me were rotted thru, I found some but the spindle size wasn't the same. I ended up getting new spindles and hubs for my mine. I going to be running lug nuts hubs with newer rims. You may find rebuild parts for bearings and such from Eastern Marine.

Hopefully someone else who already completed their build may chime in. I'm about to get into mine again after completing my Squareback build. Good luck!
You may find tires here:
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_pageCCS=t#page=/items/8--Tires/1369
http://www.easternmarine.com/8-and-10-Trailer-Tire-Rim/
https://www.scooterworks.com/Parts-C1.aspx?k=tires&shopby=133

Some reference information:
http://www.singlewheel.com/
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
IndyCrosstrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Nice looking trailer. Have you done a sear for 'All state trailer'? There are a few threads on there. When I was sourcing wheels as me were rotted thru, I found some but the spindle size wasn't the same. I ended up getting new spindles and hubs for my mine. I going to be running lug nuts hubs with newer rims. You may find rebuild parts for bearings and such from Eastern Marine.

Hopefully someone else who already completed their build may chime in. I'm about to get into mine again after completing my Squareback build. Good luck!
You may find tires here:

Thank you for such a thoughtful and detailed response. I will check out all of these resources.
IndyCrosstrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:

You may find tires here:

I'm with you on the hub conversion idea. I don't have experience with this type of single-bolt mounted wheel trailer, but I like the idea of hubs with at least 4 lugs, for simplicity of sourcing components. Though I'm geeking out a bit over the original hubs, wheels and tires.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

IndyCrosstrek wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

You may find tires here:

I'm with you on the hub conversion idea. I don't have experience with this type of single-bolt mounted wheel trailer, but I like the idea of hubs with at least 4 lugs, for simplicity of sourcing components. Though I'm geeking out a bit over the original hubs, wheels and tires.

Folks like going OG with it all and that's cool. I looked for those pieces and found them after spending the money on the new stuff. The spindle size drove me that way but I'm ok with it as I like trying to keep that thing current with the old vibe since I'll be pulling it. my trailer is going to be near new as the floor and sub-frame was rotted as well as the top piece. I'll be hitting mine up soon and can't wait!

Oh, sorry for my spelling errors in my earlier post. Embarassed
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
IndyCrosstrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

Anyone know how to get wheels off to inspect the bearings/grease? Caps are on pretty tight don't want to damage.
IndyCrosstrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

Thought this might be helpful to some. Sears part number index for Allstate by Sears trailer 287.61520. Download the PDF here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kg3ax2klbmnw4yj/Allstate%2028761520.pdf?dl=0
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

IndyCrosstrek wrote:
Anyone know how to get wheels off to inspect the bearings/grease? Caps are on pretty tight don't want to damage.

I used some channel locks to pried mine off. Single nut with a cotter pin. Since I was replacing everything, it didn't matter much to me. Take your time with them. Good luck with your inspection and keep everything1
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
IndyCrosstrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

Was able to find factory bearings and races, and compatible tires and tubes. Back on the road! Thanks all
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

That's cool, what tires that use tubes did you get? The only ones I know of are the Cushman scooter tires from Coker. They are street legal and use tubes, and rated for some speed. No other tires have all that from what I can find. And don't run tubes in tubeless tires unless you find some that are made for it, they will heat up and fail.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
That's cool, what tires that use tubes did you get? The only ones I know of are the Cushman scooter tires from Coker. They are street legal and use tubes, and rated for some speed. No other tires have all that from what I can find. And don't run tubes in tubeless tires unless you find some that are made for it, they will heat up and fail.

I haven't bought my tires yet as my trailer's in the build stage but I'm leaning on the Continentals. I did see the cushman tires on
http://shop.ruppparts.com/480x8-Scooter-Minute-Miser-tire-wide-whitewall-ww480cushtire.htm
but after working up cost, I found the shipping charges were a bit too much. I had 5 tires shipped from SC to SD for less that 3 trailer tires so I continued to shop until I found what I think is reasonable. If you found another site offering these tires, please share it as I'd like to take a look at it.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

I only know of the Coker site and that price is the same basically but I don't know of any compatible Continental tires, are you sure they are dot and use tubes?
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
I only know of the Coker site and that price is the same basically but I don't know of any compatible Continental tires, are you sure they are dot and use tubes?

I do believe they use tubes. However the DOT piece I'd need to get clarification on. These are scooter tires so I'd think they'd need to be. I'll reach out and send a message on the specific tire and ask if they are DOT rated.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

Thanks, I saw the Shinco ones are like 50 bucks. I just wonder where are the Continentals made, and are they dot approved. the others are obviously Chinese or something like that, but see if they are dot also please because that price is low and it could be a great tire plus a spare or two would be cheap. I only have single wheels. Very Happy
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Thanks, I saw the Shinco ones are like 50 bucks. I just wonder where are the Continentals made, and are they dot approved. the others are obviously Chinese or something like that, but see if they are dot also please because that price is low and it could be a great tire plus a spare or two would be cheap. I only have single wheels. Very Happy

Sent an inquiry into the Conti tires from Scooterworks as well as the ScooterWest. Here's Scooterworks response

I asked an additional question on the where the tire was made. The response from Andy, "I’m not sure. Continental is a German company but their tires are made in several factories all over the world."

You can inquire with similar questions or give them a buzz. Don't think those tires are a bad deal. But, don't take my word for it as I haven't ordered them yet but that's what I'm looking at to outfit my trailer. Good luck with your search.

Sorry for the highjack Sad Embarassed
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

That is awesome!
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
IndyCrosstrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

Here is what we went with. Tubes and tires because the OE rims do not fit standard valve stems

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-5193181/overview/
IndyCrosstrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

Also, there is a great spare tire cover we found that fits the spare perfectly

http://www.discountramps.com/spare-tire-covers/p/S...oC8cPw_wcB
IndyCrosstrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate by Sears '73 two wheel restoration-where do you source? Reply with quote

Lastly, updated photo of the unit

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: