Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stupid fuel sending unit gasket
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Stupid fuel sending unit gasket Reply with quote

I'm having a heck of time getting my gasket to seal properly. I have adjusted multiple times and am still getting fuel leaking out of it. When I removed my old unit, it had a cork gasket, but the recommended gasket for a 78 with the sending unit is a rubber ring gasket.

Is there a trick to getting the gasket on? Would it be safe to use a cork gasket instead?

The fuel smell makes me sick, but I love driving the car, so I'm dealing with it for now. I've ordered a rubber ring gasket in case I ruined the one I have trying to get it installed properly.

Want to make sure it goes on correctly this time. Does it just sit on the tank and the unit sits on that? Does it attach somewhere on the unit prior to installing?

Appreciate the help!
Todd19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid fuel sending unit gasket Reply with quote

I just replaced the one on my '75 super. It's a lot easier with two people, my dad helped. You have to put the gasket in place on the sender, and put the sender in place and align the prongs so that it slips between the prongs on the tank. Then one person pushed down on the sender unit cap, the other person, with a big wrench, twists the sending unit a little in either direction to lock it in place. I hope that helps, good luck.
1974 Standard Beetle - Pacha - sold

http://classicveedubs.blogspot.com/
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid fuel sending unit gasket Reply with quote

Grease the gasket and ring so everything slides easily into place
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid fuel sending unit gasket Reply with quote

Thanks, I've had no issues getting the unit seated and installed, I just can't get the gasket right as it leaks a little. Maybe I'm not having issues because the gasket isn't right.

So if the gasket goes on the sender, does it "attach"? Is it supposed to stretch around the outer most edge?

I guess thats the issue I'm having is determining exactly where the gasket sits.

I've attached a visual to help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid fuel sending unit gasket Reply with quote

Todd19 wrote:
I just replaced the one on my '75 super. It's a lot easier with two people, my dad helped. You have to put the gasket in place on the sender, and put the sender in place and align the prongs so that it slips between the prongs on the tank. Then one person pushed down on the sender unit cap, the other person, with a big wrench, twists the sending unit a little in either direction to lock it in place. I hope that helps, good luck.

Any chance you can snap a quick up close photo?
Todd19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid fuel sending unit gasket Reply with quote

Here you go. Hope these work.

And it just rests in an inner ring, you can't see it through the slots.

Hope that helps!

Todd
1974 Standard Beetle - Pacha - sold

http://classicveedubs.blogspot.com/
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid fuel sending unit gasket Reply with quote

Todd19 wrote:
Here you go. Hope these work.

And it just rests in an inner ring, you can't see it through the slots.

Hope that helps!

Todd

Thanks so much, can't wait to get this problem off my list.
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid fuel sending unit gasket Reply with quote

I coated mine with some halomar type sealant. Seemed to help! No fumes now.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid fuel sending unit gasket Reply with quote

Go through all of your fuel system's vent hoses to make sure they aren't plugged. If they are, when your fuel heats up, it will push out of the best gasket at the sender.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid fuel sending unit gasket Reply with quote

About 2 decades ago, I installed a new fuel sender into my 1971 Super. If it was different, is was a similar design to yours, was pisst that it wasn't just screws like on the standard models.

Yes, I had some issues getting it installed, remember that, but do not remember the details. But I didn't have a helper. But I think I was 2 decades younger 2 decades ago.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Goldbug3318
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid fuel sending unit gasket Reply with quote

Hey guys somewhat reviving this old thread. So my fuel sending unit just stopped working... Evil or Very Mad Oh well it's old...LOL.

Any recommendations on a unit for my 71 SB?? I've seen a huge difference in price & many options. I'd like a good quality unit.

Thanks,
Mike

1990 Ford Mustang Coupe
2008 Ford Mustang Coupe
2003 Chevy Corvette
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid fuel sending unit gasket Reply with quote

Get a VDO if possible. You spend more money, but they work.

You might also get a new vibrator--the new type. Your sender may have gone kaput, not because it was old, but because your vibrator failed.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid fuel sending unit gasket Reply with quote

You might also get a new vibrator--the new type. Your sender may have gone kaput, not because it was old, but because your vibrator failed.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Goldbug3318
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid fuel sending unit gasket Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Thank you Tim, I will look it up!!

1990 Ford Mustang Coupe
2008 Ford Mustang Coupe
2003 Chevy Corvette
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: